Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abate the Nuisance" by Bill Sage.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abate the Nuisance, by Bill Sage, is a crime fiction novel, chiefly about blackmail. Al Roth and Jake Gertner are childhood best friends. In the past, Al and Jake, as kids, were active members of a street gang, and they liked hanging out with older mobsters. Later on, as young men, they both joined the United States Army. After they were discharged from the army, Al started college while Jake turned to a life of crime, as a hit man. Al graduated from college, went to law school, and became a deputy district attorney. Fortunately, he was appointed a judge to the Orange County Municipal Court, and afterward, elevated to the superior court.

Now, Arnold Goldman, a renowned Mafia attorney, gets wind of a crime Al and Jake committed in Pontiac while they were in high school. He threatens to go to the Commission on Judicial Performance and the Pontiac Police Department with his discovery unless Al makes some unfair rulings in his client's favor. Al is a good judge, and to save his career, he sets an airtight plan in motion to silence Goldman.

Unveiling the activity of the Mafia, this narrative is full of fascinating action. It starts in an intriguing manner and then flows smoothly. Whereas it's a second book in a series, it can stand alone because it ends satisfactorily. It has a well-organized and suspenseful plot, which kept me glued until the last page. Bill's writing style is very clear. The dialogues are realistic and entertaining, even the court procedure.

Intermittently, the author included a lot of backstories. Thus, the narration goes back and forth in time. I don't actually like this manner of writing because it leaves me hanging for a while before the next event in the present is revealed. Anyway, I followed the story and enjoyed reading it. It's full of surprising twists. However, it has some scenes showing extreme violence, and I don't think it's a good read for youngsters or readers that don't like books with excessive violence.

Sincerely, I can't say there is a good guy in the tale. All the characters go to the extremes to get what they want, both male and female. Nevertheless, they are intriguing. Most of them are sneaky but witty. Hence, their conversations are funny most times. What amazes me most about Al, the protagonist, is that he is a good judge in spite of his affiliation with mobsters. The author provided enough details about all the characters, and I could easily relate to them.

In conclusion, the book is appealing and engaging. It was professionally edited; I saw just two typographical errors. Therefore, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I don't have any reason to rate it lower, and I recommend it to fans of crime and thriller fiction.

Abate the Nuisance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I'm always game for a good crime thriller so count me in! :dance: I'm off to find the first book. Awesome review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good to know that Al is adamant to uphold the rule of law by not letting his past affecting his decision-making power as a judge. This sounds like a good read. Thank you for your review on this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I find that I don't like reading about the Mafia, even though I typically like books in this genre. Thanks for the review though!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

When I first started reading your review I thought Al was the good guy with morals when it came to his work as a judge, however you later said that there is no one good in the story, which is rare in the world of books because many of them comprises good guys against bad guys. Very interesting. I would like to say this book is unique. I'm going to add it on my to-read list. Thanks for your enchanting review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Blackmail is never a good thing to do. Most persons who threaten to blackmail another usually end up maimed or dead. Thank you for a very interesting review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This is one of my favorite genres but I don't usually enjoy Mafia-related plots. I appreciate your interesting review.
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Oh my, it sounds like the plot of this novel would be an awesome one. All of them are bad, wow. I am definitely reading this book.

Thank you very much!!!
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I am not sure I have ever seen a mob story I've enjoyed but your review makes this very intriguing.
Thanks for the review!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A crime thriller revolving around a corrupted judge and the mobs sounds intriguing. Adding a lot of backstories can bogged down the story if not done well. Interesting that there aren't any good guys in the tale. I don't think it is for me, but I am glad you found it engaging. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by NhkeiraT »

A really great review. Will definitely be reading this as soon as I can get my hands on it.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Childhood secrets can break a man. Will Judge Roth's disbar him and put him behind bars? The Mafia are cool to read about; just avoid them like the plague in real life. I am a sucker for courtroom drama. So this one seems to be my thing.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Miriam Molina wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 07:51 Childhood secrets can break a man. Will Judge Roth's disbar him and put him behind bars? The Mafia are cool to read about; just avoid them like the plague in real life. I am a sucker for courtroom drama. So this one seems to be my thing.
I guess you'll enjoy reading it, Miriam. :tiphat:
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

This book looks amazing. Al and jake have been through quite a bit together, and this novel does not seem to disappoint. I love crime dramas.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

Thank you for such an informative review. I'm a fan of books that go back and forth in time, as long as it's done well and not confusing in any way.
I've popped this in my 'to read' bookshelf, although being the stickler that I am, I'm going to have to find the first book and read it before this one :wink:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”