Official Review: What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I &...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Official Review: What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I &...

Post by Sarah_Khan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I & II EDITTED" by Katherine de Bois.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What Happened to Paul Carter? Vol I & II edited by Katherine de Bois is the most thrilling, nail biting, emotional non-fiction memoir you will ever read. This book tells the story of the author’s life, how a normal, average, everyday, single mom ended up confronting a man that was paid to kill her.

When Katherine de Bois met the rich and charismatic Paul Carter, she thought life was finally being good to her, even though he sounded too good to be true, she thought that he was a gift for her after all the hard things she had to go through. The events that occur in Katherine’s life after she meets Paul are so unbelievable, that no one could have made them up. Katherine ends up on the run for her life while still trying to unravel the lies Paul left her with.

I had the opportunity to read both volumes of this book. The first volume establishes the relationship of Katherine and Paul, we read about their whirlwind courtship and engagement. The second book starts off after Katherine finds out some shocking truths about Paul and this leads to her having to find out more and figure out what all this means for her.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading these two volumes. I usually do not read memoirs or any sort of non-fiction, but this book is written like a novel and the events are so unimaginable that you will probably forget that all of this happened to a real person. This book has everything anyone could ask for romance, betrayal, action, and thrills. I do not want to spoil any of the book so I will not mention any of the crazy events that happened, you are just going to have to pick up the book and find out for yourselves.

The thing I will remember the most about this book is the pure raw emotion the author was capable of writing. There were certain scenes that I am sure must have been difficult to share, but I am truly grateful the author decided to include those in this story. Since this is a true story we are able to understand the complex nature of the human psyche. We are taken into Katherine mind and see her battle with contradicting emotions towards the man that has ruined her life. While we may not agree with all her decisions, after her authentic emotional inner dialogue we cannot help but understand her.

Even though the plot of this book was enticing, I did feel like it was a little too long. In the second volume, I started feeling like Katherine's thoughts were being repeated one too many times. My only other complaint was the number of grammatical errors. There were enough of them to be distracting. Both volume one and two need to go through another thorough round of editing. Which is why in the end, I decided to give this book 3 out of 4 stars.

When you pick up this book, you will see that in the first few pages there is a warning that this book has content that might trigger certain people. Therefore, I would only recommend this to adults. This book does include a few explicit sex scenes, curse words, and rape. What Happened to Paul Carter? Vol I & II edited by Katherine de Bois is still the best memoir I have ever read and the author’s goal is to get her story heard, so I hope you pick this book up and share it!

What Happened to Paul Carter? VOL I & II EDITTED
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah_Khan's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Goodness! This sounds just like a fictional story. I'm having a hard time believing this actually happened. I'm not usually interested in memoirs, but this one sounds like a must read! Too bad about the editing, but the story sounds engrossing enough that it shouldn't matter. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds fascinating! It is a pity about the editing errors, I'm sure it would be a much smoother read once corrected. Thanks for the review!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Wow! I cannot imagine the events of my life unraveling in such a way that I would be able to write not one, but two, volumes of work! Maybe she'll get an editor and release a second round.

Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Onyejefu1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Onyejefu1 »

That's good I can't imagine the event of my life unruly in such a way I would Abel to write not one but three volume of story
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

The craziest thing about your first paragraph is that the story is non-fiction. Wow.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”