Official Review: You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: You, The People by Pablo Digenio

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You, The People" by Pablo Digenio.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Beware fellow readers! There are no happy endings ahead. You, The People will take you to the dark side and immerse you in a world filled with humans getting what they deserve. With five gruesome short stories, this read is swift and brutal in its execution.

Pablo Digenio crafts a masterful piece of horror by introducing a cast of monsters that are very human. Sure, there are a few seriously creepy beasties scurrying around the pages, but the true heinous monsters are the humans in these short stories. It served to make the tales he wove creepier because most readers will be able to relate to these characters. Unchecked ambition, laziness, procrastination – the list goes on. Everyone will find something in You, The People that will have them shifting uncomfortably while glancing around nervously.

You, The People was written with a flair for the noir genre, something that was echoed by the brilliant illustrations that accompanied each short story. The author wrote the scenes with stabs of colour that highlighted the cruelty and gruesome scenes, ensuring an immersive read. Every scene was also a crazy mix of epic detail and indifference to the horrific things that were happening. It was brutal and exactly what every great horror should be.

I also applaud Pablo Digenio for his unapologetic writing. Every character and chapter have a theme, and the author doesn’t shy away from what he is trying to portray. The violence is gruesome, and the consequences are severe. The horror genre has been filled with many books that want to appeal to the masses. The author of You, The People knows the audience he wants to attract, and he sticks with it. I also loved the seamless transition between the short stories. Each story’s lead character is vastly different from the rest and Pablo Digenio’s ability to create them all so unique – each with a different tone and feel – was bordering on creepy. That’s a good thing, I swear.

The only problem I found with You, The People were a few minor grammar errors, and sentences that were written awkwardly. Some sentences were stretched out to their limits and created for a bit of a stumbling read. While they might not be considered technically incorrect, I believe a professional editor would have shuffled the sentences around to increase the readability.

This might be redundant but just as a small disclaimer, this book is for those 16 or above. There is a great deal of gore and a few extremely disturbing scenes that make this a big ‘NO’ for younger readers.

I rate You, The People 3 out of 4 stars. A round of professional editing will clean up a truly eerie and imaginative horror. I would recommend this read to those that are looking for a gruesome, unique and noir-style horror book that doesn’t hold back on the gory details.

You, The People
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I enjoy horror to an extent, but truly gruesome and gory details turn me off. Thank you for the honest review I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Now, this totally sounds like my kind of book, despite the grammatical flaws. The gorier and more gruesome a book is, the more I love it, and this seems like just the kind of no-holds-barred book that I've been missing. I also like that it has a unique premise that follows a particular theme... Thanks so much for the introduction!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a very nice review. Horror really just isn't my thing, though, whether in film or book. And gruesome horror is something different altogether. I appreciate the information, but I will pass. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like an impressive horror, but probably a bit too gory for my taste.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jonida
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jonida.html
Latest Review: The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Jonida »

Interesting book, and your review gives a lot of credit. Not my taste but I would like to try to read it...
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

Nice review! I am so NOT into gore and horror. I am passing on this one, thanks.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

Sounds like an engrossing book, despite that grammatical errors. Thank you for the great review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a truly amazing book, I'm definitely intrigued by this. I always love it when my thinking is challenged. Thanks for the amazing review!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Never, never, never, I hate horror! I thought this was political until I read the review. I have to say that I absolutely love your line "Some sentences were stretched out to their limits...", still laughing about that and remembering so many like that I've read. The way you expressed it is so clever!
tanyas33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanyas33.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by tanyas33 »

This book sounds super amazing! I love how it’s a bit of a reality check for humans in the noire genre. I also find it a plus that illustrations accompany each story! I feel like that makes this book truly unique. I’m glad you enjoyed the read!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

AmySmiles wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:08 I enjoy horror to an extent, but truly gruesome and gory details turn me off. Thank you for the honest review I'm glad you enjoyed the book.
I'm not much into that but this book made it okay. :lol2: Thank you for the comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

MsTri wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 13:30 Now, this totally sounds like my kind of book, despite the grammatical flaws. The gorier and more gruesome a book is, the more I love it, and this seems like just the kind of no-holds-barred book that I've been missing. I also like that it has a unique premise that follows a particular theme... Thanks so much for the introduction!
OOH! It sounds like you will love this one. So glad I could help. :tiphat: And thank you for the kind comment.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 14:09 This is a very nice review. Horror really just isn't my thing, though, whether in film or book. And gruesome horror is something different altogether. I appreciate the information, but I will pass. Thanks.
It's a shame but I totally understand that. To each, his own and horror can be a bit difficult, for lack of a better word. :lol2: Thank you for dropping by!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 14:17 Great review, it sounds like an impressive horror, but probably a bit too gory for my taste.
That's a shame but I can totally understand. :tiphat: Thank you for dropping by.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”