Official Review: Prey to the Lord by Frank Catanzano

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Prey to the Lord by Frank Catanzano

Post by Dael Reader »

Out of curiosity...you mention that you hate it when authors don't use italic to indicate a characters thoughts. I've seen this in one of the OBC books that I read, but never before. I'm a Chicago Manual of Style girl and that use of italic is not kosher in Chicago. So, what style guide is it from?
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I realized one letter in a word does make a difference. Initially I thought this will be some kind of religion book; I didn't expect this to be a fiction book. The plot of this book kinda reminded me of the case law that I had read for my criminal law where the defendant has schizophrenia thinking that the world is better off without prostitution and he went on killing prostitutes every night believing thats what God told him to do so. Im interested to read this book although I will have to try to skip the graphic content.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a very detailed and insightful review. I would classify myself as a bit faint hearted so I think I will pass on this one. I like your suggestion for a modification of the title. If I was the author, I would consider it in subsequent reviews or editions. Cheers!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

MsTri wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 13:18 Finally, if you're a reader who likes the idea of child molesters getting their just desserts in a gory fashion

Who isn't?!
I really enjoyed your review - this book sounds like one to put on the 'to read' shelf. I really hope the author takes your advice and gets the book through a round of good editing.
Thanks for the awesome review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Dael Reader wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 17:09 Out of curiosity...you mention that you hate it when authors don't use italic to indicate a characters thoughts. I've seen this in one of the OBC books that I read, but never before. I'm a Chicago Manual of Style girl and that use of italic is not kosher in Chicago. So, what style guide is it from?
It's not technically an official "style", just a personal preference. I think it's partly from seeing it in many books that I've read, but it also works aesthetically for me; the italics lets me know right away that it's a thought versus dialogue or just story-telling.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”