Review by bookiegalke -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
bookiegalke
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Review by bookiegalke -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by bookiegalke » 28 Jun 2018, 11:55

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The name Da Vinci is a household name in art, at least for me it is. Leonardo Da Vinci was an artist who is celebrated by art lovers for the Mona Lisa. The girl who knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami combines art, history, mystery and relationships to script a story that would interest lovers of art, romance and crime thrillers. Belle Ami employs suspense as a tool to entice the reader to ponder over how the story will unfold.

The girl who knew Da Vinci intertwines the quest of the characters in the story to find a missing Leonardo Da Vinci’s painting. Angela Renatus is an art historian whose dreams and visions about the painting play a big role in solving the mystery of the missing painting. When Alex crosses path with Angela, determination to solve the mystery behind the missing painting becomes their driving force. Alex is a detective on hire by his client Max Jaeger. Max is on a mission to clear his uncle’s name and will make use of the resources at his disposal to eliminate anyone who stands in his way.

At face value, the cover photo to the book paints the picture that art would be a dominant theme in the story. However, on reading the story it becomes evident that the themes of power, history and relationships prove that perception wrong. While the mystery of the missing painting is a determining factor in the story line, how the characters relate to each other influences the development of the story in a big way. The timeline in the story keeps shifting from present to past. The character’s present lives somehow find a connection with people who lived in World War II.

Though I’ve never really taken an interest in the work of Leonardo Da Vinci, the story is interesting to read. Certainly, people with an interest in art, and in particular Da Vinci’s art work, would find this book an interesting journey to discovering more about the celebrated artist. Lovers of history too would equally not be disappointed if they considered reading the book.

Overall, Belle Ami’s attempt at reconciling the past with the present is, without a doubt, deserving of a perfect score. For that I reason I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The plot of the story does not drag on. The momentum in the story enables the reader to follow through the story without getting bored. I recommend the book to lovers of romance, history and art.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookiegalke's review? Post a comment saying so!
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”