Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Post by Vickie Noel »

Look at that! A former mobster becomes a superior court judge and now some ghosts from his past are poised to ruin his present! This book sounds so my type! I want to see how Al handles this Arnold fellow. This goes up to my reading shelf pronto!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for your review. You did an execellent job summarizing the book! While the plot does seem fascinating, I read the first few pages and I wasn’t feeling the flow of the story. I think I’ll pass on this one for now.
Odomodo1
Currently Reading: Something Happened Today
Bookshelf Size: 34

Post by Odomodo1 »

So intriguing, the novel shows how Jdge Roth devices a plan to take out an enemy. Half the time you don’t know why he is doing certain things. There are hints like “drawers”and “shaving”. But it all becomes clear in the end. The banter between Jake and Al is realistic, funny and enjoyable. You want to be there with them. Once you start reading this book, you’ll never put it down,I am already a fan, you should too. Thanks
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I've always loved watching crime thrillers. The life of AI and Jake seems like an enriching story. The gang wars sounds interesting in the review. I would like to read it. Congrats on BOTD.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

The plot sounds interesting, although I think I might have figured out what will happen already. Crime fiction isn't my top favorite but it's still fascinating when done well, so I might still give it a try. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Callistus Ibenye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-callistus-ibenye.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Callistus Ibenye »

Great review. I am glad you liked it. A crime fiction novel, about blackmail, is a book I would like to read. I'll add this book to my list. Thank you for sharing.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I generally like legal trillers and crime fiction, but I don't think this is the novel for me. I've read a sample and I didn't connect with either the characters or the story itself. For me, a judge who uses a hit man to wipe out some past misdeeds is far from being a good judge. Besides, the dialogues sounded awkward and repetitive. Thanks for your review, though.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Oh wow. A crime book with a judge that has a shady past. I am intrigued of what is going to be the outcome. Can he win over the blackmailing? Can he save his carrer? A book filled with fascinating action, suspenseful plot and realistic and entertaining easy writing. This book is just for me.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. The first few chapters had instances of romance, crime, etc. portrayed in an intriguing manner. This book will appeal to the audience interested in such genre as mentioned in the official review by Rosemary Wright.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. I usually like crime thrillers. I’m not sure about the whole Mafia angle. It’s also intriguing that there’s no good people in this story. Thanks for your review.
Dasdilip
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 99

Post by Dasdilip »

Awesome review,nicelly plotted crime novel.Though blackmail is not good things for society,I will definitely read this book.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I really look forward to reading this book. It looks like a book am really going to enjoy reading. Thanks for the great review.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Set in the '80s, Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage is Book 2 in a series of crime thrillers and suspense about guys with a checkered past and present. I thought the protagonists were working for or had connections to the intelligence community during the Cold War based on the Amazon summary of the book. I have started reading the book but not far enough. Rosemary Wright's review shows that the protagonists Al Roth and Jake Gertner's ties with the Mafia have more relevance in the second book in this series. In 1983, Judge Al Roth encounters an old adversary, Atty. Arnold Goldman, a Mafia attorney, who has an ax to grind against Roth and his friends. Roth's team works to outmaneuver Goldman but learns that Goldman has set a plan to frame them for his own murder in case he ends up dead. His moral ambiguities aside, Judge Al Roth is the hero and good guy of this series. Roth is a good judge but he does not hesitate to tap his friend, Jake, to get rid of unrepentant criminals who can hire the best lawyers to get out of death row. The book is written tightly, no meandering thoughts and reflections. The dialogue is witty, sharp and realistic. This is for mature readers, given the characters' lives and moral codes in shades of gray. I'm looking forward though to get to know Linda more, the lone significant female character in the novel.
Last edited by Shas F on 21 Oct 2018, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Sounds like a great book to read - thanks for the brilliant review. I love crime stories and the mafia always add an additional nice touch to a storyline!
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

Between the mafia and the successful plot, this sounds fantastic. I can't wait to check out sage's work.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”