Official Review: Trouble in Bay Town by Alan M. Blank

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Trouble in Bay Town by Alan M. Blank

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Trouble in Bay Town" by Alan M. Blank.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Trouble In Bay Town by Alan M. Blank is an easy and enjoyable read which manages, very cleverly, to be contemporary while having the nostalgic feel of a 1940’s detective novel. Sonny Knight, a private investigator, is approached by Miss Oglethorpinger because she hasn’t received either her inheritance or her payment for playing the piano in a local bar. Sonny isn’t particularly excited by this case until he discovers that a young woman goes missing every time Miss Oglethorpinger goes out and tickles the ivories. How these two occurrences are related become central to Sonny’s investigation.

What I liked most about this book was the gentle humour and the strong relationships that the characters formed with each other. It is immediately clear that the author has a sense of humour from the disclaimer at the start of the book.
This book is [a] work of fiction. Any resemblance to actual people or events is purely coincidental. Except the part of the guy in the police station filing a claim about his identity being stolen. That was me.
The atmosphere of the 1940s is created in a variety of ways. Sonny refuses to use a computer or to own a mobile phone. Cookie, his ‘Gal Friday’, deals with that side of the work while he happily continues with his filing cabinet and landlines. Everybody in the town appears to know everybody else, and most of the men have old-fashioned nicknames like ‘Cha-Cha’, ‘Ace’ and ‘Whitey’.

There are some nice nods to other classic detective authors. There is an Agatha Christie picture on Sonny’s calendar; he refers to his Poirotesque ‘little grey cells’, and he never goes anywhere without his Panama hat. I had to keep my concentration up because if it drifted, my mind’s eye would immediately dress him in a trench coat and fedora.

One refreshing point is that Sonny is an all-round nice guy without the failings usually attributed to detectives. He’s not divorced; he’s capable of fulfilling relationships; he's not depressed; he used to smoke, but he grew out of it, and though he keeps a bottle of Scotch in his desk, he’s not a drunk. Also, Sonny works quite amicably alongside the police detectives. A nice change from them being a mere foil to make the private detective look clever. Admittedly, there are a couple of knuckle-draggers, but they add to the entertainment. The badinage between the men is generally good-natured and feels natural.

While most of the book is quite light, there are serious moments. There is rape and murder, but thankfully we do not see these occurrences as they happen, and they are not dwelt upon.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It is very well written, but I did spot some typos. Not too many, but more than I would expect to get past a professional editor. If I could, I would give this book 3.5 stars, but as I can only give whole numbers, I am rating it 3 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to people who like a gentle, humorous, old fashioned and not too taxing detective story.

Trouble in Bay Town
View: on Bookshelves

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

OOOOHH, this sounds like a book I would love! It has been a long time since I have read a noir-type book, and it sounds promising indeed that it doesn't have some of the undesirable baggage that can go with that genre. I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the review.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I saw this book on the list, and while I was interested, I wasn't INTERESTED. But having read your review, it's now on my 'Want to Read' shelf and my Wishlist @ Amazon. I especially like the mix of 40s with the more contemporary, whereas Sonny won't use modern technology. I'm also intrigued by women disappearing when Miss O plays the piano... Thanks so much for the review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Kat Berg wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 22:55 OOOOHH, this sounds like a book I would love! It has been a long time since I have read a noir-type book, and it sounds promising indeed that it doesn't have some of the undesirable baggage that can go with that genre. I will have to check this one out! Thanks for the review.
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

MsTri wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 01:13 I saw this book on the list, and while I was interested, I wasn't INTERESTED. But having read your review, it's now on my 'Want to Read' shelf and my Wishlist @ Amazon. I especially like the mix of 40s with the more contemporary, whereas Sonny won't use modern technology. I'm also intrigued by women disappearing when Miss O plays the piano... Thanks so much for the review!
Thank you. I hope you enjoy it.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a lovely read that I would enjoy. Detective read is a genre that I stated to like very recently, and as you said I really like the quote. The author's humour just adds in to make this book sounds handful. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds great! I love the old-fashioned vibe and the humor. Loved the review, too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thank you, I hope you get a chance to read it.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review! It seems like an intriguing and light afternoon read - I like that old fashioned style sometimes as well.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 09:55 Thank you for the comprehensive review! It seems like an intriguing and light afternoon read - I like that old fashioned style sometimes as well.
Thank you, you’ve summed it up perfectly.
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

This book sounds like a fun, comical take on detective noir stories. I might enjoy this.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

DathanReeves wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 15:41 This book sounds like a fun, comical take on detective noir stories. I might enjoy this.
I hope you do. Thanks for posting.
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading a good detective novel, and one where the author has a sense of humor will make a better read. Will add this to my want to read list.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

This certainly sounds like something I would like. I enjoy the subtle humor and nods to other authors. The era is right up my alley too! Thanks for a great review!
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

trajoe1206 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 20:37 Thanks for the review. I enjoy reading a good detective novel, and one where the author has a sense of humor will make a better read. Will add this to my want to read list.
Thank you and thanks for posting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”