Official Review: Her Charm Was Contagious

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: Her Charm Was Contagious

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Charm Was Contagious" by Dimitri Markov ndp.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As a medical practitioner, I have encountered a significant number of doctors and other healthcare providers, and I relish the intricacies of medicine. Her Charm Was Contagious by Dimitri Markov is a medical fiction book in the series of Dangerous Doctors. It is written from a third-person narrative perspective. The work explores the lives of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers – their day-to-day activities and their actions with the corresponding implications.

The book opens in the fictional private hospital – Haven General. The hospital’s medical group, Haven Medical Associates, comprises four partners. Dr. Vincent Pasternak is the medical group’s founder. He is a whiz at primary care diagnosis and treatment, but he reacts poorly to criticism and is believed to be sometimes paranoid. Dr. Stanley Beiberstein is the self-centered cardiologist. He has a combative personality, and he is involved in an on-going feud with Dr. Pasternak. Dr. Evrett Westerhauser is the group’s gastroenterologist. He is often reserved, and the other partners barely know him personally. Dr. Keith Tamborer is the most junior partner. He has a strong moral compass, and he prefers to work in the E.R. rather than the clinic.

One night in the E.R., while Keith is on call, thirty-six-year-old Alex Winston is wheeled in gasping and panting. Despite all efforts to save him by Keith and Stanley, he ultimately dies. Coincidentally, he was in the hospital a few weeks prior to his death. He consulted with Vincent and received a clean bill of health. His wife, and Stanley, suspects foul play. Stanley identifies the prevailing situation as an opportunity to force out Vincent from the group. The tension rapidly escalates, and the ensuing drama implicates the charming medical representative, MaryBeth Mullin.

I appreciate the technical aspects of the book. The medical processes and procedures are gracefully articulated and engaging. It is even more commendable that the author stylishly inserts definitions for medical parlances employed. Since Markov (his true name is Donald H. Marks) is a physician as well, I believe the caliber of the book is amplified by his experience. Furthermore, he expounds the hopes, fears, and motivations of physicians intently; I laud his ratiocination and savoir faire.

Nevertheless, the book contains a surfeit of grammatical errors, misspellings, and punctuation slips. Double periods are used after the abbreviation “E.R.” when it ends sentences, and there are several instances of the use of only one comma while employing parenthetical expressions. Although most of the characters are well-developed, Evrett remains a mystery throughout the book (even to the reader). I dislike this choice by the author because the character could have benefited from a worthier characterization. In addition, there are several erotic and violent references in the book; hence, it is inappropriate for younger audiences.

I award the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite its deficits, it is concise, fluid, and satisfactorily enjoyable. I would recommend it to lovers of titles in the C/T/M/H genre, especially medical fiction devotees.

Her Charm Was Contagious
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

ayoomisope wrote: 30 May 2018, 22:00 The work explores the lives of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers – their day-to-day activities and their actions with the corresponding implications.
I worked in a hospital through some college, and I absolutely loved the beehive-like feel of the little city within itself. Although descriptions of daily routines may sound mundane to some, I know first-hand that in a hospital, it couldn't be further from the truth! The idea of this one excites me! Thanks for the review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I can tell you that I have encountered characters such as the doctors mentioned in this book. The story sounds so intriguing. Thank you for a great review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The premise is interesting, and it seems like a fast-paced read. Thanks for the review!
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

It is always excellent when professionals writes a book that incorporates their expertise. It adds such authenticity to the story. This medical fiction story sounds interesting. Thank you for your thorough review.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

NL Hartje wrote: 31 May 2018, 20:58
ayoomisope wrote: 30 May 2018, 22:00 The work explores the lives of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers – their day-to-day activities and their actions with the corresponding implications.
I worked in a hospital through some college, and I absolutely loved the beehive-like feel of the little city within itself. Although descriptions of daily routines may sound mundane to some, I know first-hand that in a hospital, it couldn't be further from the truth! The idea of this one excites me! Thanks for the review!
Thanks. Although the high number of patients to attend to can be tiring, it is quite an experience working in a hospital
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! Medical negligence or any of this issues are such nerve-wracking topics for me. I guess it must be very hard to paint a complete multidimensional character because we tend to see doctors as "almighty", but mistakes do happen.
With good editing, sounds like a potentially profitable book, most of us love medical drama.
Thank you for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds like one I'm going to for sure have to look at. I love medical fiction and have always been interested in medical shows, books, etc... Thanks for the information!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

crediblereading2 wrote: 31 May 2018, 21:36 I can tell you that I have encountered characters such as the doctors mentioned in this book. The story sounds so intriguing. Thank you for a great review.
I have as well. It is the negligent ones that baffle me though. Thanks.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

Lunastella wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 06:45 Wow! Medical negligence or any of this issues are such nerve-wracking topics for me. I guess it must be very hard to paint a complete multidimensional character because we tend to see doctors as "almighty", but mistakes do happen.
With good editing, sounds like a potentially profitable book, most of us love medical drama.
Thank you for your review.
I wasn't aware many readers like medical fiction books. I thought only readers with medical backgrounds would enjoy such tales. Thanks for the comment though.
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:

Post by ayoomisope »

gen_g wrote: 31 May 2018, 22:46 The premise is interesting, and it seems like a fast-paced read. Thanks for the review!
Thanks for the comment. However, the story slowly builds until the last few chapters where it becomes fast-paced.
― Charles William Eliot
Majaliwa Abiba Alice
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 234
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiba-alice.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Majaliwa Abiba Alice »

Wow! The drama is intriguing. This is the kind of book I would love to read. I honestly want to know why Stanley would suspect foul play in Alex's death....Beautiful Review!
Ugbusco
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Ugbusco »

The story is so real. It depicts what is obtainable in our contemporary society. The medical work must be taken very seriously because any form of mistake can end life.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a medical drama/mystery I would enjoy reading. I appreciate the recommendation!
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

An enjoyable read about doctor's lives and practices. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”