Official Review: Friends List by Rob Watson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
MsTri
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 15362">The Prodigal Son</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Official Review: Friends List by Rob Watson

Post by MsTri » 29 Jun 2018, 14:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Friends List" by Rob Watson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whenever I get a Facebook notification that one of the people I'm following - yes, I am a stalker - has changed their cover or profile picture, I get excited and go to have a look-see. Fortunately, the pictures are generally selfies or family members or pets. Rarely...okay, never...have the pictures been of my dead friends' mutilated bodies. Lexa Rhodes, unfortunately, is not so lucky. In Rob Watson's book, Friends List, a depraved killer is murdering the orphan's friends in the order in which they appear on her "Roommates" account, replacing their profile pictures as previously mentioned. Why are Lexa's friends being targeted? Is the killer saving her for last? Or does the killer have something more nefarious in mind?

As a huge fan of books involving serial killers with unique M.O.s, I couldn't grab this tome fast enough, and I am so glad that I took the chance. The tale opens much like the movie, Scream, introducing a pretty young girl who will be dead before the minute hand clicks over. From there, the action blends quite well with the suspense. Interspersed with the brutal killings are scenes wherein we see Lexa interacting with her remaining friends or her beloved twin, Alex, or her psychiatrist. If you've seen movies like the Scream series or the Final Destination films, you know the basic story flow. In addition to figuring out who's killing her friends and why, Lexa also has to contend with the mystery of what really happened on the night that her parents died in a cabin fire.

While I enjoyed the book overall, the best part by far was the latter quarter. By this point, I had long figured out the killer, but the author threw in two twists that totally blew my mind and made figuring out the murderer pale in comparison to everything else going on. No sooner had I partially recovered from the first hard jab than the author hit me with an uppercut from which I'm still trying to recover twelve hours later.

Even though the author did a superb job tying up the loose ends, I do still have a few questions, though they're not central to the plot. Cassie, for instance, is Lexa's blind friend, and it's mentioned at least twice that an accident caused the blindness. The exact cause it not given, though, so I was left curious. I don't want to give anything away by naming more things that I wonder about, but suffice it to say that I don't have as quite a "full" a sensation as I usually do after such a meaty book.

The characters in this tale are pretty much the stock characters one finds in movies such as I've named above. There are the requisite conceited girl, the cocky boy, and the virginal protagonist, among others. Also, while Lexa and her compadres are in their early-twenties, the book reads much like a teen novel, and I kept forgetting that the friends are a little older. Aside from Lexa and her twin, who are pretty well fleshed-out, everyone else is pretty much drawn with a very fine pencil. The author gave just enough information about them for the reader to recognize their type. Even so, I did enjoy their camaraderie with each other when they weren't mourning the newest death or worrying about their own mortality. I will say that not really getting to know the characters made it difficult for me to mourn their losses though. In fact, a couple of the friends were so cliché and unlikable that I was actually glad to see them go!

Lexa also has an interesting relationship with her twin, Alex. I'm sure that we've all heard that twins have a special bond that people born of single births will never be able to comprehend. I therefore think that Mr. Watson did a phenomenal job conveying just how strong that bond can be. When they gave each other a "look" or spoke without words, I got to know a little bit more about that connection, which I think served the story very well.

Unfortunately, this novel also has a couple of knocks against it. Perhaps its similarity to teen slasher movies is the cause, but I felt like the writing itself was a little sophomoric. For instance, each character's introduction was immediately followed with their simple description. Lexa is "a comely dark-haired twenty-two year old", her Aunt Amanda is "a slender woman in her mid-fifties", and CK is "a tall, dark-haired, handsome man". You get the idea. The rest of the tale is written much like this, with more telling than showing, aside from the murder scenes.

Even if I could overlook the simplicity of the writing, I could not ignore the numerous grammatical errors. The main missteps were mistakes in punctuation. There were also a number of instances where "onto" was used when it should have been "on to", or the author penned "in to" when it should have been "into". Mr. Watson did acknowledge proofreading help, but I strongly urge him to hire a professional editor so the book can become the polished gem that it could be.

I wish that I could give Friends List four stars, but due to the large amount of grammatical mistakes, I have to give it 3 out of 4 stars. The other things I mentioned are perhaps my own "pet peeves", so I won't lower the score any further because of them.

Any fan of teen slasher films or books should enjoy this tale, as should fans of murder mysteries or serial killer stories. Readers who enjoy a moderately-paced book that suddenly sucker-punches them with twists may like this as well. On the other hand, I would advise those who cannot tolerate graphic violence to steer clear of this novel. Whether you decide to read this or not, I'd also caution you against immediately checking out any friends' new profile pictures; you never know what you'll see!

Friends List
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Kashosi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Kashosi » 30 Jun 2018, 05:38

This brings the mystery social media ha. we never know whose request we have accepted, some people are stalker and there is nothing harassing than that.Thank you for the review i have watch the scream movies and won't mind reading the series.

thabo_thabo
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by thabo_thabo » 30 Jun 2018, 09:07

It is a fascinating book, though it is a bit diabolic the characters. Puts me on alert on what it is going on out there, strange things happen to good people. :shock2:

stacie k
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by stacie k » 30 Jun 2018, 09:21

Teen slasher is definitely not for me, but the twists and turns you mention sound compelling! Thanks for your thorough review as it highlights both positive and negative aspects.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a

SereneCharles
2018 Reading Goal: 60
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles » 30 Jun 2018, 09:26

Now you got me really scared with your last sentence. I like checking out my friend's profile pictures too. I hope I never see what Lexa saw. A serial killer! A murder list! I'm sure checking this one out. I love suspense. I'll read the book, no matter how it is as long as I'll know the killer at the end. Thanks for this detailed review.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:

Roc Madness
Currently Reading: Deadly Focus
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness » 30 Jun 2018, 10:44

I love your review and will tweet it out. I enjoy teen slasher films so I'll give this one a chance. Looking forward to reading it.

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading: 4 Shots: Murder in Mormondom
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: More than a Conqueror by Sharon Walls-Griffin

Post by Cecilia_L » 30 Jun 2018, 13:01

Wow, your introduction to the book really grabbed my attention! I do love a good murder mystery, but teen slasher films--not so much. It's a shame about the editing. Thank you for a great review!

mac83
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mac83.html
Latest Review: Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by mac83 » 30 Jun 2018, 13:12

What a great review! This book sounds really awesome. I love that it grabs you in and has twists. That makes for a really good book. Hoping the author goes back through on their next book for errors so they can get a 4 out of 4!

Bianka Walter
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: Iron Gold
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: White and Proud by Keri Brye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 30 Jun 2018, 13:40

MsTri wrote:
29 Jun 2018, 14:22
yes, I am a stalker
Aren't we all?! This made me laugh!
This is such an interesting idea for a book. I'm not surprised you snatched it so quickly.
Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 282
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Porcelain Faith by Anthony Civiletti

Post by teacherjh » 30 Jun 2018, 15:51

This sounds like a good premise and an exciting read.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Shadow Saints by M. C. Jackson

Post by kdstrack » 30 Jun 2018, 20:51

Don't think this book is for me. But really liked your review. Nice job!

julessawyer
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by julessawyer » 01 Jul 2018, 00:49

The murder list based on the protagonist social media account is quite cool but sophomoric writing did discourage me a little. your review is quite good. i hope to read this but not in my immediate list i think. thanks for review.

bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: Beyond Denial by Juri Vancans

Post by bclayton13 » 01 Jul 2018, 01:24

I definitely like the idea of the book, and the twists and turns mentioned got me a little excited. I think anyone reading about Cassie’s blindness would expect some twist about it if the cause isn’t immediately revealed. Most thrillers do work that way so I suppose it’s natural to expect that.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 53
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Hand of Silver, Hand of Gold by Christopher Grey

Post by kandscreeley » 02 Jul 2018, 08:05

I'm not really THAT into horror novels like this. Add to that the simplistic writing and grammatical errors, and it's just not a must read for me. I'm glad you liked it, but I think I'm going to skip it. Thanks, though!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by Dahmy 10 » 02 Jul 2018, 16:52

If you ask me, a book is only interesting when the end puts you at the edge of the cliff, and you literally shake while reading it. It seems this novel has proven to be one of those, from what I see here. From the cover alone, it tells a lot!!!

It sure sounds like final destination with a twist to the plot though.

Thanks for this awesome enlightenment, this is one to look out for, I hope the errors are worked upon...

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”