Review by Carly-maricque -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Carly-maricque
2018 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Review by Carly-maricque -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Carly-maricque » 07 Jul 2018, 09:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final notice by Van Fleisher is a story about elders, technology, guns, racial and religious prejudice and politics. A new smartwatch by VitalTech is released for testing that has the capabilities of giving the user a final notice. The final notice lets the user know when they have 10, 20 or 30 days left to live. There are 100 elders testing the new smartwatch and the story follows some of them. The new smartwatches seem great except for when some of the users get the final notice they kill. It is believed that they kill because they know they are going to die anyways and there won’t be any consequences after.

Along with the new technology, the National Rifle Association is issuing senior discounts on gun purchases. They are trying to get the elderly to buy guns for protection. The elderly main characters, Vince and Trudi, are debating on owning a gun and throughout the story their minds change multiple times. Along with the politics of guns there is also politics of race in the story.

My favorite feature of Final Notice is that although it is a work of fiction it is very realistic. The reader can connect the issues brought up in the book to current issues in America. This makes the book very thought provoking and allows you to reflect on society. In our near future, a smartwatch could be able to tell us our final notice. What would you do if you got your final notice? Some elders in the story got revenge and get away with it because they know they only have so many days left to live.

The author also does a great job telling the story from multiple character perspectives who live all over America. These characters are the main elderly couple, elders with the smartwatches, a FBI agent, medical and technology teams, an immigrant family, and senators. Although there are a lot of different characters the author makes it easy to follow the story by separating the text when a different character starts. The characters are enjoyable and the author does a great job showing their emotion and evoking sympathy.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars for being so thought provoking and engaging. There was nothing I did not like about this story. I would highly recommend it to anyone that enjoys a book that makes them think about real issues in our society. This was a fast read that I couldn’t put down!

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Carly-maricque's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”