Official Review: Running Amok by Paul Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: Running Amok by Paul Hughes

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running Amok" by Paul Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running Amok by Paul Hughes is a C/T/M/H novel that immerses the reader into a world of plotting, manslaughter, and suspense to relate the story—set in the 1960s—of a New Scotland Yard (NSY) Detective Sergeant (DS) Kevin Devlin. The DS has just moved from Glasgow to a “swinging” London. While heading to work after a good old gym workout, he gets tailed by a stranger. Though Devlin “almost” captures his follower, the DS ends up with a concussion, requiring six stitches to his head. And this event marks Devlin’s official entry into the tricky web of conspiracy and murder that the NSY has been trying to break out of for quite some time.

With a new boss to report to—thanks to the old one being murdered—can Devlin work the never-ending string of mysterious cases out or will he join the line of people getting murdered one by one? Are some members of the MI5 involved in these murders?

Running Amok is book 2 of the DCI Spearing and DI Devlin Series. I have not had the opportunity to read book 1 yet, and so I had no idea what to expect from this one. However, the way the author managed to create the perfect blend, introducing tidbits from the personal lives of the main characters in between episodes from their professional lives, piqued my interest and the story seemed to flow smoothly without a hitch thereafter.

The author successfully creates the feel of the “psychedelic period” of England, when drinks and drugs flowed freely, the Beatles had weighed in with their iconic “Sergeant Peppers” album, Jimi Hendrix had emerged in that “Purple Haze,” and the peace movement and protests proclaiming the need for love set the mood along with the weed. When Hughes says it is 1967, you can imagine 1967 even if you haven’t seen that time period yourself in life. That’s how well the author has set the background for the story.

The book has brilliant character development—from those of the officers’ assistants right down to the murder victims (and there were many of the latter). While the author masterfully created two strong, capable female characters that are said to be in an intimate relationship, the readers were also given an insightful look into the changing laws on homosexual relationships during that period.

What I didn’t particularly like about the book is how it had a “congested” feel due to an overload of characters. Due to this, I had to flip back pages several times and reread some sections just to make sure I wasn’t confusing the characters. Some scenes ended too abruptly and I was left feeling that some of these chapters are just too dry and unsatisfying. For instance, the chapter that introduces one of the main characters of the book—The Fox—was too short, not overly informative, and confusing for the most part. If the character means enough that he is given an entire chapter just for introduction, I think he deserved to be presented better to the readers. There were also errors like missing and misplaced words and punctuation, awkward sentences, and multiple grammatical issues.

Owing to the aforementioned errors, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. A gory scene describing the events connected to a particular murder makes the book inappropriate for young readers. However, if you love reading stories of murder conspiracies, then you will appreciate this book.

Running Amok
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I for one completely commiserate with your dislike for character overloads. If there is a multitudinous array of people to follow, I fervently wish for character lists.
I appreciated your thoughtful review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

NL Hartje wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 02:42 I for one completely commiserate with your dislike for character overloads. If there is a multitudinous array of people to follow, I fervently wish for character lists.
I appreciated your thoughtful review!
I am glad I found someone who agrees with me on the character overload point. It gets tedious sometimes. Books go up several levels just when this one wrinkle is ironed out.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I really dislike when an author overloads you with characters. That ruins just about every book for me. I do enjoy a good novel set in the 60s, though. I may have to try this anyway. But with my backlog of books to read, I doubt I'll get to it any time soon. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A murderous conspiracy with great characters is my sort of book! Shame it seemed a little overcrowded at times, and that the editing could have been better.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Not my genre, but your review does it justice. Nice job.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 08:10 I really dislike when an author overloads you with characters. That ruins just about every book for me. I do enjoy a good novel set in the 60s, though. I may have to try this anyway. But with my backlog of books to read, I doubt I'll get to it any time soon. Thanks for the review, though.
The author does a great job with creating that 60s vibe. It's like sitting in the now and looking back at another era. I hope you get to read this sometime soon.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:55 Not my genre, but your review does it justice. Nice job.
I am glad you think so! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment :)
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

joshfee77 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 06:48 A murderous conspiracy with great characters is my sort of book! Shame it seemed a little overcrowded at times, and that the editing could have been better.
Oh yes. It doesn't feel like editing has been done at all in the book. That's a huge disappointment. Otherwise, it's a light, breezy read.

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I love good character development and murder mysteries, but the numberous characters would be a bit much for me. I don't like feeling overwhelmed by all the extra things to remember. Thanks for a great review!
v_for_vincent
Favorite Book: Good to Great
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by v_for_vincent »

I'm going to check this book out. Thanks.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Give me a good murder mystery and you'll never know I am in the room. :) I have no problem with many characters in a book as long as they are well portrayed and they have a meaningful role in the story. I may try this one although I'd like to read book one of the series. Thanks for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

SABRADLEY wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 12:13 I love good character development and murder mysteries, but the numberous characters would be a bit much for me. I don't like feeling overwhelmed by all the extra things to remember. Thanks for a great review!
Hey, I know the feeling! I read to take a break from real life and take it easy in the world inside the book. But if it's making me work SO much for it, I think twice about reading it.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a review! :romance-heartbeating:
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

A character overload very rarely works out. It's such a shame because it makes a book so hard to follow and enjoy. I really enjoyed your review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Roc Madness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roc-madness.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Roc Madness »

1960s murder conspiracy plot - my kind of book. I'll give it a try. Nice job on the review. I'll share it.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”