Official Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Official Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by bclayton13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Sundown" by Carl H. Mitchell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell, the world in in the grip of an energy crisis. The lights of New York City are black and the NYPD is functioning with scarcely a skeleton crew. To protect the populace, independent organizations roam the streets. The world's oil reserves have all but disappeared and now the whole world depends on a shadowy organization, The World Council, for its energy. Nick Garvey, a tough but overworked NYPD detective assigned to investigate the murder of the Vice President, knows from the beginning that he's onto something big, though he has no clue just how big.

I found Nick to be supremely enjoyable. His wit and sarcasm sparkled on every page and I found him to be totally relatable and believable. I enjoyed reading his assessments of situations and how he encountered them. Even more, I enjoyed reading through the story's twists and turns with him as he tried to figure out how all of the puzzle pieces fit together. As for the other characters, the villains are devious and positively depraved (one even had me wanting to cuddle my dog). The side characters who work with Nick all had their own individual personalities and bantered with Nick perfectly in tune with them. There are few, if any, stock characters here.

At times the dialogue between characters is used for info-dumping, though each character's individual personality still shines through, even then. While I don't usually enjoy info-dumping in dialogue, I enjoyed this – I particularly enjoyed Nick's sarcastic tour of the grid while he arrested a suspect. I enjoyed Nick's trip to the library for its own particular brand of info-dumping, I thought his research into the recent past was a great way of explaining how the world had come to be as it is in the novel. While informative, Nick's trip to the library was highly relevant to his investigation and to the storyline itself. I found this to be a theme, while Nick did take time to see his daughter, not a single thing he did distracted from the book's main plot. The investigation was forever in the back of Nick's mind and, as a result, the reader is kept on track. I appreciated this immensely, as this allowed the story to continue at a steady pace that kept me intrigued and stole my attention.

This book was satisfying from beginning to end, flowing smoothly from one event to the next. I found absolutely no errors that distracted me from the story, a rare occurrence. Even more, I admired the author's use of language when giving his descriptions. More than once, I found Nick's description of a scene to be succinct, and funny enough to make me laugh out loud. At times, the book shifts perspectives to the villains and we can watch as they plan their next moves behind Nick's back. These shifts in perspective weren't distracting, and instead added to the tension as I learned details and plans that Nick had only the faintest inkling of. More than once, I worried for the main hero.

This book was a page-turner of epic proportions. At first I thought the book's premise was lofty; a dystopian murder mystery combined with a political thriller? How was that going to work? Yet, this book made it work in the best of ways. I give Sundown 4 out of 4 stars

Sundown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bclayton13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

It sure made it work for I can see its perfection immersed into your every word. Sounds like a perfect detective book, I should add it to my bookshelf right away!!!

Thanks for this awesome information..
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

From your review, it sounds like the murder mystery/political thriller combination worked well, which is a credit to the author. I think I would also enjoy Nick's character. Your in-depth description of him made me think of Christoper Meloni's portrayal of Elliot Stabler in Law and Order's SUV. Thanks for the recommendation!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Nice rating. I love that this takes place in an almost dystopian setting. But it's a murder mystery. That's very intriguing to me. With such a high rating, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

bclayton13 wrote: 30 Jun 2018, 23:41
This book was a page-turner of epic proportions.
You got me with this single line.
Honestly, the energy crisis topic scares me a bit, because it´s so possible. I mean, it´s not entirely an unrealistic dystopia. But your love for the main character's wit and the page-turner line convinced me. I do enjoy a bit too much sarcastic, sassy, witty characters and I´m a total sucker for the kind of books you can´t just put down.
Thanks for a great, insightful review. Otherwise, I would never have considered this book.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The read sounds so gripping, which is evident in the tone of your review. I am definitely drawn to this book. Thank you for this awesome review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Maksiub1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Maksiub1 »

I'm adding this right-away to my book shelve, thanks for this review.
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Such a nice detective story! Well done with the review!
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

Was really impressed with the review. It gave me second thoughts about reading the book. Thanks for the insight.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”