Official Review: Liberty Too - The Cost Of Keeping Secrets

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Official Review: Liberty Too - The Cost Of Keeping Secrets

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Liberty Too - The Cost Of Keeping Secrets" by Andrea Mells.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Liberty Too: The Cost of Keeping Secrets by Andrea Mells is a purely fictitious tale that will leave its readers engrossed with every intriguing detail that unfolds. It is intended to caution its audiences about the dangers of sexual abuse and its effects on both children and adults alike. The book also instructs on coping mechanisms that can be utilized to solve such situations. The focal point, however, centers around its premise. This depicts how disastrous a situation can become when someone knows a secret, especially a negative one, and decides to keep it.

The tale is told via three alternating novellas that culminate at the ending chapters. The first one features the frequently inebriated socialite Debra who struggles with a dirty little secret. Novella 2 is rendered in the first person by Jonita Liberty, the main protagonist. She tells the history of her life as a young girl who resides with her mom, dad, and her two (2) younger siblings. Unbeknownst to the rest of her family, for years, her dad has been sexually abusing her but has not penetrated her. He, however, has promised her that he would make her a real woman on her thirteenth birthday. Jonita believes him and waits with anticipation for this to happen. When her father is found dead, however, the entire community is left asking the question. Could this be the handiwork of Jonita’s mother who is the main suspect in this bizarre and tragic chain of events? If not, then who is the real murderer? The third novella, which gives a present account of Jonita’s life, finds her in a hospital in a comatose state. What could have caused her to be in this state and will she ever recover?

Author Mells who is a retired educator has displayed that she is profoundly gifted at capturing the attention of her audience by her use of words. She has skillfully manipulated the vocabulary of the English Language to easily bring to the minds of her readers, the agonizing details of the effects of sexual abuse. Her message is quite lucid and her writing clear and concise. Her audience can easily see the depicted vivid imagery of the depression and shame that Jonita and her family experience during their time of trauma. I have observed that the tone of the entire book is guilt. In the passages, Jonita desperately tries to escape both physically and mentally from the guilt and depression which consume her because of this abuse. Her mother equally feels this burdensome guilt because she was not alert enough to know that all this happens in her presence for so many years.

I totally enjoy reading this book. The events that occur throughout the pages are fast-paced, and I was certainly not bored at all. I love the fact that Jonita, despite her tribulations, still has the resilience to withstand many of these challenges. I hate the fact that Jonita’s mother didn’t handle her sexual abuse issues in a more mature and sensitive manner. Instead of encouraging and showering Jonita with much motherly love and affection, she is, at most times, detached and stone-faced which causes Jonita much confusion and shame. This is a situation that is so prevalent in today's society where many innocent children are sexually abused by their parents, guardians, friends, and strangers. Most times they are even threatened by these abusers. Sometimes when they happen to divulge these secrets, they are rebuked by their loved ones who should really be giving care and support at such challenging times.

I agree with the author on the title of the book as it is truly reflective of what can really happen when certain secrets that should be exposed are kept hidden instead. Having such heavy burdens can only lead to depression, alcoholism, drug abuse, and suicide. I have not noticed any errors that are relevant to be mentioned, therefore, I will unreservedly give this book a 4 out of 4 stars rating. I highly recommend this inspirational page-turner to persons who have undergone traumatic situations such as incest. It will positively motivate them to heal and to assist others to overcome their plights.

Liberty Too - The Cost Of Keeping Secrets
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

I am always hesitant to pick up this type of book. I believe your wonderful review has convinced me to give this one a try!
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I got goosebumps from the review alone. I need to read this book!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

crediblereading2 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 00:02 Sometimes when they happen to divulge these secrets, they are rebuked by their loved ones who should really be giving care and support at such challenging times.
This is so sad. I found this to be true when I was reading Stepping Up, by Donalyn Powell. The teens were often forced by their parents to hide their suicide attempts or abuse just for the sake of protecting the family's reputation. That really angers me and it's so wrong.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

The fact that this book discusses topics such as abuse makes it quite bold and powerful. I'm sure this book must be amazing, however, I'm not quite sure if this is for me. Your review is bone-chilling. I love reviews which mirror the book as it it.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
crediblereading2

daniya__shah3 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 13:46 The fact that this book discusses topics such as abuse makes it quite bold and powerful. I'm sure this book must be amazing, however, I'm not quite sure if this is for me. Your review is bone-chilling. I love reviews which mirror the book as it it.
Thank you for your comments. This is indeed a very powerful topic that many people can relate to.
crediblereading2

DathanReeves wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 01:26 I got goosebumps from the review alone. I need to read this book!
Yes indeed, it is a very touching topic. Thank you for your comments.
crediblereading2

SamSim wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 11:38
crediblereading2 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 00:02 Sometimes when they happen to divulge these secrets, they are rebuked by their loved ones who should really be giving care and support at such challenging times.
This is so sad. I found this to be true when I was reading Stepping Up, by Donalyn Powell. The teens were often forced by their parents to hide their suicide attempts or abuse just for the sake of protecting the family's reputation. That really angers me and it's so wrong.
I really cannot understand how parents can be so cruel to their own children. Thank you for your kind comments.
crediblereading2

elivia05 wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 22:29 I am always hesitant to pick up this type of book. I believe your wonderful review has convinced me to give this one a try!
Thank you for your comments. This is indeed a very powerful topic that many people can relate to.
crediblereading2

DathanReeves wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 01:26 I got goosebumps from the review alone. I need to read this book!
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Secrets and guilt - such interesting topics! I'm not surprised it drew you in. I really enjoyed your review, thanks so much!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Fantastic review. You’ve really piqued my interest. I was put off by the boring cover, but it sounds really absorbing and has an interesting structure.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

This is so sad, but so true. Keeping secrets can cost more than we ever imagined. Thanks for reviewing a difficult book. I hope it can help set someone free.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

It's so sad that issues like this happen. We can never really know the statistics because these experiences are kept secret due to shame and guilt, especially when the perpetrator is a family member. Thanks for the thorough review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review about the book which sheds light on the dangers of keeping secrets which can be nightmares at some point in later life
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”