Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Once Bitten" by Bill Hansmann.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a backwards whodunit, Once Bitten starts out by letting us know exactly who the murderer is. Dr Jerry Simons is a dentist. He is also a misogynist who treats women (especially those in his employ) like pieces of meat intended only to satisfy him. His wife, Michelle, is sick of Jerry’s nonsense. She meets Keith, an intelligent and attractive bartender, and the two start an affair and eventually fall in love. At Michelle’s request for a divorce, Jerry allows his narcissistic inclination to guide him, and he plans and implements her murder. With all of this, he is also able to plant enough evidence at the crime scene to frame Keith for the grisly deed.

Keith is convicted and is consequently awaiting his termination on death row. His sister, Diane, is convinced her brother was framed for the murder. Diane enlists the help of the Atkinson Detective Agency to clear her brother of the charges. Mike and Linda Atkinson are extremely apprehensive. After being offered a huge retainer by Diane, they decide to look into the case further – even if only to back up the original verdict. The deeper they look, the more they find out that this case is more than what was originally thought to be open and shut.

Because the killer and the motive are known from the start of the book, at no point did I go, “Wow, I can’t believe that happened.” It was more of a story about how the case was solved and how the characters got to where they were. The author, Bill Hansmann, is also a dentist, and I enjoyed a lot of the technical aspects he included. Forensically, it helped the story become a bit more believable. The character's backstories and personalities took up a great deal of the narrative. He went into every one of their childhoods, their hopes and dreams, and how ultimately, they became who they were when our story took place. It made every individual relatable.

Even with the sturdy cast of characters, the storyline was lacking a little. Because every part of the crime is known to the reader, I found it unnecessary to go into so much detail when the characters were trying to untangle the mystery. It just made it lag a little bit. With a touch more focus and not as much repetition, the author can make this a truly engaging read.

The book was not professionally edited. I found no spelling errors, but the grammar is awful. A good round of proofreading would make this book so much better. The errors consist of too many spaces between words and punctuation, double and triple dashes, and commas in random places. Once such example reads: “Her cell phone was shut off , she had explained--- plugged into the charger Her reluctant testimony to that effect had totally destroyed Keith’s excuse...”

I rate Once Bitten 2 out of 4 stars. I have removed a star for the editing. This can easily be rectified just by opening this book as a Microsoft Word document (which is the format I received it in). I removed the second star for the lack of focus in the story. This is not a long book, so the repetition in some cases is noticeable. When Linda’s brother mentions that he is embarrassed about his enthusiasm (that actually turned out to be nothing) five times, it gets a little stale. Again, nothing that can’t be tightened with a good proofread. Other than that, I enjoyed this book and think it has a lot of potential. I would recommend it to people looking for a solid story with rich characters. I would not recommend it to anyone looking for a fast-paced action thriller with loads of crazy twists and turns.

Once Bitten
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I got excited at first thinking ’Ooh a Columbo!’, but the investigations in Columbo we're fascinating. This sounds a bit of a drag.
Wow! The grammar IS terrible. If I were faced with ’Her cell phone was shut off , she had explained--- plugged into the charger Her reluctant testimony to that effect had totally destroyed Keith’s excuse...”’, I think my head might explode. 😄
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I was WOWed by your review from the beginning, but to bad the story was rather about solving the case. Seems to stir up a lot of trouble. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I don't so much mind knowing the killer and motive ahead of time, but I've had my fill of books that are badly in need of editing - what is with these self-publishers?! - so I don't want to muddle through another if I can help it. Thanks for the review, though; if the author comes out with a revised edition, I'll definitely read it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I hope that Jerry is made to pay for his crimes and Keith is cleared of this murder charge. This is a really interesting plot. Sorry about the editorial flaws though. Great review.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I've read stories where dramatic irony shows us everything the characters don't and the story is about the reveal of what we already know (such as Oedipus Rex or anything by Shakespeare). The fun comes in seeing it happen when we hope it doesn't/ hope nothing goes wrong.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Helen_Combe wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 04:47 Great review. I got excited at first thinking ’Ooh a Columbo!’, but the investigations in Columbo we're fascinating. This sounds a bit of a drag.
Wow! The grammar IS terrible. If I were faced with ’Her cell phone was shut off , she had explained--- plugged into the charger Her reluctant testimony to that effect had totally destroyed Keith’s excuse...”’, I think my head might explode. 😄
Yes, aside from the wealthy relative seeking detective help, NO similarities to Columbo whatsoever! Thanks so much for the comments :D
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 06:26 I was WOWed by your review from the beginning, but to bad the story was rather about solving the case. Seems to stir up a lot of trouble. Thank you for your review!
Well, exactly. I think this could be so much better! Thanks so much for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsTri wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 08:59 I don't so much mind knowing the killer and motive ahead of time, but I've had my fill of books that are badly in need of editing - what is with these self-publishers?! - so I don't want to muddle through another if I can help it. Thanks for the review, though; if the author comes out with a revised edition, I'll definitely read it.
I totally agree. Like I said, it just needs to be opened up in Microsoft Word to see all the red and blue underlines. And the format I received it in was a word document! So I don't know how it could have gone this badly wrong. Aaaanyway.
Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

crediblereading2 wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 13:13 I hope that Jerry is made to pay for his crimes and Keith is cleared of this murder charge. This is a really interesting plot. Sorry about the editorial flaws though. Great review.
Yes, what a pity. I could easily recommend this if it weren't for the shocking editing job.
Thank you so much for the comment :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

DathanReeves wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 14:43 I've read stories where dramatic irony shows us everything the characters don't and the story is about the reveal of what we already know (such as Oedipus Rex or anything by Shakespeare). The fun comes in seeing it happen when we hope it doesn't/ hope nothing goes wrong.
Yes exactly... cue the nail-biting moments. I think this has a little work to get there :)
Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!
- Dr. Seuss
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I like the plot and i find myself rooting for Keith now, but I don't think I will be able to enjoy this without professionally edited. Thank you for your thorough review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I thought this was some vampire fiction. Anyway, I liked how you have presented your points throughout the review. I think this book is not for me.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 20:11 I like the plot and i find myself rooting for Keith now, but I don't think I will be able to enjoy this without professionally edited. Thank you for your thorough review.
I do hope it gets a good round of editing :) Thank you for stopping by!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 13:55 I thought this was some vampire fiction. Anyway, I liked how you have presented your points throughout the review. I think this book is not for me.
It took me a while to figure out how the title relates to the book, so confusion is warranted :)
Thanks for the comment.
Last edited by Bianka Walter on 19 Jun 2018, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”