Official Review: Missing the Mark by Dr. John W. Ridley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Official Review: Missing the Mark by Dr. John W. Ridley

Post by CinWin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Missing the Mark" by Dr. John W. Ridley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raised in Georgia in a poor family of 13, Margaret Ann has high aspirations for her future. She decides to go to college, which was unheard of in her community, and become a nurse. Our protagonist is a naive but ambitious young woman. She meets a man, Jerry, who she thinks might be a good matrimonial match. Unfortunately, he is semi-psychotic, unemotional and an extremely mysterious ne'er-do-well. They marry and have two wonderful children. While Margaret Ann consistently achieves in her life, Jerry continually drags himself down. As he is fighting various job lay-offs, IRS audits and problems dealing with his criminal past, their relationship remains tenuous at best.

Time progresses and Jerry gets even stranger. Margaret Ann inadvertently learns of his criminal past and the reoccurring conversations that he has 'hidden money'. Where is this money, if in fact it even exists, and what exactly happened to Jerry before he met Margaret Ann? When Jerry mysteriously dies, the answers to these questions die with him. It is up to Margaret Ann to figure out the mystery all by herself.

I rate Missing the Mark by Dr. John Ridley 2 out of 4 stars for a variety of reasons. The novel was riddled with grammatical errors that made it hard to read. Not only was the content depressing, but it was a bit incredulous that Margaret Ann would go blindly through a relationship for over 20 years, not questioning but going along with the uncertainty of their lives. The novel just had a very heavy feel to it.

One thing I enjoyed about the book was the intense sense of mystery and danger that occurred about half way through the reading. I also liked the character of Margaret Ann. She was a very strong 'go-getter'. Her naivety, motivation and caring added a lot of depth to the novel. This excerpt shows a bit of the strength that Ann Margaret possessed. "She had little time for studies. With singleness of purpose she advanced more quickly than her peers through hard work and diligence. Fighting against the sin of pride, she justified in feeling a measure of pride in her accomplishments against the odds of her heritage." Jerry was the typical bum that we all love to hate. Their two children seemed interesting and, with a bit more character development, would be wonderful co-characters.

I would strongly recommend this novel to people that live, or were raised around Georgia because they could relate not only to the terrain but also to the societal upbringing of that culture.

Missing the Mark
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CinWin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

Who in the right mind can get married to the semi-psychotic and unemotional guy for like 20 years? The plot seems questionable. Thanks for a helpful and informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Unfortunately, I think it's probably more realistic than you'd think as far as their relationship. I think people so badly want it to be so, that they turn a blind eye. Still, I do think this would be too heavy for me, and the grammatical errors would be distracting. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 08:57 Unfortunately, I think it's probably more realistic than you'd think as far as their relationship. I think people so badly want it to be so, that they turn a blind eye. Still, I do think this would be too heavy for me, and the grammatical errors would be distracting. Thanks.
I also agree that this is far too common. (Especially among those who are trying not to be sinfully prideful, I've found. Sometimes they see wanting better for themselves- wanting what they deserve- as being prideful, especially if they've been raised in circumstances where people- especially women- are frequently treated poorly and not expected to want much out of life.) However, I can see how this can be frustrating for the reader (it's always painful to see in real life!), and it sounds like the author didn't do the best job of helping it make sense to the audience. Thanks for the thoughtful review, CinWin!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”