Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Don Gift
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Post by Don Gift »

The preview of the book is amazing.where can I get the full book online
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Don Gift wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 16:08 The preview of the book is amazing.where can I get the full book online
https://www.amazon.com/Candle-Room-Dani ... B01A9CDXMA
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

As previously mentioned, though, the plot and resulting climax were not suspenseful. Reading through my notes, I found written on page eight: “XX did it as revenge for XX.” Now, you realize I’ve omitted the spoilers, but suffice it to say—I understood whodunit in chapter one. Not only was the murderer expected, but I felt that they lacked character development. I would have appreciated more little clues throughout that culminated in an ah-ha moment in the end. The killer is revealed in more of a data dump than a stunning revelation.
Your review style fits with the courtroom scenes of the book. I am a bit disappointed that the author would expose the guilty one in the first chapter! In all, it may be a good book just to read for entertainment.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Your review is great! I like the court drama and as your secondary witness I would say: I solemnly swear that I'm telling the truth! Great review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love how you played with review. Sadly, it sounds like the only good parts where the courtroom scenes. I don't think I will enjoy reading this book as it is too easy to figure out who the killer is. However, I did enjoy reading the review.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I like the way you presented the book. A whodunit revolving around a bizarre murder case sounds good. Too bad it failed to deliver. At least the courtroom scenes were dramatic. I prefer more tension in my books, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite the lack of suspense. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I have a tendency to figure out the mystery, anyway (which is why I don't often read mystery), so having it be that easy would drive me insane.

Thank you for this very entertaining review!
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! One of the most important elements in a mystery novel is the reveal of the perpetrator. I'm disappointed to hear that the identity of the murderer could have been guessed from the beginning of the book and was revealed in a lackluster way. I do think that the clientele Zach serves sound eccentric and funny.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

The introduction of your review turned me into your fan!
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

I love the format of your review! Great work! As for lack of suspense in today's BOTD, your comment about page 8 says it all. Wow! That's way too soon! With character development also lacking (and just being plain odd and out of character), I'm not sure this is the book for me, right now anyway. I've added it to my want to read list, but I'm not sure I'll be jumping to download it too soon. I appreciate you helpful review. Thank you!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

LV2R wrote: 23 Jul 2018, 19:57
As previously mentioned, though, the plot and resulting climax were not suspenseful. Reading through my notes, I found written on page eight: “XX did it as revenge for XX.” Now, you realize I’ve omitted the spoilers, but suffice it to say—I understood whodunit in chapter one. Not only was the murderer expected, but I felt that they lacked character development. I would have appreciated more little clues throughout that culminated in an ah-ha moment in the end. The killer is revealed in more of a data dump than a stunning revelation.
Your review style fits with the courtroom scenes of the book. I am a bit disappointed that the author would expose the guilty one in the first chapter! In all, it may be a good book just to read for entertainment.
I wonder if the author took that sentence out because, on July 30th, I do not see that anywhere! So, I don't know who murdered Ollie. The author may have read your review and edited that part out.
Emgee_n
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Emgee_n »

I really would love to know what XX did as a revenge for XX, so I definitely will read this book. I love spoilers in movies but when it comes to books, I HATE spoilers . Nice review by the way.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Awesome review!
Unfortunately, I´ve read too many thrillers and courtroom stories so I´d probably be able to predict the storyline too.
Maybe I´ll give it a chance because of the interesting characters and dialogues.
Thanks!
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

It has a very catchy cover. I like it because it's a thrilling story and it emphasizes action, sudden events, and how the main character is going to make it through to the next chapter or scene. However, I'm a fan more of suspense stories... I love to build psychological tension before the action occurs. I think the story would be more fascinating to read if these elements are both present in a book.

________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Plots may be simple or complex, but suspense and climactic progress from one incident to another are essential."
-H.P. Lovecraft
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

The concept of retelling a victim's life and Zach starting his own law firm sounds interesting, but it's too bad that you knew who committed the crime and why right from the first chapter. Also, it's too bad that the character development was lacking. However, it's great to know that the conversations and day-to-day interactions were done well. I'm also glad that you found the book to be entertaining regardless of its lack of suspense. By the way, I love the way you opened and closed your review - like a courtroom case. It was very creative!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”