Official Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Izesicle
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle » 23 Jul 2018, 18:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "With Malice Aforethought" by Thonie Hevron.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you stumble into a hateful group with a sinister plot knowing that you are hopelessly undermanned, what would you do? If the promising future of your loved one is threatened, how would you act? With Malice Aforethought by Thone Hevron shows the choices that people make out of love – love of family, of country and of self. It is the third book of the Nick and Meredith series. They are partner detectives so the series falls under the crime thriller genre.

Members of the Violent Crimes Investigation team, Nick Reyes and Meredith Ryan were investigating a possible homicide in the remote Sonoma county hills, guided by Raymond Cavanaugh, a seasoned rancher who found the body near his property. While trudging through the woods with limited phone signal, they unwittingly walked into the zone of the militia of the Covenant Family, a white nationalist extremist group. The Black Corps Team, headed by Steiner, twisted the beliefs and loyalties of the Family followers to achieve his own ends. He fanned their belief in being sovereign and that this allows them to decide which law to obey or ignore. He threatened to poison the local water with a bacterium that sickened half a million people unless he was paid handsomely not to do so.

There are beautifully-written phrases sprinkled throughout the book, such as, “Ferrua nodded automatically, then smiled when he got it” and “billowing rooster tail of dust”. The descriptions of scenery were very good, it was as if I was transported to the Sonoma hills. The details of police work felt authentic and believable; it was apparent that the author did her research. Those who are reading the book for the Nick and Meredith storyline will be gratified to learn that the book devotes a good amount of time to their relationship. The will-they won’t-they segments were discussed well to show their inner conflict now that Nick has been promoted. Despite this being the third book in the series, a reader who tackles this book first without having read the previous books will feel caught up through the retelling. I was rooting for Nick and Meredith for being mature in their approach. I also liked how Meredith bonded with Cavanaugh so they made a good team.

I was hoping for more physical descriptions though, to help differentiate the characters in my mind. There were also some continuity weaknesses, like it wasn’t clear from which detective Steiner stole the gun. The death scene in the beginning was almost forgettable; it should have been described more vividly to focus on the action. Punctuation errors were too many to count - the capitalization of the word “grandpa” was inconsistent, commas were either missing or not needed, there were sentence fragments that were better off combined, and there was misuse of question marks and quotation marks.

Due to the need for a thorough purging of typographical errors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Those who have a strong aversion to far-right rhetoric might do well to avoid this book. Guns are used but there are no overly gory descriptions of violence. Minimal curse words are used by the villains and there are no explicit sex scenes. Overall, it is a good read for its genre and is recommended to those who like military-themed action books.

With Malice Aforethought
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Izesicle's review? Post a comment saying so!

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Letters From The War by Amanda Bryant

Post by AmySmiles » 30 Jul 2018, 09:44

This doesn't sound like something I'm interested in, and since I haven't read the first two books I'll pass, but thanks for the honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: CISO Defenders of the Cyber Realm
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: The Ordinary Doll by Mario Kiefer

Post by Cecilia_L » 30 Jul 2018, 17:49

Sounds like an intriguing plot. I appreciate that you mentioned the book can stand on its own as I haven't read the first two. Thanks for the interesting review!

Ever_Reading
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ever_Reading » 01 Aug 2018, 02:26

I enjoyed reading your review. The book's storyline is quite compelling but since I actually do have a "strong aversion to far-right rhetoric," I will have to pass. I can also never bring myself to read books of a series in a "twisted" order. The first book always gets read first. It's probably a mild form of OCD. :lol2:

Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 » 01 Aug 2018, 06:34

The plot sounds amazing from wat I've read here. I think this is worthy of my time, I anticipate lots of actions too!

AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: In Euphoria by Donna D. Vitucci
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX » 26 Aug 2018, 03:12

Sounds like an interesting crime story. Though personally I avoid reading books out of order, even serialized ones where it doesn't matter as much. You wrote a nice review. Made the book seem really appealing.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”