Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: Official Review: The Candle Room by Daniel K. Gentile

Post by CinWin »

Thank you for the review. I read the sample but your review really tied it all together. Also your into was awesome! Again, thanks.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

Just from the sampling, I found that this was a very well written, well executed legal novel. The development of the mystery aspect needs a little work though. Well done.
ReaderTeacher
Currently Reading: Dead Fix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerteacher.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by ReaderTeacher »

The key to an excellent suspense/crime story is the art of dropping hints and red herrings. As an avid viewer of shows such as NCIS and Criminal Minds, I pride myself on being able to pick up on these and piece together “the truth” of the mystery. The review suggests that the one who committed the crime is clearly revealed in the first chapter. This makes this an unlikely read for me as I think it is important to be surprised and kept predicting until the end!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Festus wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 16:55 On the other hand, Hartje’s audiences are kept in unwelcome form of suspense. Why would Ollie be murdered? What becomes of Zack’s ambition? These mind-boggling curiosities and legitimate questions are supposed to be captured even within the context of review brevity. Furthermore, what is Candle Room? What does Candle Room symbolically or literally represent in the work. So many questions begging for answers. Great review all the same.
I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on this one. As not only a reviewer, but also an editor for OBC, I strive to strictly adhere to the OBC review guidelines. No spoilers means no spoilers of any kind. And since a review is meant to be the reviewer’s commentary and opinions of the book, I keep my distance from producing reviews that are little more than regurgitated text. A review is not, and should never be, a book summary.

I suppose our differing styles are what makes the world go round. Thank you for your thoughtful commentary!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
iampallabisarkar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by iampallabisarkar »

Thank you for this review. Your review sounds good. I would like to add this book to my bookshelf.
Stanley Ann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stanley-ann.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Stanley Ann »

I like how you start your review by use of courtroom drama. This is a clear indication that this review is honest. Good work dear.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Very interesting review. I like the character of Zach, the way he has the determination and always looks on the bright side of life even when faced with macabre events.
Ismail asad
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ismail asad »

You have superb reviews .I appreciate you on this work .I like suspense
Jennifer Fernandez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-fernandez.html
Latest Review: The Enemy In Me by Jacob Newell Campbell

Post by Jennifer Fernandez »

That's too bad about the missing suspense.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H.P. Lovecraft :techie-studyinggray:
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I very much enjoyed your entertaining review. It is not always easy to come up with a fresh way to present your review, but you have done so here. Well done. This book sounds engaging. I actually don't mind knowing "who done it" at the beginning. I very seldom actively try and figure it out, and the weird and quirky characters combined with the running inner commentary are some things that I enjoy in a cozy mystery. I would have issues with grammatical and editorial errors, however, so hopefully, they are not numerous, or the writer has taken care of the issue.
Jhammshop
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jhammshop »

Dramatic and entertaining. Thumbs up from me! ☺
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

Your review is entertaining. The demise of a self-made millionaire. Will Justice prevail? Whodunnit??? Interesting characters. Thanks for the review.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

It is indeed interesting read about clients ranging from those wanting to sue over barking dogs to those requesting will preparation where literally everything was left to the dogs. However, I wish there was more suspense in the book.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
kemp1kor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemp1kor.html
Latest Review: Temptation Trials Revolution by B. Truly
Reading Device: B00GNKRFEA

Post by kemp1kor »

A book described as a criminal law thriller that lacks suspense...this doesn't seem like my kind of story, but thanks for the entertaining review!
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I like books with good character drama so I’d probably enjoy this one. I’ll add it to my list.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”