Official Review: The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy by Kim Ekemar is a continuation of the series of books titled ‘The Complete Callaghan Tetralogy’. The author has thus named the entire collection of books ‘The Callaghan Septology’. The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy, which I will be reviewing below, has books with the following titles: ‘Callaghan in the Cross Hairs’,’ The Hourglass Running out of Sand’ and ‘The Final Facedown’. This collection of books falls into the C/T/M/H genre.

The main character of the story is Matthias Callaghan: a man who has gone through many trials in his life, including losing his identity. Yet, if Callaghan thought that he would have a peaceful life, and that he had left all of his previous life behind, he could not have been more wrong. Some of the themes of the book include questions about identity and karma. In a sense, this book shows that all things in life are intertwined, and that your past never truly goes away no matter how hard you may try to hide from it.

The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy begins with an idyllic picture of Callaghan’s life. He seems to have settled into a peaceful routine with his new family. He lives with his wife Samantha and young twin sons. However, things start to go awry when they decide to go to Europe for a holiday. When Callaghan lands in Italy, he is immediately arrested. He is then extradited to the United Kingdom. However, after finally being freed from police incarceration, he is then kidnapped and almost killed.

He then has to take the precarious journey, that so many others have taken, in order to return to Europe. His and his family’s life is thrown into turmoil as he tries to escape his captors. However, one thing seems to go wrong after another.

While a lot of the previous story focused on Callaghan, this trilogy gives a greater insight into Vasily Ivanovich, the leader of the Russian Mafia in London. Vasily is going through some big changes of his own. His whole organisation and even his identity is at stake. He needs to make some important decisions in order to salvage what he has now. We also see the return of Dr Sternmacher, the doctor who performed the face transplant for Callaghan, and several other characters from the previous books.

Callaghan is a well-rounded character. Although he has done questionable things in his past, and his anger does sometimes tempt him to seek revenge on those who seek to do evil to him; in the end, he ultimately choses to do what he deems is right.

When I first began reading this trilogy, I thought that the storyline might become repetitive or stale. I questioned the ability of the author to continue writing a captivating continuation of the story. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Ekemar is a talented writer who is able to weave the lives of the characters in such a way as to keep the reader entertained.

An interesting thing I noticed, is that all of the characters' points of views are written in third person, except for Callaghan who’s point of view is written in first person. This perhaps highlights the importance of his character in the book.

I have also reviewed The Complete Callaghan Tetralogy. If readers are interested, they may read my review on the first few books, so as to get an understanding of the entire series.

Since these books are part of a Septology, it is highly recommended that they are read in order and in conjunction with the previous Callaghan Tetralogy. I rate this Trilogy a 4 out of 4 stars. It continues with the same interesting story-line and builds on the characters stories while showing character progression. I hardly picked up any grammar mistakes worth mentioning. This Trilogy, would appeal to those who enjoy mystery, action and drama.

The Callaghan Endgame Trilogy
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds interesting. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it, but I just don't think it would be up my alley. Also, I haven't read the tetralogy, so I think I would be lost. Thanks for your review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I havent began this series, but based on your description it sounds like you had a lot fun with it.Still debating on whether to read or not to read. Thanks for the great review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am glad that you were pleasantly surprised after the fear of the entire story not being captivating. Thank you for your honest review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”