Official Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Official Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by joshfee77 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar is Book I of a series of seven called The Callaghan Septology. It begins with a male patient who awakens from a coma in an expensive-looking hospital room with no idea of his identity. Strapped down to the bed with his face bandaged, the nurses feed him intravenously. He believes the hospital is in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, though he isn't sure how he knows this. His wife arrives, an attractive woman he can't remember. She tells him that they live in London, are rich and have a butler. The doctors and nursing staff tell Callaghan that somebody kidnapped him, but he is safe now. When a nurse removes bandages from his hands, he sees to his horror that someone has cut off all of his fingers and thumbs.

The man's memories begin to return. He is Matthias Callaghan, named after his father and grandfather. His father is a rich, morally reprehensible womaniser who has borrowed much money from his son without paying it back. Callaghan III and his friend Allan Gould once committed serious credit card fraud on over 900,000 VISA, MasterCard and American Express customers, skimming over ten million dollars in small transactions to fund their own business. But someone has also stolen fifteen million dollars from the Russian Mafia, and they blame Callaghan for it. In addition to removing his fingers, they take a razor blade to his face, and the doctors in Switzerland have to do a face transplant, after completing the first ever only three years earlier. Callaghan and his wife Julia attempt to return to their old lives while adapting to the stranger's face he now wears.

I enjoyed the strong opening to this book, with the anonymous patient waking in a hospital room with very little knowledge about himself and his situation. All he knows is what the doctors and nursing staff tell him... and are they telling the truth? This sort of uncertainty is particularly compelling at the beginning of a mystery thriller, as it makes me want to read further to solve the puzzle. Ekemar writes in a conversational style that is easy and enjoyable to read. The story moves forward at a decent pace, never stagnating. There is enough technical detail provided about the business world - and the criminal underworld of the Russian mafia - without slowing the plot. The author seems to have a sound understanding of both.

Disloyalty and revenge are major themes in The Lost Identity Casualties, with plenty of mistrust and betrayal throughout the story. The dark, all-consuming nature of revenge is also explored, as Callaghan finds a strange satisfaction in plotting against those who wronged him, and in alienating those who were a part of his former life.

There are a few minor issues with punctuation and formatting in this book. The main one is regular placement of a comma after the quotation marks at the end of a character's speech, instead of before. A number of new paragraphs are not indented, and a few sentences contain clumsy wording. For example: "I felt absolute conviction that he anyway never would muster the courage to call Berlosky to verify my information." I feel this would be easier to read as: "I felt absolute conviction that he would never muster the courage to call Berlosky to verify my information, anyway."

The book switches between Callaghan's viewpoint and an omniscient viewpoint reflecting different characters. While this is common in thrillers, I found one particular example, where two characters meet and the viewpoints switch mid-scene, a little disconcerting and distracting. Here, we jump from the first person of Callaghan to the third person of the other character, then back to Callaghan two paragraphs later. My personal preference is for viewpoint characters to swap only at chapter or section breaks.

I rate The Lost Identity Casualties 3 out of 4 stars. The plot is ingenious and well-executed, and the pieces of the puzzle fit together nicely. The only reason I am unable to rate it 4 stars is because I found more than ten errors throughout the manuscript, aside from the punctuation and indenting mentioned. Most of these were simply missing or incorrect words, easily fixed. This book would appeal to those who like intriguing mystery thrillers with intricate plots; however, some of the concepts are quite gruesome, so the squeamish need not apply!

The Lost Identity Casualties
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like joshfee77's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I like a good mystery and you've sold it to me.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Great review. I love books dealing with lost identities, it's always thrilling to see the characters retrieve who they are and what led them to losing their memory to begin with.
Berry :wine:
sexylady123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by sexylady123 »

Great review...and nice quite identity for hiding for who's hunting yours money again,, if example that happened for your true and in your back to life...it is good there's no other to shows fast...you should be faster discovery on your trial..its good learner to know suspicious and exciting to love it reading...for me this rate is 5.....
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Oooh! I'm intrigued already. I love starting the story out with someone with amnesia trying to remember who he is. This one sounds incredibly thrilling despite the errors. Thanks for a great review. I'll have to look at this one further.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Sounds like a suspense-filled page-turner. The plot sounds really captivating, and I like the way the story begins.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
juniorel
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by juniorel »

This is a nice book. Kind of a thriller. With the new face and the memories coming back, mr.callaghan can actually exact revenge on the people who did this to him. Total thriller. Qualifies to be an adaptation to be a Tv series.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This one is definitely going to be a good read. However, the fact that this is a part of a series might make me lazier to pick this up for reading. Great review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Nice! I love the story. Sounds like it has a strong hold and a grip on the reader. I am sure it will fascinate a lot readers. Thank you for your review
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 04:18 Great review, I like a good mystery and you've sold it to me.
Yeah, it really got me in from the start, and the author seems knowledgeable about both the business world and the criminal underworld.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

strawberrysab wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 05:54 Great review. I love books dealing with lost identities, it's always thrilling to see the characters retrieve who they are and what led them to losing their memory to begin with.
I’ve always enjoyed reading thrillers about characters with lost identities too - it adds a lot of suspense and mystery to keep you reading!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

sexylady123 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 07:39 Great review...and nice quite identity for hiding for who's hunting yours money again,, if example that happened for your true and in your back to life...it is good there's no other to shows fast...you should be faster discovery on your trial..its good learner to know suspicious and exciting to love it reading...for me this rate is 5.....
Definitely a page-turner, and very readable from start to finish!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

kandscreeley wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 07:51 Oooh! I'm intrigued already. I love starting the story out with someone with amnesia trying to remember who he is. This one sounds incredibly thrilling despite the errors. Thanks for a great review. I'll have to look at this one further.
Well worth a read, quite addictive, and the errors are only minor. Thanks for your comments!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

Nimat87 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 11:30 Sounds like a suspense-filled page-turner. The plot sounds really captivating, and I like the way the story begins.
Yes, the plot is really quite intricate and really kept me intrigued all the way through.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:

Post by joshfee77 »

juniorel wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 13:21 This is a nice book. Kind of a thriller. With the new face and the memories coming back, mr.callaghan can actually exact revenge on the people who did this to him. Total thriller. Qualifies to be an adaptation to be a Tv series.
I could definitely see this made into a TV series, especially being a septology! Great first book in the series, highly entertaining.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”