Official Review: Waterlilies Over My Grave

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Elle Howard
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Official Review: Waterlilies Over My Grave

Post by Elle Howard » 06 Jun 2018, 17:03

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Waterlilies Over My Grave" by Patricia A. Guthrie.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Waterlilies Over My Graveis a psychological thriller written by Patricia A. Guthrie. The main character, Annabelle (Anna) O’Brien, is a psychologist that has started a new practice in the tourist town of Lake Nager, Wisconsin. Anna appears professional and poised. However, Anna has a dark secret. Her ex-husband is stalking her. Anna changes her name and moves across the country to escape his harassment.

Dr. Duncan Byrne is Anna’s ex-husband. He suffers a psychological break after receiving his divorce from Annabelle. He is very bitter and angry with her for leaving him. Anna is his former protege, and he feels she owes her successful career to him. He fantasizes over the awful things he has done to Anna. He plots ways he intends to make her pay for leaving him. An innocent phone call reveals to him where she is hiding. He sets his plans for revenge into motion.

Detective Mark Driscoll is Anna’s first patient at Lake Nager Medical Center. He is dealing with the aftermath of killing a man while on duty and is attending mandatory counseling. He is bitter about having to see a psychologist and is very rude and mean to Anna. He witnesses several violent acts directed at Anna and realizes she has a stalker. He is assigned to protect her, and a sexual attraction develops. Mark avoids his growing fascination with Anna by focusing on catching a serial killer that is murdering young women in Lake Nager.

One of my favorite parts of this novel is the dedication that the author makes to women in life-threatening situations that are forced to leave their families and friends to escape. I think this captured the essence of this novel perfectly. Anna is a successful, educated woman in an emotionally violent relationship. The author did an exceptional job giving the reader a glimpse into how this relationship started. The author demonstrates, through Anna’s story, how dangerous it can be to not seek appropriate protection if you find yourself in one of these relationships.

My only criticism of the novel is that I would have preferred the novel stayed focused on the Anna/Duncan/Mark triangle and not included the serial killer side story. I can understand why the author included this story. It did have a purpose which I will not discuss because I do not want to spoil the book for other readers. However, there are a lot of dynamics between the three main characters. I think the novel would have had more impact if it had stayed focused on these relationships. Also, I would have liked more explanation as to why Duncan behaved the way he did. The novel was missing that critical piece of information.

I rate Waterlilies Over My Gravea 4 out of 4 stars. This novel does not disappoint when it comes to nail-biting action. The storyline is not complex, but it is exciting and unpredictable. The ending left me longing for a sequel. It reads very quickly and flows very smoothly. The book appears to be professionally edited and free of errors. This book will appeal to fans of both action/suspense and romance novels. The writing style is similar to books written by Mary Higgins Clark, and Nora Roberts so fans of these authors will enjoy this novel. Victims of violent, domestic abuse might find the subject matter a little upsetting. Overall, this is a great novel and I hope the author has a sequel in mind for these characters.

Waterlilies Over My Grave
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elle Howard's review? Post a comment saying so!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

Sahani Nimandra
Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 103
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: This Nearly Was Mine: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 422
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 08 Jun 2018, 01:11

Wow I definitely like to see this book become a BOTM. There is a lot to discuss in this read. Fascinating beyond words. A psychological thriller as this seems to have a lot hidden agenda but the book cover does not show this at all. It is not striking as the story goes. Thank you, definitely on my shelf!
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are :techie-studyingbrown: - Mason Cooley

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Cruise Ship Murders by Clark Selby

Post by teacherjh » 08 Jun 2018, 02:23

I love psychological thrillers. This sounds great. I would never have guessed the content by looking at the cover.

joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi

Post by joshfee77 » 08 Jun 2018, 02:56

Wow, this is just my sort of thriller! I have read a few Mary Higgins Clark books in the past and really enjoyed them. Psychological terror is definitely my favourite genre of all. The detail re how the protagonist found herself caught in an abusive relationship sounds intriguing. Great review!

kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
Currently Reading: The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3)
Bookshelf Size: 278
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: Lux University by J.Y. Olmos
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 08 Jun 2018, 15:08

Love Clark, Roberts, and psychological thrillers! This sounds right up my alley, and I think the serial killer aspect actually adds more enjoyment for me. Your comment about not wanting to spoil anything makes me wonder if the serial killer piece ties back to Duncan some how.....

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 08 Jun 2018, 17:15

Sounds like this would keep me guessing on the edge of my seat. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Elle Howard
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 66
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard » 08 Jun 2018, 18:47

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
08 Jun 2018, 01:11
Wow I definitely like to see this book become a BOTM. There is a lot to discuss in this read. Fascinating beyond words. A psychological thriller as this seems to have a lot hidden agenda but the book cover does not show this at all. It is not striking as the story goes. Thank you, definitely on my shelf!
Once I finished reading this novel, my first thought was this would make a great BOTM!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou

holsam_87
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 75
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: A Little Lost A Little Found by HM Irwing
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 » 08 Jun 2018, 23:55

With as many problems with domestic violence as there are in society today, I think that this book would do a great job in bringing about discussions and showing the necessary resources to help those in need. I would love to read this.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Page_flick
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-page-flick.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Page_flick » 09 Jun 2018, 15:21

I will definitely love to read this because it is my type of book. Im a big fan of nora roberts also. The book sounds like a movie I've seen once but I'll like to explore this story.

sojimoh1
2018 Reading Goal: 50
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sojimoh1 » 09 Jun 2018, 23:18

This really caught my attention, this psychological thriller is one of a kind, the serial killer kept me guessing. Wonderful review! :tiphat:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”