Official Review: Ends of Madness

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Farmgurl1
Currently Reading: In the Shadow of the Master
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-farmgurl1.html
Latest Review: Betrayal of Justice by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Ends of Madness

Post by Farmgurl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ends of Madness" by Elizabeth Tebby Germaine.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel End of Madness by Elizabeth Tebby Germaine is a thriller and the third book in a trilogy. The story is a love story about the main character Jonathan and his lover Pamela, with many twists and turns throughout.

The story starts with a mysterious scene in the Manor House where we find out that one character named Belinda has disappeared, and the other characters seem to be upset and distracted about one thing or another. Jonathan is the main character in the book, and he has recently accepted ownership of Manor House formerly owned by his best friend George. Jonathan is a former vicar and is searching for answers to his questions in the scripture and questions his faith constantly.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I felt like it was very hard to follow. Most of the narrative in the book was dialogue between characters and it was difficult to understand what was going on in the story. The book seemed to revolve around some mystery with Jonathan that I never really quite understood. It seemed as if he was battling against his own thoughts and trying to find answers that didn’t exist. I also never grasped what The Manor House was supposed to be, although the general vibe was that it was a disturbing place. Prior to Jonathan owning it there were some type of games involved, but Jonathan turned it into a refuge for misfits and single mothers. Several of the characters in the story were underdeveloped and I struggled to understand why they held any importance to the story. I also found several spelling errors throughout the book, which was distracting.

The part of the story I did enjoy was the love story between Jonathan and Pamela. It seemed like they really cared for each other, but because of various real and perceived barriers were not able to be together. Jonathan is a sensitive character who wanted to be able to help people but lost his focus somewhere in the book. I could feel his pain and struggle to fight his own mind, which was interesting to follow.

In summary, I think the book possibly would have made more sense if I had read the previous books in the trilogy. I think that would have made the characters more easily understood and the story would have been easier to grasp. I would recommend readers start at the beginning of the trilogy because I don’t think this book is meant to be a stand-alone.

Ends of Madness
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Farmgurl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I really dislike hard-to-follow stories. It's too bad the plot wasn't better developed, but I enjoyed your honest review.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I think this one isn't for me. Thank you for the review though.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

The plot sounds started off so interesting but then it peters off into something so confusing. Thank you for your honest review.
stbrians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stbrians.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by stbrians »

I do not like a book full of dialogue. They mar the flow of the tale
Osondudivine1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Osondudivine1 »

Am still on the book
It started boring
But it have started becoming interesting😂
Kiggundu2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kiggundu2000 »

To me the book starts mestiriously and that's enough to make it sound interesting to be but the fact that there's a chance of reading it to the end and then still endup failing to understand it then that gives me no reason to read the book at all
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Hard to follow, is not going to be something I'm interested currently, I have too many other distractions right now. Thanks for the review though.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”