Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: Once Bitten by Bill Hansmann

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the well-written review. Despite its flaws, I think I really like the storyline of this book.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

Based on the title, I was completely expecting some sort of vampire or werewolf story, but a dentist is an interesting twist on that sort of title. Of course, I think it ironic that this is about dentists, which is often considered in literature to be one of the dullest professions known to man. It’s interesting to see that juxtaposed with murder. Great review!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Nimat87 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 15:12 Thanks for the well-written review. Despite its flaws, I think I really like the storyline of this book.
Yes, the storyline was definitely interesting :)
Thanks so much for stopping by!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kendra M Parker wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 15:22 Based on the title, I was completely expecting some sort of vampire or werewolf story, but a dentist is an interesting twist on that sort of title. Of course, I think it ironic that this is about dentists, which is often considered in literature to be one of the dullest professions known to man. It’s interesting to see that juxtaposed with murder. Great review!
Absolutely! Apart from being a profession with one of the highest suicide rates, there really isn't much more to them is there? :lol2:
Thanks so much for the comments!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
drackeye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drackeye.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: slredirect

Post by drackeye »

If the entire book is as atrocious as the line you quoted, I would have to ask "Who cares about the lack of spelling error?" A fantastic book can be absolutely ruined by a lack of basic editing.
"Always do your absolute best in all that you do. Especially when you don't want to."
"If you cannot be proud of the job you did when you are done, you wasted your time."
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by jgraney8 »

This is a helpful review for me. I like mysteries with developed characters whether the killer is known at the beginning or revealed at the end. However, I like a balance between plot and character, and this book looks like it has more of the latter. Also, a lack of proofreading or poor proofreading makes the reading experience a slog. I have decided from this review that this book is not for me.
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Once Bitten is a clever title for a dental job. The editing should have been given the same thought as the title. The book needs brushing up, no?

I thought the most boring people are accountants like me, LOL!

BTW, I learned yesterday that reverse whodunits are called howcatchems. Interesting trivia for crime-lovers!

P.S. Is that bit about suicides among dentists true? Ah, looking at cavities day in and day out must be depressing!
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

drackeye wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 18:02 If the entire book is as atrocious as the line you quoted, I would have to ask "Who cares about the lack of spelling error?" A fantastic book can be absolutely ruined by a lack of basic editing.
I totally agree. I was so surprised that the spelling was so stellar when the grammar was so bad! It was weird :?
Thanks for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

jgraney8 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 18:20 This is a helpful review for me. I like mysteries with developed characters whether the killer is known at the beginning or revealed at the end. However, I like a balance between plot and character, and this book looks like it has more of the latter. Also, a lack of proofreading or poor proofreading makes the reading experience a slog. I have decided from this review that this book is not for me.
Thanks for reading! I think this book has a lot to gain from a good editor. The premise was solid, just needed a bit of tweaking.
Thanks for the comments :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 18:49 Once Bitten is a clever title for a dental job. The editing should have been given the same thought as the title. The book needs brushing up, no?

I thought the most boring people are accountants like me, LOL!

BTW, I learned yesterday that reverse whodunits are called howcatchems. Interesting trivia for crime-lovers!

P.S. Is that bit about suicides among dentists true? Ah, looking at cavities day in and day out must be depressing!
You know, I always get so excited when I see you have commented on my reviews. You always have the BEST things to say! So no, accountants are DEFINITELY not boring, I should know - I have four of them in my family :oops:
I love the word howcatchems - what fun!
So about dentists... remember the movie 'The Whole Nine Yards'? Bruce Willis... Matthew Perry... hilarious. Well, Matthew Perry's character in the movie was a dentist, and people kept on telling him that dentists have the highest suicide rate. So I googled it before I wrote it in that comment, and it turns out it's not true. But they are in the top 10 :doh:
Thank you, again, for the really awesome comments. You are awesome :D
- Dr. Seuss
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Bianka Walter wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 16:26
You know, I always get so excited when I see you have commented on my reviews. You always have the BEST things to say! So no, accountants are DEFINITELY not boring, I should know - I have four of them in my family :oops:
I love the word howcatchems - what fun!
So about dentists... remember the movie 'The Whole Nine Yards'? Bruce Willis... Matthew Perry... hilarious. Well, Matthew Perry's character in the movie was a dentist, and people kept on telling him that dentists have the highest suicide rate. So I googled it before I wrote it in that comment, and it turns out it's not true. But they are in the top 10 :doh:
Thank you, again, for the really awesome comments. You are awesome :D
Awww! You are so sweet. Thanks, Bianka!

P.S. I know I watched "The Whole Nine Yards" and vaguely recall that Bruce was a dentist. Is this the one where he was more valuable dead (because of life insurance) than alive?
mariacarolinea
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariacarolinea.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by mariacarolinea »

Even though I'm not a fan of criminal theme, the beginning of your review peaked my interest. Unfortunately, after reading all of it, I do not think I would give this book a shot. Knowing all the details and even who's the one behind everything early on can be a no-no for many, myself included. Thanks for the detailed review!
Ugbusco
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Ugbusco »

Dr Jerry Simons attitude towards others especially women was hideous. It is a bad example which must be abhorred.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

mariacarolinea wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 17:55 Even though I'm not a fan of criminal theme, the beginning of your review peaked my interest. Unfortunately, after reading all of it, I do not think I would give this book a shot. Knowing all the details and even who's the one behind everything early on can be a no-no for many, myself included. Thanks for the detailed review!
It was definitely a different take on a murder 'mystery' :)
Thanks for reading my review, and for the comments!
- Dr. Seuss
NSehra
Currently Reading: Cinderella and Colonel
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by NSehra »

Such an awesome review! Even though the book failed to impress, you pointed out alot of details, problems and gave solution as well. 😀

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”