Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: Abate the Nuisance by Bill Sage

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Abate the Nuisance" by Bill Sage.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Abate the Nuisance is a crime thriller written by Bill Sage. In 1950s Detroit, Michigan, outlaws in The Purple Gang meet at "The Veterans Club" to drink whiskey, play cards and bet on sporting events. Member Ziggy denies his nephew Al Roth (12) and Al's friend Jake Gertner access until Purple Gang hitman Lev Keller convinces him to let them in. Jake soon enjoys accompanying gang members to beatings they administer to people who are late in making loan repayments. Al hates violence and instead spends his time learning from backroom bookies the Weisberg brothers. In high school, the boys create the 12th Street Gang and spend much time in street fights with other gangs.

Later, Al studies law and goes to work for the District Attorney's office, eventually becoming a judge. Jake becomes a contract killer. On Al's wedding day, he learns that Arnold Goldman, an unethical attorney, has found out potentially damaging information on Al and Jake. Goldman knows they once committed a tobacco store robbery where they shot two men, and that they interfered in a murder trial presided over by Al. Jake wants to kill Goldman, but Al decides to get close to him to find out how much he knows.

The character personalities in this book are well separated. Though they are best friends, Al does not share Jake's violent streak and wonders how Jake deals with the things he does. Then there is the arrogant, self-involved Goldman, who possesses none of Al and Jake's loyalty to others. A great sense of camaraderie runs between the Purple Gang members and Al and Jake as boys; they seem like a big family. An interesting conflict develops between Al and Jake when Jake's violent tendencies take a certain situation too far. With Al's hatred for unnecessary violence, this puts a strain on their friendship. Al also struggles with his own dual persona, walking a tightrope between interpreting the law as a judge and his criminal connections with Jake and the 12th Street Gang.

The story jumps back and forth between time periods seamlessly. The chapter headers tell you where and when you are, but context alone is usually enough to orient you to the time period. Sage feeds a decent amount of Al's past into the story as needed. He also demonstrates a sound knowledge of legal proceedings in the courtroom scenes. All of the plot threads tie together nicely at the end. The writing is neat and punchy, with simple sentences that get straight to the point. The dialogue is sharp and witty, which breaks up the more serious conversations nicely. With plenty of dialogue and sharp prose, this book is easy to read, and I finished it quickly. The only negatives for me were twenty to thirty minor errors in the text, which were mostly single missing words.

I really wanted to give this book 4 stars. It is a highly entertaining crime thriller, well-written and well-paced. I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. I would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the crime genre, but definitely not to those put off by strong scenes of violence and murder. Unfortunately, due to the minor errors in the text, I must rate it 3 out of 4 stars. With one more edit, it would be a definite 4 stars.

Abate the Nuisance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This sounds great. I love the two opposites that are friends, it makes it so interesting to learn about their dynamic.
Great review, thanks :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Being able to convey a strong friendship between two such polar opposites and also seamlessly jump between time periods is a credit to the author. Thanks for the great review!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

When you are haunted by your past, the best way is to make amends. Thank you for a superb review.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I would like to read the entire book, the review gives a good insight into the different Characters and how they come to do decent jobs,
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

Two things attracted me this book. I love it when an author can jump between time periods seamlessly. I'm learning how to do that in my own writing. Also, the good vs evil conflict between the two friends usually makes for an enjoyable read. Thanks for your review. Can wait to read it.
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

Sounds like my kind of read! I'll definitely be adding it to my reading list. Thank you for the great review😊
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 07:16 This sounds great. I love the two opposites that are friends, it makes it so interesting to learn about their dynamic.
Great review, thanks :)
Definitely an interesting dynamic between Al and Jake in this book. Best friends but very different character traits. Very entertaining writing.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Cecilia_L wrote: 10 Jul 2018, 20:06 Being able to convey a strong friendship between two such polar opposites and also seamlessly jump between time periods is a credit to the author. Thanks for the great review!
Yeah, a highly entertaining book! Enjoyed it a lot and got through it quickly.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 11 Jul 2018, 23:15 When you are haunted by your past, the best way is to make amends. Thank you for a superb review.
There is certainly plenty in the pasts of these two characters to be haunted by! Thanks for your comments.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 03:31 I would like to read the entire book, the review gives a good insight into the different Characters and how they come to do decent jobs,
Highly recommend this book if you like crime thrillers. Very entertaining.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Roc Madness wrote: 12 Jul 2018, 07:12 Two things attracted me this book. I love it when an author can jump between time periods seamlessly. I'm learning how to do that in my own writing. Also, the good vs evil conflict between the two friends usually makes for an enjoyable read. Thanks for your review. Can wait to read it.
Agreed. Jumping between time periods can be challenging to do well. And the conflict at times between Al and Jake definitely kept things interesting.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Morgan Jones wrote: 13 Jul 2018, 00:50 Sounds like my kind of read! I'll definitely be adding it to my reading list. Thank you for the great review😊
If you like crime thrillers you won't be disappointed with this one! Thoroughly enjoyable.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I love crime thrillers but tend to steer clear of ones involving gangs because they do tend to be a bit too violent for my taste. I am quite intrigued by this one though. I like the inclusion of court trials and Al's struggle to figure out which side of that tightrope he is going to land on. Great review. You make this book seem incredibly interesting.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Thank you for the wonderful review! I can't wait to read this. I'm hoping that there are great court scenes as I always enjoy reading this kind of books.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”