Official Review: The Lushan Addiction by Warren Shulman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Lushan Addiction by Warren Shulman

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lushan Addiction" by Warren Shulman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The best way to describe The Lushan Addiction by Warren Shulman is "over-the-top." The book is about West Lambert, a former member of the Central Intelligence Agency, as he becomes embroiled in a plot involving a factory in a region of China, Lushan, that has found a way to create computer chips with startling speed and accuracy. What he finds out plunges his life into turmoil, as he must balance his own interests and relationships with preventing the secret of Lushan from causing global economic collapse.

There's a lot going on in this book, but throughout it all, the plot is cohesive and fully developed. I especially loved the fact that threats came from a variety of angles, including multiple villains - even, at times, West's purported allies. Nothing ever feels overwhelming, and the plot unfolds in a very natural way; it doesn't overly rely on coincidence or people breaking their established characters. This means that suspense pervades the novel, and I found myself really invested in finding out what was going to happen next.

Without a doubt, the book's main strength is in its action sequences. These never felt repetitive, and they always managed to draw me into the story in an exciting way, with a writing style that really put you in the characters' shoes. Even in quieter moments, West's background is apparent, and his skills as a former CIA operative always shine through. There's a great deal of detail in how China's culture is portrayed, too, and I loved that the setting was integrated into the story without feeling shallow or overwhelming.

The Lushan Addiction does have several key flaws, though. First, there's a tendency to over-explain certain concepts, even going so far as defining acronyms within the dialogue. You're assumed to know what a Dun & Bradstreet report is, but not to be able to deduce what Executive Service means. While these incidents were fairly uncommon, they never failed to break my immersion. There was also a myriad of grammatical errors in the novel, ranging from misplaced apostrophes and periods to confused homonyms.

I'd also be remiss not to mention the problems with how female characters are portrayed. While they are very capable, their stories still revolve entirely around the book's men, particularly West. They don't have their own ambitions, or, at least, these are never described. Because of this, despite their competence in areas like combat, they still feel one-dimensional.

At the end of the day, I rate The Lushan Addiction 3 out of 4 stars. It has an exciting plot rife with unique characters, and the detail in its worldbuilding and intrigue is astounding. However, I couldn't give it a perfect rating, largely due to grammatical errors. I'd recommend it to devout fans of traditional spy thrillers who don't mind some unpolished moments such as over-explanation or grammatical errors. In my opinion, people who don't already enjoy the genre are less likely to enjoy this book.

The Lushan Addiction
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not a fan of spy thrillers so I'm going to pass on this book. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Too many times it seems the women in books like this play a secondary role. I dislike that. Even if they are secondary, they can be fully developed in their own right. Anyway, it does sound intriguing. A factory that has to keep their product secret in order to prevent global economic collapse? Wow! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I do like crime thrillers but I grow weary of the one-dimensional female character. I enjoyed your review but I'll probably pass on the book.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

I think Lushan addiction is an addiction on its own and worth the rating you've bestowed it.

I love thrillers, and I think you've described this well as being exceptional save its flaws - which is normal. Thank you!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”