Official Review: Nine Notches by TJ Spencer Jacques

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Nine Notches by TJ Spencer Jacques

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Nine Notches" by TJ Spencer Jacques.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Nine Notches is a poignant and riveting historical fiction written by TJ Spencer Jacques.

Best friends Sherman Campbell and Brandon Fortier are graduate students writing a dissertation for the completion of their doctorate. Sherman is the son of an OB-GYN and an attorney and councilman-at-large, and the whitest black guy Brandon has ever known because of Sherman’s light complexion. Brandon is the son of the fourth generation CEO of Fortier International Shipping which means he is a very rich white guy but he has the heart and soul of an artist, therefore race does not matter to him at all.

After one of their numerous arguments about Sherman being black and Brandon being rich, Sherman comes up with a topic for their dissertation which is the elimination of race. Their research leads them to a 160-year old secret that would change their lives as they know it.

This is an enthralling and unforgettable novel about slavery, racism, prejudice and discrimination among others. It also portrays culture, tradition and a little scheming and court drama. Through vivid descriptions and passionate narrative, the author successfully takes the readers inside the French Quarters in New Orleans of 1835. The book depicts not only the physical abuse the men and women of color endured and suffered at the time when the color of the skin decides the kind of life a person would lead, but also the emotional and mental scars that decorate the soul of dark-skinned people of that era in history.

The author masterfully wove a beautiful tale in an easy-to-read style that makes the readers want more than the already 500 plus pages of this book. Moreover, he created several admirable and endearing characters, first of which is Beatrice, the mulatto daughter of a free woman of color in St. Dominique by a third-generation colonial, who was abandoned by her father/master, auctioned then bought by her new master for his nocturnal pleasure, and birthed nine children into slavery. Not only was she pushed into a life with no options, but she also experienced fear and betrayal.

While the most important part of the book, for me, is the depiction of unyielding resolve to do what is right and necessary, what I like most is the unpredictability of the book; the surprising turns of events that make this book difficult to put down.

Obviously, I enjoyed it a lot. However, some of the minor characters were simply dropped from the story and were never mentioned again. Though other readers may not make a big deal out of it, it somehow gives me an incomplete feeling. Moreover, there are noticeable errors within the entire book which are mostly typos (like if I have run to away and his mom placed had the diary).

I, therefore, rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is a riveting and unforgettable novel about love, freedom, family and friendship among others. I recommend it to readers who enjoy historical fiction, love story, romance and rising above adversity. Scenes of sex, violence and cruelty may not be suitable for young readers.

Nine Notches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I get that same incomplete feeling when suddenly characters disappear without being mentioned. Sounds like an engaging read--thanks for your recommendation!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for your review and recommendation. Sounds like an amazing read.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I was engaged to your review 100% from the start to the end. This story seems to have something fascinating even though it consists of unfortunate events. As you mentioned Beatrice is a character that interest me. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Corhan2 wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 02:50 Thanks for your review and recommendation. Sounds like an amazing read.
You're welcome. It, sure is, an amazing read :)
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 04:33 I was engaged to your review 100% from the start to the end. This story seems to have something fascinating even though it consists of unfortunate events. As you mentioned Beatrice is a character that interest me. Thank you for your review!
You're welcome. It's one great book and I enjoyed it a lot.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for such an interesting review. Losing characters along the way may indeed seem awkward. Could it be that the author is contemplating to write a sequel?
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Espie wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 22:47 Thank you for such an interesting review. Losing characters along the way may indeed seem awkward. Could it be that the author is contemplating to write a sequel?
You're welcome. If he is, then I hope I'd get a chance to read it, too :)
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

This sounds like a plot of such huge scope that I'm impressed the author managed to write it in such an easy-to-read style. Your review was so interesting, thank you.
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

OrlaCarty wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 04:26 This sounds like a plot of such huge scope that I'm impressed the author managed to write it in such an easy-to-read style. Your review was so interesting, thank you.
You're welcome and thank you. The author has a way with words that makes historical facts easy to digest.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

"While the most important part of the book, for me, is the depiction of unyielding resolve to do what is right and necessary, what I like most is the unpredictability of the book; the surprising turns of events that make this book difficult to put down." With endearing characters and important social issues, the lesson sounds like a great addition. I also appreciate an unpredictable book.
Thanks for the review!
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Abigail R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 22:28 "While the most important part of the book, for me, is the depiction of unyielding resolve to do what is right and necessary, what I like most is the unpredictability of the book; the surprising turns of events that make this book difficult to put down." With endearing characters and important social issues, the lesson sounds like a great addition. I also appreciate an unpredictable book.
Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. It's one great and enjoyable historical fiction.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”