Official Review: A Girl Like You by Michelle Cox

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Re: Official Review: A Girl Like You by Michelle Cox

Post by Fu Zaila »

Great review! I agree, trying to villianize lesbians even if the book is set in a time period where they were not socially accepted, is not a good move. Especially in this period, when every other author is trying to include more and more homosexuality representation in their books.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
funder
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by funder »

The will be very interesting since it cover romance, investigation, poverty and struggle.
AngeliqueAdriano
Currently Reading:
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngeliqueAdriano »

I loved the review! I hope to get a chance to read the full story. I have always enjoyed mystery-filled novels.
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

This sounds like an interesting book. Also I love the time period and the setting. I'm definitely going to enjoy it. Thanks for the review and recommendation.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Lunastella wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 05:05
katiesquilts wrote: 15 Jul 2018, 03:15
A Girl Like You is the perfect mix between Historical fiction, Romance, and murder mysteries.
I really think this is the book I´ve been looking for!
I´m not a fan of stereotypical characters but the great pace and the very interesting plot and genre mix really make me want to take the day off just to read this from start to finish.
I do, however, dislike the portrayal of gays that you mention. I think I´d have to see for myself if it´s a timing thing (as you said, it was not accepted in that time period) or if it´s really uncalled for.
Thanks for a very interesting and honest review!
Awesome! If you decide to give it a try, I'd love to know what you think afterwards! :D
It's always fun to compare books with others and see how they would rate them.
Apurva Mane

Post by Apurva Mane »

:D I have read this book and I am finding it interesting. I really want to read other stories like this. This gives us messages about how the girl is . Her nature of helping her mother and caring about young siblings
Scheherazade_24

Post by Scheherazade_24 »

I think this book may catch the readers imaginative thinking. this book have a mix of romance and mystery
Isaacumeh

Post by Isaacumeh »

A girl like you by michelle fox: It is an interesting book filled with mysteries. I really enjoyed it..thank you
Balkis mohammed02
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Balkis mohammed02 »

Yes this novel will be very Intrested and it can teach many people or student some morals and how to go about life when being in some challenges. I love to have d book
violetcookie
Currently Reading: Our pastor has gone mad again
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by violetcookie »

Historical frictions,romance and murder mysteries all in one? :D Thats my cup of tea all the way up :lol:
KarinaBordas
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karinabordas.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by KarinaBordas »

Mystery, struggle, and the power of money seem to be the continual thread in A Girl Like You. Hopefully Michelle Cox will give us a raw, different perspective of the 1930s era. I’m intrigued!
Agumagu
Currently Reading: Understanding Unlimited Power of Faith
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Agumagu »

A girl like you i suppose to be a lady that is different in character mindset. I must say that this is the best book ever
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

The fact that the girl was responsible enough to look after her mother and siblings just attracted me to read this book. All she needed was money to provide for her family, little did she know what she would get herself into. Despite the errors, I'm definitely adding this book on my to-read list. Thanks for the great review.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Post by katiesquilts »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 29 Jul 2018, 07:16 The fact that the girl was responsible enough to look after her mother and siblings just attracted me to read this book. All she needed was money to provide for her family, little did she know what she would get herself into. Despite the errors, I'm definitely adding this book on my to-read list. Thanks for the great review.
I definitely agree with you! I love strong women who have to sacrifice something (such as time and effort) to protect those close to them. Sometimes it's hard when those same people, for example Henrietta's mother, take that for granted, though...
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

I appreciate books that include more than one genre! Great to see females in lead roles, especially set in the 30s! Thanks for the review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”