Official Review: CUT by Amy S. Peele

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: CUT by Amy S. Peele

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "CUT" by Amy S. Peele.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Cut by Amy S. Peele follows Sarah Golden, who works as an organ transplant nurse, and her friend, Jackie, as they attempt to investigate a wealthy and famous recipient of an organ donation. Sarah suspects that she was somehow able to game the organ donation system. With a nationwide shortage of donated organs, this is a serious crime.

As a medical thriller, Cut is effective. It's full of deception and high-speed chases, and, except for parts towards the end of the book, the pacing is well-executed; nothing felt like it was rushed or dragging. While I did notice some awkward phrasing, such as "abdominal six-pack", the writing style was generally efficient and clear, with minimal typos. Every character feels distinct and interesting, even the antagonists. The medical and ethical aspects of organ donation are covered in sufficient detail, without feeling overwhelming.

My main problem with this book was that every aspect of it was sacrificed, at one point or another, for the sake of the plot. Rather than allowing the narrative to develop organically, it seemed like everything exists for the sake of the plot Sarah is involved in. Practically every conversation had something to do with organ donation and the deception surrounding the patient they are investigating, even if it was tangential. The settings, which range from Miami to Chicago, seemed to barely exist, except as a backdrop for Sarah and Jackie's escapades. Both the characters and the world they existed in felt somewhat flat.

At the end of the day, though, Cut was still an enjoyable read. It told the story it set out to tell, with very few bumps or inconsistencies, and the action and characters were enough to get me to keep reading. Because of the rather unrealistic and single-minded focus on the plot present in the writing, though, I can only rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

I can see Cut being a worthwhile read for committed fans of medical thrillers, particularly anyone interested in organ donation, as the book covers these aspects admirably. More general fans of the thriller genre will also enjoy this. The book does contain strong sexual themes, which is another thing that may dissuade some readers. I'd warn potential readers that this isn't a traditional mystery; the culprit is revealed within the first half of the book. Personally, though, I found enough reasons to continue reading that it was still rather enjoyable.

CUT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I was immediately put off from this by the cover and the title, but your review really brings it into focus and actually made me very intrigued to check this one out. It sounds like a suspenseful, exciting read. Thanks for the warning about the "flatness." Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

The title is Cut and the author's surname is Peele. I kinda thought this book was about fruit! LOL
Cdeyoungde
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 405
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdeyoungde.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Cdeyoungde »

KristyKhem wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:46 The title is Cut and the author's surname is Peele. I kinda thought this book was about fruit! LOL
:lol: Cute :lol: This is why we need good reviews. Even though it has flaws it sounds like it would still be a good read. I've often kidded that in order to make more money I need to sell a kidney. But alas, I can only do that once and then what? :no-spoil:
Attitude is the paintbrush with which we color our lives :lol2:
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

KristyKhem wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 14:46 The title is Cut and the author's surname is Peele. I kinda thought this book was about fruit! LOL
:lol: I love this observation. I had noticed the same thing, but just quietly on the surface of my mind.

Although I appreciate a good medical thriller, this one does not sound like it is for me. The strong sexual content, along with the critique that everything was sacrificed for the sake of the plot (that sounds exhausting to me!) make me not especially interested. Also, it is a theme that has been done before. A lot. And it does not really sound like the author brings anything new to the table. Thank you for the review! I am glad you able to find a level of enjoyment in the book.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I love a good medical thriller. Just unfortunate the settings and conversations were very much sacrificed for the plot. Still sounds like a good read, though.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

The story sounds a bit too single-minded for my taste. Thanks for the enjoyable review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like medical thrillers quite a bit. However, I think I might have to avoid this one. The sexual themes are disappointing to me, and I'm unsure of the way you keep saying that the organ donation just keeps coming up. Still, I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like medical thrillers but not when it is mixed with sexual content. Thanks for the interesting review.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Cdeyoungde wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 15:48
:lol: Cute :lol: This is why we need good reviews. Even though it has flaws it sounds like it would still be a good read. I've often kidded that in order to make more money I need to sell a kidney. But alas, I can only do that once and then what? :no-spoil:
Plasma! My brother donated plasma a few times to make some money. :doh:

I really like that the author is a major advocate of organ donation. I actually did my high school senior presentation on that topic as a persuasive analysis. In case anyone else cares about this, in roughly 25 (I don't know which) European countries you have to opt OUT (referred to as "presumed consent") of being an organ donor, whereas in the US you have to opt IN. Those Euro countries have in the 90% range of people who are classified as organ donors. In opt-in countries it's only about 15%. This to me is absolutely crazy. Ok soapbox commentary is over.

Really enjoyed this review and think I would like this book. I enjoy medical thrillers. I don't mind knowing who the culprit is early in the book as long as the rest of the story is executed well. A mystery doesn't always revolve around whodunit.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! Medical thrillers is a genre I enjoy, but it is a pity about the slipshod handling of the various plot lines.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I am glad you enjoy this book. It sounds fun to read. I see myself reading it for the future. Great review as usual.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The title is catchy. I haven't read any books related to the medical side but scenario like these do take place for real. Love to read it I get a chance. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

I liked the cover and the review convinced me to read it. I like books that talk about medical stuff and if there is a crime or something to investigate even better
KING FRANKLIN
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-king-franklin.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by KING FRANKLIN »

I haven't read a medical thriller before but I'll read this one because I think the title is catchy. I like your review and I think the plot is great too.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”