Official Review: Finding Sarah by Paul Walker

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Finding Sarah by Paul Walker

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Sarah" by Paul Walker.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding Sarah is a fiction novel, authored by Paul Walker, about the mysterious disappearance of a woman named Sarah Mason. The novel contains different, and sometimes overlapping, timelines involving diverse characters. The chief characters are Ola, Sarah’s daughter; Jack Mason, Sarah’s husband; and Matt, Sarah’s grandson.

The story centers on Sarah, a mother of two who had disappeared about thirty-five years ago and was never found, and her grandson, Matt. There is equally a good deal of focus on Jack, who encounters financial difficulties in business and deteriorating health that incidentally coincide with Sarah’s disappearance. Jack is old, diseased, and presumably close to death, so Matt’s curiosity steers him to investigate Sarah’s mysterious disappearance before Jack dies. The story chronicles the perspectives of Ola, Jack, and Matt at various points spanning three decades, each timeline offering a compelling clue to the solution of the mystery.

The book is well-constructed, and the timelines are properly ordered. The storyline, which is arguably my favorite aspect of the book, is indeed strong, relatable, and harmonious. It contains a good deal of suspense that compels the reader to complete the tale. The book also employs a laudable level of imagery and descriptive input, which keeps the mind of the reader creatively engaged as the plot unfolds. Furthermore, virtually all the characters are quite active and satisfactorily depicted, so there is no hint of redundancy with them in the story.

Certain aspects of the narration involve too much detail about rather mundane things, however, providing the possibility of making some characters lost in a sea of information. A stronger emphasis on the storyline in those aspects would have been reasonably better. In addition, while the editing is quite commendable, there are certain errors in spelling and punctuation. Perhaps my most profound disappointment is that the story seems to promise to end on a dramatic, emotional note, but there is simply not enough of that—it concludes far too steeply. I would have preferred a lengthier story (with more insight into the events shortly beyond the end).

All things considered, Finding Sarah is a thriller in its own right. I give it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. It does not obtain a 4-star rating because of the errors I perceived as well as the fashion it ends in. Nevertheless, it will undoubtedly be a good, and somewhat enjoyable read, for anyone who enjoys thrilling and suspenseful novels.

Finding Sarah
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Bonnie Shelby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bonnie-shelby.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Bonnie Shelby »

Certain aspects of the narration involve too much detail about rather mundane things, however, providing the possibility of making some characters lost in a sea of information.
I always get bored when too much information on inconsequential things are revealed, and I hate it when books don't end properly. I think I'll be avoiding this one, but thanks for the great review :)
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love suspenseful crime thrillers, and I was ready to add this to my bookshelves until I read your description of the ending. When I've spent time reading a book, I always feel slightly cheated by an unresolved ending!
Sarah Starling
Favorite Author: Alix E. Harrow
Favorite Book: Starling House
Currently Reading: Love and Other Words
Bookshelf Size: 10084
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-starling.html
Latest Review: Cell Biology For Babies by Dr. Haitham Ahmed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 176795

Post by Sarah Starling »

It sounds like an interesting read. I'm not a detail person though, I much prefer to imagine all the little stuff on my own otherwise it bogs down the story too much. I really wanted to read it until I got to that part, I know I could get through it and probably enjoy it but it takes more willpower than I have to get through a descriptive book.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds very intriguing. It does seem sometimes that writer's get rather caught up in giving you every specific detail about the littlest things. Despite that, it sounds like you enjoyed the book. Thanks so much for your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I enjoy a good thriller, but I'm a little turned off by the over description. This would not be at the very top of my TBR list, but maybe someday. Thanks for the review!
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the review, it's always a pity when the author goes off-track. It's also somewhat off-putting in what would otherwise be a great read.
czar_milli
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by czar_milli »

Well, I think it'll be great, but its just not for me, great review though
Peter-+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by Peter-+ »

i got interested in the book and was fascinated by the author but the review got me frozen after scaling through to the end of the review and i just thought it wouldn't be as interesting as i thought it would..
tanya_bagga1
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by tanya_bagga1 »

This could be a great book to read as it involves suspense and thriller so this would be interesting to read.. Cheers to the author!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”