Official Review: Fault Line by T L Scott

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Fault Line by T L Scott

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fault Line" by T L Scott.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fault Line by T. L. Scott is a gritty account with distinctive characters. Bill and his friends are living with his parents, having come to witness Julie, Bill’s sister, exchange vows with her fiancé. The problem is, there is little to do in the sleepy town. Everything changes after a gunshot is fired a short distance from where the friends are conversing. They soon realize that war has followed them to the small town. Been the soldiers that they are, they rush into action, always alert and forever covering each other’s moves.

It is Bill who sees the culprit first, a drunken man holding a gun to a lady’s face. Despite the impending threat on her life, she does not cower and returns his glare and horrific laugh with a steady gaze. The man is determined and he is sure he wants to see her dead after the humiliation he thinks she caused him. This serves as the opening scene to a riveting narrative where the topics of drug-trafficking and human-trafficking are explored. The boys will have to battle a gang, not just any gang, but a well-connected one that has links with the authorities.

I liked that Fault Line had a blockbuster opening scene. After I familiarized myself with the characters, the action began. It barely stopped until the end. The exchange of fire that characterized many of the following scenes gave me the reason to continue reading the book and it held my interest to the end. However, as the plot unraveled, I would have liked to encounter less obvious criminals than those set in the beginning. There is little suspense along the way despite the heated scenes and fascinating subplots.

The flow and the development of the book are its greatest impediment. Some scenes do not connect to each other. In other places, little or no explanations are given which left me a bit confused. As a whole, the book comes together and with time I was able to connect the dots. Still, every part of any book should blend seamlessly into the storyline.

I loved the unique approach that T. L. Scott took in his book. Soldiers fighting crime in their homeland added an eccentric twist. The characters are well-defined at the beginning and their individuality was brought out to some extent. The bond they share was also evident.

Fault Line also raises awareness of drug smuggling and human-trafficking crimes which are predominant issues facing many nations across the world. I felt that this gave the book meaning.

Sadly, there were also many grammatical errors that affected the book’s quality. I rate Fault Line by T. L. Scott 2 out of 4 stars.

Fault Line
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

It's hard to follow books when they don't run the storyline seamlessly. Also sounds like the author should have used the money for an editor rather than a review. Thanks for the honest review. Sadly this is one I don't think I'll give any second thought to.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The riveting opening sounded really interesting. The themes also are relatable to our times. The failure to follow through is disappointing. Thanks for your review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review's introduction to the book really piqued my interest. It's a shame about the lack of editing and failure of the storyline to connect. Thanks for the informative review.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

After the blockbuster opening scene, what follows sounds disappointing. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this one!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Human and drug trafficking are definitely important issues that we don't discuss enough. It's too bad the flow and grammatical errors hinder the story and message so much. I think I'll take a pass on this one until some more editing is done. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love when an action-packed book hits the ground running in the opening scene, but I think the flow issues would annoy me. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 »

Great review and expository, so this book is probably just for fun reading with all the blockbuster scenes....
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

I am a fan of the C/M/T/H genre, but the issues raised with the story flow and grammatical errors are the very things that have become absolute "no-goes" for me. If I reading something just for fun, it HAS to be well-written in every way, most especially grammatically speaking. And I do not any longer have the patience for books that leave me scratching my head and wondering, "Huh? Wait, how did we get here?" Even if things get sorted later. Thanks for the review.
Sharon serena
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-serena.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sharon serena »

Its hard to follow up a book with a many grammatical errors. I admire you courage for finishing the book. Thanks for the review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love lots of action but it needs to be tied together with plot.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

It almost reads like an action movie! Sounds all right, the obvious criminals might get a little boring to read about though. The cover art is what drew me in to read this review, which was great.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I'm an action lover and this book seems to deliver such. But through your intriguing review, this book has grammatical errors and unexplained plots that will distract me from enjoying it. So I will pass. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”