Review by SweetMelissaV2131 -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by SweetMelissaV2131 -- The Girl Who Knew da Vinci

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 » 16 Jun 2018, 15:44

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Girl Who Knew da Vinci" by Belle Ami.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami is a creatively written story about a woman, Angela Renatus, from a small town who lands the intern position of an Art Researcher at The Getty Museum in Los Angeles. The downside of the job, though, is her boss, Dr. Alberto Scordato. Dr. Scordato is the director of the museum who is overbearing and constantly makes sexual moves towards her. He uses his position within the museum as leverage against Angela and it makes her very uncomfortable all the time. Angela starts to have dreams that scare her and don’t make much sense. These dreams and visions keep her from sleeping. While she is at work, she tries to do everything she can to immerse herself in her job and projects she’s assigned and tries to avoid her boss as much as she can. It isn’t until she meets Detective Alex Caine and her whole entire world as she knows it changes forever. She jumps head first into many adventures and sometimes life-threatening situations in order to solve the mystery of a missing Da Vinci painting that was stolen during World War II.

This is the first book by Belle Ami that I have read. I really enjoyed her style of writing and the creative plot that she created with this book. There is an element of paranormal within the story that actually consists of 3 love stories. The author incorporated the paranormal aspect of Angela having visions of two of her own past lives. I thought this concept was so very intriguing. It could have gotten confusing to the reader but Belle Ami made sure to start each chapter and the sections within the chapters with locations and dates so that the reader didn’t get mixed up with the progression of the story and the integration of the past lives being explained in Angela’s visions.

I loved how descriptive Belle Ami was with this book. Angela and Alex find themselves traveling to many locations that are foreign to Angela. She has never left the United States but in this story she finds herself traveling to amazing places like Italy and Rome to name a few. Having never traveled myself, I found that Belle Ami was so descriptive with the locations and surroundings that I actually could visualize the buildings, landscapes, and locations in the story. Her writing helped me feel as though I was there with the characters. Another thing I liked about this book was the detail about the new cuisine that Alex was introducing Angela too. It was almost as if I were the one eating the food. My senses went into overdrive. I found myself craving a lot of different Italian cuisine while reading this book.

The one thing that was disappointing to me about this book was the sexual content. I did not realize that it was going to be so descriptive and almost explicit. I think the author could have toned it down just a little bit but considering the connection between Angela and Alex that is described in the past life visions, it is understandable that the sexual connection between them was portrayed so strong and passionate. Belle Ami did a really great job of making the reader feel the passion and intimacy but I wonder if there could have been a little less of it? It made me wonder if Alex was just after Angela for sex but then Belle Ami explained the complex connection between them. One thing that was missing was the details of actual detective work to solve the mystery but I can’t help but think that that was Belle Ami's intention due to the paranormal aspect.

I give this book a 4 out of 4 rating because of how well it was written. I felt myself wanting to just read it from beginning to end in one sitting. I did not find many errors within the book except for a few missing quotation marks during some of the dialogs between the characters. I was so interested in continuing the story though that it was not distracting. I certainly will recommend this book to anyone who likes a mystery with a paranormal aspect. I would not recommend it for younger readers though due to the sexual content. I am very excited to read more work by Belle Ami and I hope that she continues to write more books that involve Angela and Alex solving mysteries.

The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SweetMelissaV2131's review? Post a comment saying so!

Dahmy 10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dahmy-10.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by Dahmy 10 » 18 Jun 2018, 13:05

This must be a very interesting book, what even caught my attention the most is the title of the book; I am trying to look for how to download it..

This is a beautiful review too!!!

SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 » 20 Jun 2018, 09:58

Dahmy 10 wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 13:05
This must be a very interesting book, what even caught my attention the most is the title of the book; I am trying to look for how to download it..

This is a beautiful review too!!!
It is very interesting! Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment! I hope you are able to download it and read it! It looks like it is the beginning of a new series by this author!

alisonedgee
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee » 20 Jun 2018, 10:00

good review, shame about the sexual nature, but glad you seemed to have a good time with the rest of it

JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier » 20 Jun 2018, 12:21

The descriptions sound beautiful. It's always great when a book makes you feel like you're there with the characters. Great review!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 » 20 Jun 2018, 18:12

alisonedgee wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 10:00
good review, shame about the sexual nature, but glad you seemed to have a good time with the rest of it
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my review. I did really enjoy this book. I will admit, some parts made me blush :oops: but I kept reading because the plot really had me hooked!

SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 » 20 Jun 2018, 18:14

JR Mercier wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:21
The descriptions sound beautiful. It's always great when a book makes you feel like you're there with the characters. Great review!
It truly was so visually appealing to read the descriptive nature of the author. I do not travel outside of my comfort zone of where I live but with this book I felt like I was there experiencing everything the characters were. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my review!!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”