Official Review: A Life of Crime by Darlien C. Breeze

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: A Life of Crime by Darlien C. Breeze

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Life of Crime" by Darlien C. Breeze.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Darlien C. Breeze has written A Life of Crime in a realistic way. Two reporters, Steve Simon and George Smitts want to write a book on past crimes. They interview retired Josh Cummings, who had been in law enforcement for fifty years. They visit the elderly Josh and listen to his life stories of crime cases that happened in places like San Diego, Las Vegas, and in Reno. It felt like the reader was invited to sit on the porch along with the two reporters and listen to Josh as he smoked his cigars and reminisced.

Many of the stories are interesting and entertaining with some twists and surprises. There are more than twenty cases that Josh describes. Each story is told as if it is happening in the present. The reader is led wanting to figure out some of the crimes with unpredictable endings. It is as if Josh remembers his favorite cases to share, cases that bring a smile to one’s face or baffle one’s mind.

I enjoyed the variety of the different cases told and the names of them. For example, some of the criminal cases were named: “Worth the Wait”, “Presto Change-O”, and “The Dream Judge”. This was a good way to divide the chapters and tell about the crimes. I liked the story of “Caitlin” the best. It was a longer recollection and had some great story elements of greed, murder, and surprise.

Though there wasn’t much to not like about the book, I did not like the bold print used throughout the book. Some of the stories were not clear in following the author’s details and mind twisters. The chapter called “The Perfect Crime” left me pondering what really happened, but maybe that was the author’s intention. I least liked “Diplomatic Immunity” because of the kidnapper’s personality and actions. I greatly disliked his character! This story seemed a bit darker than the others.

I rate A Life of Crime 4 out of 4 stars. The book has very few errors and is written in a conversational way. It made me think I was listening to a good storyteller. The title of the book describes not only the life of crime experienced by Josh as a law enforcer, but it also has a double meaning. One will need to read the book to find out what that double meaning is.

Adults who enjoy reading short and varied murder mysteries and detective stories will most surely like delving into these seemingly real-life cases. People who have an aversion to reading about criminal cases or prefer other types of books may like this book the least.

A Life of Crime
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

A book with a double meaning? I have to say you piqued my interest. Up to that point I wasn't sure about reading the book. I may look into this one. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a book I would enjoy especially after reading your excellent review. Thanks for the recommendation!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Wow, you've put a big question mark right there, what could the double meaning be? I guess I have got to find out myself then.

Thank you so much for this beautiful information!!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I'm glad to see this is worthy of 4 stars. I considered reviewing it but was kind of torn about whether or not I thought I would like it. I do love criminal cases so I think I would enjoy this after all :)
Sunnyroyish
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Sunnyroyish »

I like crime and mystery novels. Recently I reviewed a crime novel called Gringo. It's actually an autobiography. Anyways, you wrote a nice review.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

Thanks for an excellent review! I know they say not to judge a book by its cover but I am notorious for ignoring this. To me, this cover looks better suited for a Hallmark movie than stories of crimes. I know that this doesn't affect the book at all but I can't help but notice these things!
LV2R

Post by LV2R »

Abigail R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 22:40 Thanks for an excellent review! I know they say not to judge a book by its cover but I am notorious for ignoring this. To me, this cover looks better suited for a Hallmark movie than stories of crimes. I know that this doesn't affect the book at all but I can't help but notice these things!
Thank you for your comment. After reading the book, you will know why the cover is a picture of the snowy mountains.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

LV2R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 23:58
Abigail R wrote: 09 Aug 2018, 22:40 Thanks for an excellent review! I know they say not to judge a book by its cover but I am notorious for ignoring this. To me, this cover looks better suited for a Hallmark movie than stories of crimes. I know that this doesn't affect the book at all but I can't help but notice these things!
Thank you for your comment. After reading the book, you will know why the cover is a picture of the snowy mountains.
Well, I'll have to read it then to find out! And then I will get a lesson in not judging the cover :lol:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

It looks like this book is about research on crime and the protagonists tries to get solid evidences by interviewing a retired law enforcement directorate.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
LV2R

Post by LV2R »

sanjus wrote: 21 Aug 2018, 02:17 It looks like this book is about research on crime and the protagonists tries to get solid evidences by interviewing a retired law enforcement directorate.
Actually, I think it was just the author's creative way to tell a bunch of short stories about different and interesting criminal cases through a retired detective.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”