Official Review: Running Amok by Paul Hughes

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joellas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joellas.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Re: Official Review: Running Amok by Paul Hughes

Post by joellas »

Now I know am not alone in this. I so hate character overload by authors, having to flip back to recheck the different characters is quite tedious.
CasualBookReader
Favorite Book: How to be a writer: Building your creative skills through practice and play
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-casualbookreader.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by CasualBookReader »

Samy Lax wrote: 31 May 2018, 09:14 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Running Amok" by Paul Hughes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Running Amok by Paul Hughes is a C/T/M/H novel that immerses the reader into a world of plotting, manslaughter, and suspense to relate the story—set in the 1960s—of a New Scotland Yard (NSY) Detective Sergeant (DS) Kevin Devlin. The DS has just moved from Glasgow to a “swinging” London. While heading to work after a good old gym workout, he gets tailed by a stranger. Though Devlin “almost” captures his follower, the DS ends up with a concussion, requiring six stitches to his head. And this event marks Devlin’s official entry into the tricky web of conspiracy and murder that the NSY has been trying to break out of for quite some time.

With a new boss to report to—thanks to the old one being murdered—can Devlin work the never-ending string of mysterious cases out or will he join the line of people getting murdered one by one? Are some members of the MI5 involved in these murders?

Running Amok is book 2 of the DCI Spearing and DI Devlin Series. I have not had the opportunity to read book 1 yet, and so I had no idea what to expect from this one. However, the way the author managed to create the perfect blend, introducing tidbits from the personal lives of the main characters in between episodes from their professional lives, piqued my interest and the story seemed to flow smoothly without a hitch thereafter.

The author successfully creates the feel of the “psychedelic period” of England, when drinks and drugs flowed freely, the Beatles had weighed in with their iconic “Sergeant Peppers” album, Jimi Hendrix had emerged in that “Purple Haze,” and the peace movement and protests proclaiming the need for love set the mood along with the weed. When Hughes says it is 1967, you can imagine 1967 even if you haven’t seen that time period yourself in life. That’s how well the author has set the background for the story.

The book has brilliant character development—from those of the officers’ assistants right down to the murder victims (and there were many of the latter). While the author masterfully created two strong, capable female characters that are said to be in an intimate relationship, the readers were also given an insightful look into the changing laws on homosexual relationships during that period.

What I didn’t particularly like about the book is how it had a “congested” feel due to an overload of characters. Due to this, I had to flip back pages several times and reread some sections just to make sure I wasn’t confusing the characters. Some scenes ended too abruptly and I was left feeling that some of these chapters are just too dry and unsatisfying. For instance, the chapter that introduces one of the main characters of the book—The Fox—was too short, not overly informative, and confusing for the most part. If the character means enough that he is given an entire chapter just for introduction, I think he deserved to be presented better to the readers. There were also errors like missing and misplaced words and punctuation, awkward sentences, and multiple grammatical issues.

Owing to the aforementioned errors, I award this book 3 out of 4 stars. A gory scene describing the events connected to a particular murder makes the book inappropriate for young readers. However, if you love reading stories of murder conspiracies, then you will appreciate this book.

Running Amok
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
That definitely sounds like something I would enjoy reading!!
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

Manslaughter and suspense? Count me in! This book sound so interesting, I love creepy and suspenseful books. This one is my type. I will have to read it soon.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Good conspiracy plot. Character overload won't really matter if they are well shown. Would be a very easy book to read without so much characters.
Good review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
grace8031
Currently Reading: Rats on the train
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace8031.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by grace8031 »

Murder, plotting and mystery are kind of my books . seems DI Devlin is in for a ride . Would love to know what he finds out
T2theTABU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t2thetabu.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by T2theTABU »

Excellent review, though this is definitely not my genre. It takes a patient reader and reviewer to read the entire thing despite awkward sentences and so many other spelling/grammar errors. I just posted my first review and gave the book a 2 out of 4 despite having no apparent spelling/grammar/punctuation issues! Perhaps I'm too harsh! I definitely love an author who pays attention to tone and setting though, so it's wonderful to hear this author called up the spirit of 1967 for you.
Mhiz Haryourmiedae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mhiz Haryourmiedae »

I so much love books set in the 60s,it's so inspiring though I haven't finished it.Ill be sure to finish it soon....Nice job
Leslie123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Leslie123 »

Being a freshman in this field, i could say that i cant remember all the names and their roles in the story. Might as well limit the characters and focus on the storyline. Thanks!
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Good review. No doubt it, this book seems to be running amok. :)
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:
Sumra Abbas
Currently Reading: Bama Boy
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sumra Abbas »

Its nicely written novel. However, multitude characters sometimes sabotage its taste. Fewer characters keep reader more engaged - being suggestive. Overall its plot is appealing as it supports my taste.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Not really a genre I usually pick up and your review pretty much sealed that decision. Add in the overcrowding of characters and the confusion that causes and it makes it a definite pass. Thanks for the review! I'd rather learn that I probably won't like a book BEFORE I actually wade into it and end up stopping.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
teevic_o
Currently Reading: Paladin
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teevic-o.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by teevic_o »

I completely understand how extreme insight of a character can feel confusing and congested, but I'd like to agree to disagree. I for one enjoy 'cracking' complex characters and trying to find out if I can guess the character just by their behaviour for instance. I am a sucker for books with character development, though I'm not a thriller and suspense fan, this review has definitely done a convincing job of persuading me.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Samy Lax wrote: 31 May 2018, 09:14 When Hughes says it is 1967, you can imagine 1967 even if you haven’t seen that time period yourself in life. That’s how well the author has set the background for the story.
How great that this author was adept at creating a vivid narrative. I would enjoy being caught up in the 60s in England. Thanks for the beautiful review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kgaelsdottir
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kgaelsdottir.html
Latest Review: Final Report by Jeff Shear

Post by Kgaelsdottir »

This is one I'd like to read as it sounds fascinating; I just often get hung up on grammatical and punctuation errors. And if I have to refer back to former pages to try to understand who a character is, because it's perhaps one or two too many to keep reasonable track, that's another frustration I might not enjoy too much.
Rick Swan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rick-swan.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Rick Swan »

Samy Lax wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 03:30
NL Hartje wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 02:42 I for one completely commiserate with your dislike for character overloads. If there is a multitudinous array of people to follow, I fervently wish for character lists.
I appreciated your thoughtful review!
I am glad I found someone who agrees with me on the character overload point. It gets tedious sometimes. Books go up several levels just when this one wrinkle is ironed out.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :romance-heartbeating:
Agreed. It's frustrating having to reread sections. Thanks for bringing that point up in your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”