Review by CheyenneR -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by CheyenneR -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by CheyenneR »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a novel full of suspense and very current political troubles. The story focuses on Trudi and Vince Fuller, two senior citizens who realize they are moderately out of touch with modern times. After hearing about multiple shootings perpetrated by gunmen who have received a senior discount from the NRA, they work toward reintegrating their selves into modern society. The story also shares focus with the VitalTech company, a recent startup that is focused on making sports/health watches that will alert the user of when they will die. Between VitalTech and Vince and Trudi, we get a story fraught with politics and the sad state that both the fictional and real United States is in.

One of my favorite things about this book is that the author flawlessly transitions between Vince and Trudi and VitalTech. After getting insight into either the company or the personal lives, the author switches back to the other and ties the two together well.

There is a good deal of suspense building up throughout the story and it leaves the reader feeling anxious to see what is going to happen. Many books are easy to put down for a while and then you must coax yourself into continuing to read. This book was quite the opposite.

Initially, I thought that some of the dark humor might be in bad taste but as I read through the story I realized that it helps the reader cope with the parallels in our own world. Some situations might hit home and the dark humor helps keep the reading somewhat light while bringing up some of the real-world repercussions that the tragedies have.

Towards the end, I assumed this book would have the sad and predictable ending that it somewhat foreshadowed. I was happy I was wrong and because of that, I enjoyed the book even more. The author also kept the ending from being a cliché as well. The ability to do both is refreshing.

The only parts of the book that I didn't enjoy were two sections when the author breaks the fourth wall (metafiction in literature). I felt it strongly disrupted the flow of reading and the scene would have been stronger without it. Other than those two instances and a small spacing error, I saw no problems.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is well written, and the topics covered are all too real in today's world. Even with that being the case, the reader can decipher what is real and what is fiction. Anyone with an interest in books that strongly parallel the real world will enjoy this book. I would also recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a more political book with a focus on gun control.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like CheyenneR's review? Post a comment saying so!
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

Sounds like yet another intriguing futuristic story about senior citizens, gun control and the choices one makes when they know for certain when they are going to die. What I like about your review is how you hinted that there is a twist happy ending. Call me cliche, but I do love happy endings! So, I just might pick up this book soon! Good work on the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”