Official Review: Front Runner by Geoffrey Moehl II

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Front Runner by Geoffrey Moehl II

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Front Runner" by Geoffrey Moehl II.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Front Runner recounts the story of Larry Bianchi, a poor boy from the wrong side of the tracks, that is desperate for greener pastures and a champion racehorse. With a knack for choosing winning racehorses, Larry captures the attention of some shady characters. When Mr. Bugiardini offers him a once in a lifetime opportunity, he jumps into the mafia underbelly with no question about what it might entail. Follow Larry as he learns the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. Sometimes, it’s just a crook waving a green flag.

Front Runner started off great. A young, underprivileged kid with ambitious dreams getting caught up with the mafia - It sounds great. I enjoyed the story introducing the reader to a young Larry. We see him bright-eyed and innocent, as he dreams big with his friends about horses and enough money to help out his widowed mother. It makes his motivations real, and as the reader, I understood why Larry did the things he did. It also created a depth of character that I liked.

I genuinely liked Moehl’s portrayal of Larry’s love interest, Marissa. She’s not the type of romantic interest you would expect for a book set in the 1950s. She’s aggressive, takes control and loves winning. Front Runner runs a fine line between gore, organized crime, and utter ridiculousness. It led to incredible bouts of comic-relief, but, unfortunately, it also created a disconnect. It’s difficult to empathize with a character that you never really see as human. I want to connect with the character's story, not just read about it.

Now, although the book’s cover should have warned me, I was expecting something a bit more serious. The blurb was suitably ominous, and I was looking for a riveting read about a man struggling with temptation. Instead, I read about young boys becoming men by surviving their hormones, love and a crazy guy named Chef Jack. I was amped for battles, but none ever came. More time focused on describing horseracing statistics and Larry’s feelings for Marissa.

Larry had great drive, and his motives were always clear. I just wish that same detail had been used with the other characters, especially Marissa. I could have loved them all, but something was sorely lacking. The timeline also became confusing with huge time-skips and no indication of how long had passed.

I am happy to admit the typos were few, with only a missing quotation mark or two. While Front Runner is predominantly full of silly fun, it receives its fair share of gore, sex, and profanity, so be warned.

I rate Front Runner 2 out of 4 stars. I loved Larry’s mission and how his character grows throughout his journey, but I would have enjoyed Front Runner a lot more if there had been more detail to the supporting characters, and a sombre tone here or there, just to create a connection between the reader and the story. I would recommend this book to those seeking a story of a young boy as he grows into a man while battling his hormones and a guy with a meat cleaver.

Front Runner
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

It's a pity that the story was not as well-developed, which is a turn-off for some. However, the premise looks interesting. Thanks for the detailed review as always!
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 02:37 It's a pity that the story was not as well-developed, which is a turn-off for some. However, the premise looks interesting. Thanks for the detailed review as always!
It really could have been something great! Thank you for the kind comment :tiphat:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

JR Mercier wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 12:17 I would recommend this book to those seeking a story of a young boy as he grows into a man while battling his hormones and a guy with a meat cleaver.
That is a hilariously described group of very limited size that, unfortunately(?), wouldn't include me. I'll pass. Very entertaining review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

SamSim wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 04:59
JR Mercier wrote: 26 Jun 2018, 12:17 I would recommend this book to those seeking a story of a young boy as he grows into a man while battling his hormones and a guy with a meat cleaver.
That is a hilariously described group of very limited size that, unfortunately(?), wouldn't include me. I'll pass. Very entertaining review!
Thank you :lol2: :lol2: And no worries. I don't mind the battle with the meat cleaver. The hormones on the other hand... :lol2:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This definitely sounds like you were expecting one thing and got something else. It always sucks when that happens. It doesn't really sound like a book I would enjoy anyway, and with the rating, I'll pass. Thanks for the information, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 07:38 This definitely sounds like you were expecting one thing and got something else. It always sucks when that happens. It doesn't really sound like a book I would enjoy anyway, and with the rating, I'll pass. Thanks for the information, though.
It definitely is. And thank you for commenting.
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I loved reading your review of this book. The description of the main character makes the book sound like it could be a good read; however, after reading the rest of the review it might be one I'll be skipping. It is always a downfall when you think you'll be reading one thing and it turns out to be another, but that's just how some books go. Thank you for such an in depth review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Oh no that innocence robbed away from Larry by the mafia. I would like to read more. There's ringing of truth behind this phrase, "Grass is not always greener on the other side" which can also serve as moral lesson to readers. It's okay to be ambitious but don't be quick to believe with things too good to be true. Thank you for your review in this.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I think I wouldn't enjoy reading this. Thanks for the review though.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

mac83 wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:01 I loved reading your review of this book. The description of the main character makes the book sound like it could be a good read; however, after reading the rest of the review it might be one I'll be skipping. It is always a downfall when you think you'll be reading one thing and it turns out to be another, but that's just how some books go. Thank you for such an in depth review!
Thank you for the wonderful comment! :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Your review made me smile, but I don't think this book is for me.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cecilia_L wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 14:44 Your review made me smile, but I don't think this book is for me.
I'm glad I could make you smile! Thank you for the comment. :D
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 28 Jun 2018, 11:02 Oh no that innocence robbed away from Larry by the mafia. I would like to read more. There's ringing of truth behind this phrase, "Grass is not always greener on the other side" which can also serve as moral lesson to readers. It's okay to be ambitious but don't be quick to believe with things too good to be true. Thank you for your review in this.
Exactly! There are consequences to all out actions. It wasn't a terrible read but it could definitely been more. Thank you for the comment!
bclayton13
Currently Reading: Roanoke
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bclayton13.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by bclayton13 »

This sounds more like a comedy, and the cover definitely made me laugh. I could enjoy this one now that I know what I’m getting into. Thanks!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”