Official Review: A Senior's Bedtime Reader

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: A Senior's Bedtime Reader

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Senior's Bedtime Reader" by Christopher Oelerich.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

According to the first few Google searches on the world wide web, the age at which one becomes a senior citizen is 65-years-old. I will be "only" 50 in October of this year, so I threw caution to the wind in choosing to read Christopher Oelerich's compilation, A Seniors Bedtime Reader, Volume I (author's spelling). Ostensibly geared towards the more aged of us, this collection includes seven stories comprised of one novella, two novelettes, and four short stories. The genres for these tales encompass pretty much everything under the "CMTH" umbrella, especially Crime/Mystery.

Even though I'm not quite ready for my AARP subscription, I had no trouble following along with, and enjoying, the tales therein. They read very much like any other Crime or Mystery or Thriller that one can read, with the exception of the protagonists being more mature. The Waiter, for example, which sees Etta and Joe Rox trying to avoid a serial killer who has set his sights on Etta, has just the right blend of action and suspense, with a measure of humor thrown in. Joe used to be in the Army and Special Forces, so there's no shortage of skills on his end. Another favorite story, Third Times a Charm (author's spelling), reminded me of any number of romantic comedies where the man and woman spend years passing like ships in the night. I screamed at my Nook and clinched my hands into fists many a time while reading that yarn. 'Will Pat Ricketts and Nick Slater EVER get together?' I wondered, just like I wondered if Harry and Sally would ever see the light in When Harry Met Sally. In the thriller section was The EXIT (author's capitalization), a slow burner about a man who sees the spitting image of a couple that he and his brothers wronged, thereby causing the former's early deaths. What could these specters possibly want? I won't give an overview of the other four stories, but suffice it to say that I adored each tale. With every story I read, I proclaimed, "THIS one's my favorite!" just to end up saying that about the next yarn and the next one and so on. With that being said, I will note that in most of the stories, the action scenes were generally few and far between. When they did occur, they weren't very graphic, so perhaps that's one thing that the author did in deference to the senior readers. The two exceptions might be The Waiter and Emily and Mary Alice go to The Strip (author's capitalization), both of which had a fair amount of murders, but even these scenes aren't overly gory.

Now, I admit that when I first read the title for this compilation, I pictured stereotypical old people doddering about, complaining about arthritis and gout. There was none of that to be found in this book though! I loved that the seniors in these stories are still vital, full of vim & vigor, and - dare I say it? - even sexy! I frequently even forgot that I was reading about people in their twilight years. Many of the characters start their tales in their "prime", aging during the middle of the stories and noting that "I'm too old for this", but I can only hope that I'll have such energy in the next couple of decades. Additionally, as mentioned above, many of the male characters had backgrounds in the military, resulting in great action scenes. I was also glad to read about strong females. There are no damsels in distress or kowtowing wives in these tales. The women in these stories are proud, independent partners and ladies that I wouldn't want to mess with! Emily and Mary Alice, in particular, take front and center in the novelette Emily and Mary Alice go to The Strip and show the men how it's done. I'll sum this pair up with three words: former female assassins. Even poor Truly Langdorf, who is mentally abused throughout her marriage, eventually gets the best of her partner - and I use that term loosely - in the wonderful story, It’s a Dogs World.

As much as I'd love to bestow four stars on A Seniors Bedtime Reader, I must subtract one star because the typography leaves much to be desired. I honestly think that the author just wrote the tales and didn't give them so much as a once-over when he was done. There were errors of literally every kind, from punctuation mishaps to misspellings to compound words being written as two separate words ("brief case", for instance). The formatting was also a mess. There was often no delineation between speakers or extra spaces between scenes, and there were many times where I had to go back and reread in order to make sure I knew what was going on. In the first story, A Chance Encounter, the author prefaced each scene with the date, but there was no space between what should have been a heading and the text. In addition, there were inconsistencies in the dates. This tale had dates going from Sat, Apr 5 to Mon, Apr 3 and from Mon, June 5 to Mon, June 13. Anyone who knows how to read a calendar can see that these were incorrectly calculated. This same story had one character say that he was going to St. George, but thereafter the text indicated that he was going to Mesquite. In addition, sometimes the paragraphs were indented and sometimes they were not, which wreaked havoc with my eyes. The author also had a bad habit of ending sentences with commas; after a few times, I figured out that he was using the commas as lead-ins, but they were still grammatically incorrect. I very strongly urge Mr. Oelerich to hire an editor in order to take this collection to the next level.

Thanks to the myriad of writing missteps, I'm forced to give A Seniors Bedtime Reader 3 out of 4 stars but I do so with a heavy heart. The stories themselves are phenomenal, so I hope seniors and anyone else who likes the CMTH genres will give this collection a read. One last note: Even though this book title has "bedtime" in it, you may want to read it earlier in the day lest you end up getting very little sleep. This is especially true for the tale Conversations with The Angel of Death (author's capitalization).

Also, if we one day get another Indiana Jones movie with a 90-year-old Harrison Ford or another Rocky Balboa tale with a 100-year-old Sylvester Stallone, remember I told you: Old people can kick butt, too!

A Senior's Bedtime Reader
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
drunyan
Currently Reading: A Kingdom's Cost
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drunyan.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by drunyan »

I liked your review. Being over the age of 50 doesn't take us out of the game! :)

I might read this book, even though it has the errors. It sounds like something up my alley, since I like mysteries.
I am back! 4 months after radiation treatments and still cancer-free!
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

I love this review - as "senior's" is included in the title, I would never think to pick it up as a twenty-two year old. But the tales you describe don't seem to be restricted to an age group at all, more so just based on them! Thank you for being so detailed.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I don't think age has got anything to do with this if one is truly happy at heart. Thanks for the detailed review but I will pass this read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors, but this still seems like one to be enjoyed. It doesn't sound like you have to be in your "twilight" years to enjoy this story as long as you enjoy protagonists in their olden years. I love that the main characters are still young at heart. It gives me hope when I'm already feeling old at a young age. :D Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

When I first read the title of the book, I was thinking it might be a little bit scary to read it at night. But through your intriguing review, I find the book inviting with its interesting short stories.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I enjoyed reading your review! I’m glad you clarified that the stories could be enjoyed by any age, because the title leads me to believe otherwise. I’d love to read about these young-at-heart characters and their adventures. Thanks for the detailed review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm not close to being 65 but a little over half-way there, I find this book intriguing and since you mention any age would enjoy it I may just pick this book up to see for myself. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Raju Chacko
Currently Reading: What Makes America Great
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raju-chacko.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by Raju Chacko »

I would like to sincerely compliment you for writing such a thorough review! It's very clear that you have scrutinized the book to a level of such minute detail that both the author, as well as your readers will surely benefit much from. Very good work! Congrats !!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The characters in this story remind me of the Golden Girls who displayed a lot of sass at their age. Thank you for a wonderful review.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

It's sad when you have to cut off a star because of the typos and editing mishaps. Your review has done justice to this book and the story sounds compelling though I'll give it a pass :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I like the sound of ‘murder for the more mature’, it has a ring to it. Such a pity over the editing.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Odeyemi sumbo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Odeyemi sumbo »

I think I might try put my interest in it,even though there are errors but it sound cool by reading it in a cool and relaxing way.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

This is what I imagine when I picture my friends and me in 40 years. Being older doesn't stop the fun. Really loved your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

The idea that you can enjoy this book SO much in the face of all the editing issues really speaks to how strong the storytelling is. I am glad you enjoyed it so much. The problems you mentioned would keep me from enjoying the book, as those kinds of issues make me feel like I am a little crazy (and that it is I who has the problem with grammar). Thanks for your review! I hope the author takes the time to have the book edited!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”