Review by dcoutu1 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dcoutu1
Currently Reading: Interview with the Vampire
Bookshelf Size: 1790
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dcoutu1.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Review by dcoutu1 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by dcoutu1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster." - Frieda to Arthur upon their first meeting.

Lincoln Cole takes us into a world most of us only know in nightmares. Raven’s Peak: World on Fire Book 1 is a fast paced supernatural thriller for anyone who enjoys battling demons along side a strong female protagonist to save the world as we know it.

The story begins by introducing our heroin’s mentor, Arthur, alone in a dark prison cell far below the earths surface. We soon realize this is no ordinary prison, and the prisoners are no ordinary criminals. Arthur was a top hunter in a secret organization known as the Council, that hunts demons and their followers. The council meets with Arthur to ask for his help. He is told of Abigail’s disappearance, the one person he holds dear to his heart. He agrees to help them this one last time. He travels to Raven’s Peak and soon finds a gruesome scene greeting him in an abandoned town’s church. Abigail is possessed and the rest are all dead. He makes a deal with the demon, him for her, the demon agrees and Arthur disappears.

We fast forward a few months and find Abigail in Arizona doing newbie work for the council. They do not trust her after her possession and Arthur’s disappearance. Her current assignment to to watch a cell of the ninth circle and the demon leading it. She soon learns she is being followed by a young man named Haatim, who was hired by the demon to track Abigail down and document her moves. Haatim is a young man struggling with his faith after his sister’s death and is glad to have a job to take his mind off of it. He gets an uneasy feeling about the man that hired him but thinks nothing more of it. He soon grasps this man is trouble and his world is changed forever. He is captured by the cell ,and the women he has been following believing to be a criminal saves him and opens his eyes to a whole new life. Together they travel back to Raven’s Peak looking for clues on where Arthur went, along with some disturbances the council has lead her to believe are going on. Abigail and Haatim battle the demon while trying to save the small down from being declared a dead zone by the council. Can they save the town, destroy a demon, and learn where Arthur has been taken to in the hour they have before the council burns the town down?

I found this book very intriguing and hard to put down. It was fast paced and had me hooked from the Prologue. I gave Raven’s Peak a 4 out of 4 stars. I though the was wonderfully put together and had all the right twists and turns of a supernatural thriller. I do wish Lincoln Cole would of delved further into Arthur and Abigail’s past, along with explain more about the three girls in the church. In the prologue (page 16) it is made to seem the girls are special to the council in some way, but it is never further embellished. I do not see this as a reason to dock the books score however, this book is part of a series so hopefully these will be discussed in the future books.

I really enjoyed have two strong female charters in this book, Freida on the council and Abigail the huntress. A lot of times female protagonist are made to see invincible and hard to picture as real. With Cole’s writing Abigail seems human while still kicking some serious ass. We see the characters struggle with their faith and their emotions, which makes them relatable (as relatable as you can get with a demon hunter I suppose).

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dcoutu1's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”