Official Review: Baturi by Matthew Stephen

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: Baturi by Matthew Stephen

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Baturi" by Matthew Stephen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Baturi by Matthew Stephen is a semi-autobiographical novel about being a British man teaching in Nigeria. It follows a character named after the author, Matthew, as he combats the unique challenges of his position: limited resources, inability to engage with his students, and losing touch with people back home. Most notably, he struggles with balancing his relationship with a girlfriend in Britain with a burgeoning romance between him and Chantel, an attractive Canadian volunteer.

After going on vacation to another town with Chantel, though, he finds himself with a great deal of money that implicates him in a plot to overthrow the Nigerian government. This development separates the book starkly into two halves: one where Matthew is living a slow and relatively simple life as a teacher, and one where he is on the run from the police. The pacing left a bit to be desired, as the first half was extremely slow, but it was ultimately necessary to build up the second part of the book, though I can see some readers becoming impatient with it.

Overall, though, the book did an excellent job portraying the issues faced by a white man in Africa, especially for that long. The sense of cultural isolation Matthew felt was deep and poignant, and the reactions other characters had to him were realistic and interesting. The world he is in felt vivid and detailed, with a personal touch that made the reader feel almost like they were experiencing the same things as Matthew was. This immersion is the book's greatest strength.

My biggest gripe was with how the other characters were written. There's a constant focus on Chantel's beauty, and it was as if she was only there as a temptation for Matthew, and, later, as a prize to be won or lost. While many of the other characters are more developed, they're still somewhat flat. There's so much focus on Matthew's personal story that none of the relationships between his character and the others feel especially engaging, though this does play into the vast cultural divide present between him and the Nigerians.

At the end of the day, though, Baturi does what it sets out to do. It's a fascinating and insightful look into how white men are treated in parts of Africa, specifically Nigeria, and the second half of the book is riveting. I didn't feel that my personal issues with it were enough to warrant not giving it 4 out of 4 stars. It's likely too focused on an outsider to provide accurate information about African culture, but it's strong narratively, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in the unique cultural conflicts it portrays.

Baturi
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I was very drawn to the cover of this book. Great review!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an interesting read - I would like to see how the remnant issues of Nigeria's colonisation affect the protagonist. Thanks for the detailed review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I've never been to Africa, so I can only imagine how difficult it would be. It sounds like this one has a lot of good in it, but I don't know if I could get past the slow start. Still, I might have to try it. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This book sounds like a different take on treatment in an outsider community and how a person struggles for identity in foreign land. It's interesting how this autobiography features a white man in an African region and not the other way round.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Most common issue that the expatriates face is the cultural barriers and culture shock. Sounds like a very interesting read to dig into. I wonder what on earth made him land on a large sum of money used to throw of the government. It's like "are you out of your senses?" Very interests read. Thank you for a descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It is interesting how the author portrayed themes like limited resources, inability to engage with his students, and losing touch with people back home. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”