Review by dgallois -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
dgallois
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 148
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dgallois.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by dgallois -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by dgallois » 18 Jun 2018, 21:07

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a political thriller that asks the question “What would you do if you knew that you only had 10 days to live?”

Would you contact family and friends to say your goodbyes? Would you get your legal affairs in order? Would you take a once-in-a-lifetime trip or make a generous donation to a deserving charity? Or would you do something more sinister, like commit murder?

The story is set in the very near future and revolves around an innovative new sports watch that is just beginning the first of several testing phases. Vijay Patel, the inventor, is a brilliant physician, mathematician, and health enthusiast. He has developed this watch to monitor blood chemistry so accurately, it can predict when someone will die up to 30 days in advance. This feature is called Final Notice. It is meant to give the wearer the ability to get their affairs in order before it is too late.

Throughout the book, we are introduced to a compelling cast of characters, including a retired couple, an eighty-nine-year-old man in a retirement home, a senator, a climate scientist, a FBI agent, and many more. Each character is faced with the Final Notice, and we see how they plan to spend their last days. My favorite characters are Vince and Trudi, the retired couple. They are the most developed characters. The way that each of them approached the subject of gun ownership is relatable to all of us. There are also a couple twists with this couple that I really enjoyed.

I liked the concept and the unpredictability that made it almost impossible to put the book down until I finished reading it. There are surprises that kept me guessing. I believe Van Fleisher did a great job developing memorable characters and revealing a lot about human nature. I also believe he addressed contemporary problems such as, prejudice, gun control, and political corruption.

I only thing I did not like about the book was the portrayal of the NRA in obstructing gun control. I am not saying that it is right or wrong, I just have a different opinion than the author. I also would like to add that I don't believe I will want this technology if it does become available.

I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The book appears to have been professionally edited as I did not find any errors. I recommend this to anyone who loves a good story no matter which side of gun control you are on. We may not all agree but don’t let that stop you from enjoying this book.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like dgallois's review? Post a comment saying so!
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn ~ Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”