Official Review: Hidden Depths by Ilene Birkwood

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: Hidden Depths by Ilene Birkwood

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Hidden Depths" by Ilene Birkwood.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever experienced that moment when you open a book, read the prologue and then feel your body relax because you can tell that you have found something rare? You know that you are about to spend hours enjoying it. This is how I felt after reading the first few pages of Hidden Depths by Ilene Birkwood. We are introduced to a woman who has evidently just dumped a body at sea, and this occurrence is described as “the familiar routine.” From the get-go, readers will want to know more about this mysterious woman. Did she murder someone? How many times has she done this, and if it is a regular routine, who is next? Is this even a real event or the imaginings of a man who has too much time on his hands?

Kelly has just returned to her cliff top New Zealand home from a work trip and steps into an unusually silent space. She expects to be reunited with her husband, Steve, but he is nowhere to be found. Initially, she thinks that he is somewhere outside working or maybe even fishing with friends or gone to get groceries, but as the hours tick by and then the days, she knows something is wrong. Her friends and neighbors are convinced that her husband has left Kelly for another woman, and the police are even considering Kelly as the cause of her husband’s disappearance. With determination and the suspicion that something more sinister has happened, Kelly follows any thread she can find and begins the quest to search for her missing husband.

Not only is the story complex and exhilarating with a slew of shocking revelations, but also the visuals that Ilene Birkwood creates with words are gorgeous and realistic. I could see the stormy New Zealand seas, the tea trees that the author describes and the cliff top homes. I could hear the ocean waves and taste the salty air. This is the kind of story I hope for when I open a book. Readers are introduced to several characters, but the protagonist is Kelly, and she is the only one we really get to know. I was okay with that because this is Kelly’s story — adjusting to the quiet New Zealand life after leaving the California rat race, searching for her husband and following any fragments of clues she can find, depending on friends for support and taking the initiative to solve puzzles herself rather than relying solely on the police.

A surprising element of this novel is the attention that it gives emotional and physical abuse and how various individuals react and adjust to it. I appreciate that the author gives readers more than just a mystery but a lesson as well. There are not many negatives to mention in this story other than that some of the paragraphs seem irrelevant to the narrative and consequently drudge on. For example, there is an instance when Kelly and her neighbor, Richard, go fishing. This fishing trip veers off track and takes up multiple pages without including anything related to the story. Admittedly, Kelly does return home from the fishing trip to find that she has missed an important call, but I do think too much time is given to the excursion. There are sections similar to this elsewhere in the novel. Having said this, the story is still superb and well crafted. Technical errors were rare — maybe a misplaced comma or two — and I did not notice any problems with spelling. The book appears to have been professionally edited, and I confidently rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Readers will not be disappointed. I almost passed on this book because there is nothing interesting in the title and the cover, in my opinion, but the description is what made me hopeful that I would find something special once I began to read. There is some violence but nothing too gory or explicit, and although this story does involve relationships, there are not any physically intimate details. Those who enjoy feeling a sense of unease as they read will appreciate this story, and anyone who likes mystery and suspense will probably not regret giving this book a chance. If you like science fiction and fantasy, this might not be for you. With the exception of children, Hidden Depths is appropriate for all ages.

Hidden Depths
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I know just what you mean about relaxing as soon as you realise you have found a good book. You can usually tell after a few pages, can't you? And this does sound like a good one!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Julie Green wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 14:36 I know just what you mean about relaxing as soon as you realise you have found a good book. You can usually tell after a few pages, can't you? And this does sound like a good one!
It really was a good one! I felt like I was reading something from a well established author.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Your review perfectly described the book as a whole and tied in the best features of the book along with your own thoughts. It seemed like the book was able to fully immerse you in the New Zealand setting. Great review! Based on your write-up alone, I want to read this one :)
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

KristyKhem wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 15:37 Your review perfectly described the book as a whole and tied in the best features of the book along with your own thoughts. It seemed like the book was able to fully immerse you in the New Zealand setting. Great review! Based on your write-up alone, I want to read this one :)
It made me want to visit New Zealand!
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Wow, this sounds really intriguing! You're right, based on the cover and title I would have passed before reading your excellent review. I look forward to reading it!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Cecilia_L wrote: 07 Jul 2018, 20:05 Wow, this sounds really intriguing! You're right, based on the cover and title I would have passed before reading your excellent review. I look forward to reading it!
Thank you! It was a hidden gem.
peters261
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peters261 »

Looking forward to reading it.....Sounds pretty intressing
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

peters261 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 08:50 Looking forward to reading it.....Sounds pretty intressing
It's a great story.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds very deep and suspenseful indeed. It has a very brilliant plot. Thank you for your usual superb review JuliKay.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

Your review has made me want to read this book. It's the best feeling when you know you have found a great read.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

crediblereading2 wrote: 08 Jul 2018, 22:17 This sounds very deep and suspenseful indeed. It has a very brilliant plot. Thank you for your usual superb review JuliKay.
Thank you for the compliment!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

JR Mercier wrote: 09 Jul 2018, 02:22 Your review has made me want to read this book. It's the best feeling when you know you have found a great read.
It is worth reading!
Hannahrg
Currently Reading: Survivor's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahrg.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by Hannahrg »

The review was perfect, it got my attention and now I am excited to add this book to my shelves and start reading it. The story seems to have a twist and most probably has a unique plot based on the official review. I love reading mystery and crime stories since I am working in the legal field and would want to gain more knowledge as possible to help others stuck in such drastic situations. Hence, I'm about to add this book into my shelves, get a cup of coffee and start reading the same.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds interesting right off the bat. The title and cover art drew me toward reading this review, which I enjoyed. Thank you for the great and honest review. I will add this book to my list.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”