Official Review: Too Many Secrets by EB Corbin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Too Many Secrets by EB Corbin

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Too Many Secrets" by EB Corbin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine receiving a letter stating you were named as the executor and sole beneficiary of your aunt’s will. Now imagine you were clueless that aforementioned aunt even existed. EB Corbin’s Too Many Secrets: Book One of the Roxanne Boudreaux Trilogy is a suspenseful mystery with a hint of romance involving family secrets, betrayal, and murder.

Roxanne Boudreaux is on track to make partner at the law firm in Pittsburgh where she’s worked relentlessly for the past five years. She decides her aunt’s will can wait until after the partner meeting which is scheduled for the following week. However, when her boyfriend Richard suddenly breaks up with her Roxanne has a change of heart. She heads to the small town of Oilville where her aunt resided. She meets Callahan, the ruggedly handsome grandson of her aunt’s life-long friend, Chester. They discover the will is missing, and Roxanne isn’t the only one hunting for it. She was determined to swear off men after her recent break-up but Roxanne is finding it increasingly hard to resist Callahan’s charms. He seems to have a sixth sense for rescuing her when she’s in danger. Can she trust him? What happened to the will? Why didn’t her parents tell her she had an aunt?

My favorite aspect of this book was the chemistry and easy banter between Roxanne and Callahan. I found myself rooting for their budding romance, despite the cliched knight in shining armor references because Roxanne didn’t behave like a damsel in distress. To the contrary, her character is fiercely independent and headstrong. At the same time, I found Callahan’s sensitivity to provide exactly what Roxanne needed be it a hot meal, car towing or a place to sleep within hours of meeting her a tad unrealistic. Though truth be told, I for one don’t mind that kind of escapism from time to time. Overall I very much enjoyed the author’s writing style which was descriptive and reflected a sense of humor.

The mystery element of the story was engaging if not a little predictable. I anticipated portions of the plot fairly early on but the strong character development exemplified by the relationship between Roxanne and Callahan carried the story well enough that I didn’t mind. Having said that, there was a recurring situation that felt repetitive but I don’t want to reveal more regarding the plot.

Knowing that this was the first book in a trilogy, I was apprehensive about the possibility of an abrupt ending or a slew of unanswered questions. However, I was extremely satisfied with the book’s conclusion. Despite the predictability I mentioned in earlier chapters, I was caught completely unaware by a surprise included in the epilogue. Needless to say, I’ll be adding the second and third books in this trilogy to my reading list. I rate this entertaining book 4 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited as the only error I noted was a single typo.

This book will appeal to both cozy mystery fans and romance lovers. If you prefer intense thrillers without any element of predictability, this may not be the book for you. It should also be noted that while the book doesn’t include any sexual content, it does contain profanity comparable to a PG-13 movie.

Too Many Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This sounds really great! I love an effortless romance and even though you mention there is some predictability, I still want to check this one out! Great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Knowing that this was the first book in a trilogy, I was apprehensive about the possibility of an abrupt ending or a slew of unanswered questions. However, I was extremely satisfied with the book’s conclusion. Despite the predictability I mentioned in earlier chapters, I was caught completely unaware by a surprise included in the epilogue. Needless to say, I’ll be adding the second and third books in this trilogy to my reading list. I rate this entertaining book 4 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited as the only error I noted was a single typo.
Your conclusion makes this sound like a book worth reading. I like a little mystery and a little romance.
It is good to hear that it was edited well.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

JR Mercier wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 04:53 This sounds really great! I love an effortless romance and even though you mention there is some predictability, I still want to check this one out! Great review.
Thanks, JR. Enjoy!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LV2R wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 05:26
Your conclusion makes this sound like a book worth reading. I like a little mystery and a little romance.
It is good to hear that it was edited well.
Thank you for your comment. :tiphat:
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I would be ecstatic and thankful. I would also be disappointed but intrigued to know that I had an aunt whom I wasn't aware of for so many years. Lovely review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

crediblereading2 wrote: 31 Jul 2018, 09:40 I would be ecstatic and thankful. I would also be disappointed but intrigued to know that I had an aunt whom I wasn't aware of for so many years. Lovely review.
It would be nice to receive an unexpected inheritance. :o Thank you.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I love a good romance and I love a great mystery. I might just have to give this book a try. Great review. Thank You!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 07:03 I love a good romance and I love a great mystery. I might just have to give this book a try. Great review. Thank You!
Thank you, Amy. Enjoy!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love stories with family secrets. The romance element mixed in with the family drama has my interest piqued. This sounds like a very enjoyable book despite some elements of predictability and convenience.
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Awesome review! The blend of mystery and romance, along with the solid character development has definitely put this on my want-to-read list. Thanks :)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 10:46 I love stories with family secrets. The romance element mixed in with the family drama has my interest piqued. This sounds like a very enjoyable book despite some elements of predictability and convenience.
Thanks for stopping by. Hope you enjoy the book!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bonnie Shelby wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 13:15 Awesome review! The blend of mystery and romance, along with the solid character development has definitely put this on my want-to-read list. Thanks :)
Thanks, Bonnie. Enjoy!
amcmorris1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by amcmorris1 »

Great Review! Looking forward to reading this book!
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

The romance seems too cliche for my taste, so I still don't know whether I should start this book or pass. Nonetheless, this was an excellent review and taught me so much about the plot! :D
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”