Official Review: 60th & Haverford by Neal Goldstein

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: 60th & Haverford by Neal Goldstein

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "60th & Haverford" by Neal Goldstein.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“The World Meeting of Families, a gathering of the Roman Catholic Church, convenes every three years. In 2015 Philadelphia was the site selected for the meeting. Over 18 thousand delegates had registered to participate and several hundred thousand, perhaps as many as one million, pilgrims and visitors from all over the world were anticipated to attend the conferences and programs during the seven-day meeting. The meeting was the culmination of Pope Francis’ first visit to the United States.”

Goldstein, Neal. 60th & Haverford (Kindle Locations 15-20).

60th & Haverford by Neal Goldstein is probably named so because of its what the intersection of the two means for Philadelphia. Despite the repeated calls of the police in that area, the corner’s gang do what they want. One day, following a strange incident, veteran detective Frank Benson is assigned to the investigation. As Philadelphia eagerly awaits the visit of Pope Francis, there is a temporary drain on the police force’s manpower. The investigation helps the detective take a deeper look into the drug culture of a young and bitter America, and the corruption of the police.

Neal Goldstein was born and brought up in Philadelphia. He now resides with his wife in Haverford, Pennsylvania. He is a graduate of Temple University and Temple University School of Law and currently practices law in Philadelphia representing labor unions and employee benefit plans. He also authored Murder and Mayhem in Manyunk, Fishtown and Northern Liberties, (the Jack Regan/Izzy Ichowitz trilogy) and The Pa-la-ti-‘shan (Politician).

This particular work by the author is a seminal text that uses crime to look at culture and decay in a larger sense. The author talks about the authentic American experience, good or bad, and he talks about what happens to this experience under the weight of crime and drugs. It helps the author make a social commentary in a sense, and despite its limited projection of society, it offers a broad perspective of what a particular society can possibly become if it falls prey to its own weaknesses.

The plot of this story was quite interesting. There were hardly any loopholes. While I found the ending a bit problematic, the rest of the story was quite well-wrought. Of the characters, I felt the there was a bit of flattening of them that made me lose interest very early on because any story that reaches out to tell a “single story” falls on a grander scale, in my opinion. I felt that the characters were more like caricatures of what they were demographically expected to be, which made it a little disappointing for me since the story itself was quite good.

The writing style of the author was raw and refined at the same time. There were no errors (from my analysis) in the text. I love how the author has attributed a certain style of speaking to the police, something we already associate with them. This made the quite book realistic. Overall, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I strongly suggest it to adult readers who love crime and mystery novels.

60th & Haverford
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The story sounds interesting and I like crime and mystery novels. I might just give this one a go despite the character problem.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I enjoy crime and mystery novels. Needless to say, this book is right up my alley. Thank you for your thoughts on this book.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

What I know is that crime and drugs are bad influences on any culture. Thank you for your splendid review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

An ending can really spoil the book, but it sounds like this one was enjoyable anyway. I appreciate your review, though the book doesn't really sound like something I would enjoy. You make it sound enticing. I'll keep it in mind for later. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

This book has been declared fit for my attention, I would have to go get it and digest it!!!

Thanks for recommending...
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

It's a shame the characters weren't better developed but this still sounds like a suspenseful read. Excellent review!
bookierme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by bookierme »

The plot sounds interesting enough for me to want to read this book. Great review. I think I will give this one a try.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A thriller revolving around crimes that occurred during the Pope's visit to the US sounds intriguing. Drugs, murders, and terrorists add to the intrigue. It sounds too realistic for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it despite the problematic ending. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This book sounds like one that I would like to read, since I like crime and mystery novels. Thanks for the review!
Samhe
Bookshelf Size: 0
2024 Reading Goal: 97
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Samhe »

Suspense and crime are my favorite and this piece delivered it so effortlessly. I wonder wat must have been running through Neal's mind while writing this book
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

"60th & Haverford" by Neal Goldstein seem interesting, dramatic and it seems to be based on real-life experience. Drugs, murder and the Pope's visit to the United States. I am sure historical-loving fans will enjoy this one.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I enjoy crime fiction, but I think I'm going to pass up on this for now. It seems a bit too much like the true crime podcasts I listen to and I don't want to let that cloud my judgement on it.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Crime and drugs have a great influence on any culture. While mystery books are not my kind, I want to try this one.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Crime and mystery are such a winning combination for fans of these genres! Thanks for the insightful review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”