Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Re: Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Post by Miercoles »

I quite enjoyed your review. It is unfortunate that the story lacks suspense, but it seems to be a good court room drama nevertheless. It should make an interesting read.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1902
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile', is a critical one! It benefits the author as well as readers! It helps the author, to develop an outlook and guides the readers, in reading the story!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a wonderful review. Thanks a lot for it. It is sad to note that there is no suspense in the whole book and that the murderer is revealed in a way that s not interesting too. I may not be reading this given how the review puts the book. Well done for the character development part.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for your review. It’s a shame that there isn’t more suspense but I’m glad you enjoyed the characters and the day to day workings of the newly minted law firm and the trial details
peace starts with a smile...
Evvynn
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Evvynn »

The introduction of this review was excellently captured and some of the intriguing excepts from the book makes me want to read the book :techie-studyingbrown:
MiziS_1305
Favorite Book: The Lost Symbol
Currently Reading: Toni the Superhero
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mizis-1305.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by MiziS_1305 »

As crime thrillers pertain to my taste, I will give it a go. Though this is one of the reasons, but not the only one. I also want to know who is Ollie's killer and why the book has been titled 'Candle Room'.
Bestman Obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Bestman Obi »

I must confess, I have never come across such an interesting story before, I also give you a credit for your review, it was well written.
I'd really love to give this one a go! I don't mind knowing the killer early one, as I've read many tomes where it was purposefully put in in the beginning, but I still enjoyed reading about the authorities figuring it out. For this book in particular, I also love the idea of meeting Zach's assorted and interesting clients and hearing Zach's thoughts while in court.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an incredible crime thriller that can be found for free on Kindle Unlimited. The onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully and highlighted the best the book had to offer. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats on being the BOTD.
florence faith
Currently Reading: Wilder
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by florence faith »

I'm currently searching for a new book to read hahaha so I'll give this a try. I'm not really sure yet if this book is fit for me. But Anyway, thanks for your review!
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

This is a great review from an astute reader. I got hooked into the story after reading the sample of the book provided in Amazon and I bought the book just to see it through. Thanks for the warning but I'm gonna finish it anyway because I already have a suspect and I would like to know if I'm right. I love crime mysteries and suspense. Daniel Gentile has a deft, professional hand writing a legal thriller, avoiding to provide too long and meandering back stories so that readers are always focused on the heart of the matter. Zach is a realistic protagonist. The story of the murder victim, Ollie, is pure tragedy. He's not likable but you know circumstances in his life forced him to be this person, who makes a lot of money like an excellent video gamer but is utterly alone and isolated from human connections. And then there his abandoned brother, Andrew. I want to see the conclusion of this murder mystery, still hoping to enjoy the big reveal and not the data dump that you caution us about.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

What a clever review! I'm kind of disappointed to hear there's no suspense. I really liked the sound of this from the synopsis, but I'm one of those readers you mentioned who likes a real headscratcher. Good to hear there are some genuinely interesting parts though. Thanks for this entertaining review.
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Apart from the no suspense I guess I will give it a try. I enjoy court drama and will enjoy this one thanks for the nice review.
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Courtroom drama are always a treat to read. And especially if the aim is to nail who committed a murder. Will the evidence suffice to put the culprit behind bars? It's a good thing that the story line is great and the dialog entertaining; however the fact that the suspense falls flat, is a bit of a letdown. Thanks for this review!
kate_nguyen
Currently Reading: Alexis Zorba
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kate-nguyen.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by kate_nguyen »

I am not a fan of courtroom drama, nevertheless congratulation " The Candle Room" for being BOTD! I think the shortcomings is not a mood killer, sometime knowing the killer early is still interesting.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I love legal books and courtroom drama. This would have been a great fit but the lack of suspense slows down my enthusiasm some. Still, I might give it a chance, depending on how the sample turns out. Thanks for this dramatic review!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”