Official Review: 24 Hours by Carl Strom

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: 24 Hours by Carl Strom

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "24 Hours" by Carl Strom.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

24 Hours by Carl Strom is a paranormal novel that comes to being when a celebrity-DJ is kidnapped. While writing his Urban Design Master's Thesis on crime prevention in London, Carl Strom wasn't able to glean the kind of knowledge that could be used for a novel. He learned that police know far more about residential layouts – strangely enough – than salacious homicide investigations. Carl lives in Sweden, where he works as a creative tech expert in urban planning. He also writes thrillers of varying sub-genres.

When a planned pretend kidnapping in a bachelorette party turns out to be a real kidnapping, the wealthy Von Mullers of Stockholm hires detectives Martin Brunner and his private eye, Daniel, to investigate their daughter's kidnapping. In the process, the detectives are contacted by the ruthless abductors and Martin has no option but to surrender his colleague into the arms of the captors.

With only 24 Hours to rescue Kylee before she is killed, Martin gets ominous leads behind the kidnapping. While his instincts tell him there is an inside man in The Von Mullers' City Apartment, things take a new turn when Kylee's father Christian von Muller is also kidnapped and Kylee's fiancé, Douglas, kills her best friend, Stacey, inside Kylee’s room.

Though the book seemed to end shortly after I began reading, I enjoyed the action-packed description of events that left me wanting more. The character development has also worked magic for the novel with each character fitting well into the roles being played. I enjoy reading novels where characters grow as the story builds up and this is not an exception. Crime, romance, and drug trafficking are the main themes described and form the backbone of the anecdote.

What I liked about the book is the fact the reader is kept guessing about the possible inside man in The Von Mullers' City Apartment. At first, I kept wondering who between Stacey and Douglas could be behind Kylee’s kidnapping but I was stunned as the story kept unfolding with more suspense till the end. I must confess I was caught off-guard when the story took an unexpected turn to drug trafficking that got me totally engrossed. Unfortunately for me, this was the end of part one of 24 Hours. The writing style is also remarkable and befits all readers.

The book presented only two errors. For instance, the author wrote:" … but we'll do our own investigating…," "He's leant me his car…"
These errors were not a hindrance at all and I won't hesitate to award the book 4 out of 4 stars. For the lovers of action-packed thrillers, I would recommend the book, which I believe won't be a disappointment. However, there are scenes of sex and violence that may not be appropriate for young readers.

24 Hours
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love it when a thriller keeps me guessing until the end. Great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

There are so many kidnappings, killings, and betrayal in this story. I hope Kylee will be released from her abductors. I am really left in suspense. Thank you for your exciting review.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

First and foremost, Kylee's kidnapping was a well planed one for sometime. Who ever the person he may be he has been watching her moves for a long time, but the other criminal activities cause a confusion in me. Too bad the story abruptly ended a book like this deserves a strong start and an end. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Wow, this book sounds amazing - everything I like!! Thank you for the review!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Something about the description doesn't excite me, but when you say that the book felt like it ended shortly after you started reading it leads me to believe you read it in no time at all which, to me, says a lot for a book. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

A paranormal novel with a 4-star rating. This is my jam. Adding it to my bookshelves.Thanks for the review. I'll share it today.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

An action-packed thriller with well-developed characters is my cup of tea. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

Cecilia_L wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 14:13 I love it when a thriller keeps me guessing until the end. Great review!
Thanks, you will surely the book.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

crediblereading2 wrote: 06 Aug 2018, 18:48 There are so many kidnappings, killings, and betrayal in this story. I hope Kylee will be released from her abductors. I am really left in suspense. Thank you for your exciting review.
Thanks for reading. Actually the book ended while I thought it was beginning.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 13:06 An action-packed thriller with well-developed characters is my cup of tea. I enjoyed your review. Thanks.
Thanks. I assure you it's a book you don't want to put down once you begin reading it.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

Roc Madness wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 08:56 A paranormal novel with a 4-star rating. This is my jam. Adding it to my bookshelves.Thanks for the review. I'll share it today.
Thanks. I know you will enjoy it.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 04:21 First and foremost, Kylee's kidnapping was a well planed one for sometime. Who ever the person he may be he has been watching her moves for a long time, but the other criminal activities cause a confusion in me. Too bad the story abruptly ended a book like this deserves a strong start and an end. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for the views. I believe this is book one because at the end the author promises the soon launching of book two.
kwahu
Currently Reading:

Post by kwahu »

AmySmiles wrote: 07 Aug 2018, 13:30 Something about the description doesn't excite me, but when you say that the book felt like it ended shortly after you started reading it leads me to believe you read it in no time at all which, to me, says a lot for a book. Thanks for the review.
I think the author was laying a foundation for a series. From the way the book is introduced and the way it ends, the reader is left with more questions than answers. I think that is why he promises a book two at the end of the book. Thanks for your views.
zaidan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by zaidan »

i love it!love this kind of books...waiting for youre knight and shining armoured to save you...actions romance book is love...

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”