Official Review: Pharafaneelya by Jaws

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: Pharafaneelya by Jaws

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Pharafaneelya" by Jaws.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I must begin by saying that the second half of this story is as abstract as a Jackson Pollock painting, and that starkly juxtaposes with the straightforwardness of the first half of the book. Reading Pharafaneelya by Jaws is like reading two almost completely separate stories, but the author manages to just barely weave them together seamlessly. It is actually quite brilliant and completely new.

In the first half of the book, readers are introduced to Maia Opular, a young girl who lives with her mother in a house on a hill. Her father was killed in a war, and her brother has been missing for an undeclared amount of time. Maia is obsessed with the color purple — purple gum, purple toilet paper, purple grass — if it is purple, Maia loves it. She is currently hoping that a predicted storm will bring purple snow with it. Ms. Bentz, Maia’s nosy, old neighbor, shows up at the Opulars’ doorstep late at night claiming that her house has lost power and asking permission to stay for a bit. Maia’s mother, Mrs. Opular, graciously welcomes their unexpected guest even though she does not particularly favor the older woman. From Ms. Bentz, Maia receives a mysterious gift. The next morning we are introduced to two more characters - Maia’s best friend and rival, Sophia, and Sophia’s brother, Ant. Readers are given a glimpse into Maia’s relationship with the aforementioned individuals. However, Maia is horribly wounded when a snow-covered rock hits her head. Cue the second half of the book.

Here we enter the Pharafaneeyla Asylum and leave Maia and her friends behind. We are introduced to Gretchen who has recently arrived at the asylum due to her “heinous acts on humanity.” The asylum is described as being a kind of hell in which residents lose the little bit of their souls that remain. This is the home of the mentally unfixable insane, and Madam Dean and Doctor Lyma overlook it while nurses and watchmen (soulless and seemingly robotic life forms) are responsible for caring for and transporting the patients throughout the building. Little do the nurses know that they are actually permanent residents of Pharafaneeyla. The patients in the asylum go through a process in which they are forced to confront their sins and see the truth of their situations before essentially being drained of their humanity. So how do Maia and the group of individuals in her life tie in with the horrid asylum? You can only discover this by reading the book yourself.

Now, the story itself is startling in its genius. What unfolds is completely unexpected and unlike anything that I have read before. It contains characters with complex histories and mysterious lives, and I wanted to know more about them. There is a lot of dialogue without making the story boring, and everything about this book is fresh. The beginning of the story brought forth two major questions — what happened to Maia’s brother, and why on earth is she so obsessed with the color purple? The second half of the story answers those questions in a way that will leave your head spinning and your jaw on the floor.

This is the part of the review that saddens my soul to have to do, but readers deserve the truth. This book is packed with typos and errors in punctuation. In no way did it appear to have been professionally edited, which is a shame because the story is superb. Some of the paragraphs are rather choppy with sentences that do not flow as easily as I prefer and lines that should be phrased differently. Here is an example of one of the errors: “Before your journey begins take a quick look out you window…” Clearly the word you was meant to be your. Given the frequent errors, I can only rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

There are going to be lovers of supernatural books and mystery as well as fans of abstract writing that flock to this story. However, this book may be too abstract for many, especially the second half of the book that takes place in the asylum. There is a lot going on as far as the process of removing the soul and what happens to the individual after this is achieved as well as explanations of how individuals ended up there in the first place, and this does involve careful reading that might not be entirely pleasurable for some. Pharafaneelya is not appropriate for children as there are a lot of descriptions of violence and gore that are stomach turning even for me. I do recommend trying to look past the technical errors and giving the book a chance because it is one of a kind.

Pharafaneelya
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thank you for this great review. I must admit, the story sounds stunning and you got me quite excited about it. It is such a pity that the book was not professionally edited.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds super interesting! I pulled my nose up a bit when you mentioned two totally separate parts of the book, now I am completely intrigued. This is a brilliant review - you've made me want to climb into this one straight away. Thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think I´ll give this one a chance. Even with all the typos and mistakes, the story sounds outstanding and, apparently, the style is quite unique too.
Hopefully, the author will get it edited, but I´m adding it to my to-read shelf today!
Thanks for a very interesting and thorough review!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Corhan2 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 04:41 Thank you for this great review. I must admit, the story sounds stunning and you got me quite excited about it. It is such a pity that the book was not professionally edited.
Thank you. I agree it was a shame about the editing.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This book was on the list for quite a while and every time I saw it, I contemplated it, but was just never convinced enough to read it. Now I am! It's a pity about all the errors, but sadly, I'm so used to that now, here at OBC! I can't remember the last time I gave 4 stars and most of the 3s have been due to grammatical errors! I'm also a big fan of the unusual and abstract, so I think I'll go ahead and muddle through the writing mess to get to the great story... Thanks so much for the phenomenal review.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Lunastella wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 07:14 I think I´ll give this one a chance. Even with all the typos and mistakes, the story sounds outstanding and, apparently, the style is quite unique too.
Hopefully, the author will get it edited, but I´m adding it to my to-read shelf today!
Thanks for a very interesting and thorough review!
I hope you enjoy it!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Bianka Walter wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 04:50 This sounds super interesting! I pulled my nose up a bit when you mentioned two totally separate parts of the book, now I am completely intrigued. This is a brilliant review - you've made me want to climb into this one straight away. Thanks so much!
It was so unique!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

MsTri wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 09:41 This book was on the list for quite a while and every time I saw it, I contemplated it, but was just never convinced enough to read it. Now I am! It's a pity about all the errors, but sadly, I'm so used to that now, here at OBC! I can't remember the last time I gave 4 stars and most of the 3s have been due to grammatical errors! I'm also a big fan of the unusual and abstract, so I think I'll go ahead and muddle through the writing mess to get to the great story... Thanks so much for the phenomenal review.
I debated about reading this one as well, but I'm glad I did. It was certainly not what I expected .
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Good review for an interesting book. You got me with question like of all colours why Maia is obsessed with purple colour? My curiosity made me wanting to check out this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
misatifelix
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misatifelix.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by misatifelix »

I won't mind the grammatical errors.This book has a great plot that is enough for me to warrant it a read.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am really intrigued by these mysterious characters in this story. I will try to read this in the future. I am sorry about the flaws though. Thank you for your superb review.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:06 Good review for an interesting book. You got me with question like of all colours why Maia is obsessed with purple colour? My curiosity made me wanting to check out this book.
Right?! It had some interesting questions.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 15:50 I am really intrigued by these mysterious characters in this story. I will try to read this in the future. I am sorry about the flaws though. Thank you for your superb review.
Thank you!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

misatifelix wrote: 18 Jul 2018, 11:15 I won't mind the grammatical errors.This book has a great plot that is enough for me to warrant it a read.
I hope you enjoy it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”