Official Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Official Review: Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner

Post by Helen_Combe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Toxic Side Effect" by Sandy Magner.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Toxic Side Effect by Sandy Magner is the sequel to Pocket Dial but it stands up well as an independent book. Jennifer Burns’s father, Robert, is murdered and her mother is the prime suspect, so Jennifer sets out to find the real culprit. With Robert’s death, a family secret is revealed which leaves Jennifer feeling shocked and betrayed.

The story starts out well with an exciting race to the hospital, but the pace slows thereafter. The main problem with this story is the lack of suspects. I had my perp chosen very early in the book. I got the ’who’ and the ’how’ quite quickly but had to read to the end of the book to get the ’why’.

The author wasn’t terribly subtle in the dropping of clues. The murder weapon has a whole host of legal uses which could have been mentioned, but only one was considered. Sometimes the author used devices to draw your attention away from a clue or suspect, but I was reminded of Macbeth where ’the lady doth protest too much’. The attempts to distract actually drew the focus. I was spotting clues well ahead of the characters and impatiently waiting for them to twig the significance.

I also found the book unrealistic. Usually, people who execute their own investigations do so with the protests of the police ringing in their ears. Frankly, Jennifer should have been put on the payroll as she did most of their work, collecting evidence and interviewing suspects, with their blessing. Actually, Jennifer herself should have been a suspect. It’s not just wives who get jealous; daughters do too.

I’m afraid I found the book rather slow. However, it’s a good advert for the previous book. Jennifer’s past history is trickle-fed into the story and I found myself wishing I was reading Pocket Dial. It seemed a lot more exciting.

The story is well written and is an easy read. I only found five or six typos, such as ’wear’ instead of ’where’ and ’ar’ instead of ’car’. Altogether it wasn’t a bad book, but it’s not one that I would recommend to my friends, so I can’t give it 3 stars. If I could, I would give it 2.5 as I would say that it is better than ’fair’. However, I can only give whole stars, so it has to be 2 out of 4 stars.

Although I wouldn’t recommend the book to hardened crime fans, it did tell of the impact of infidelity on a family’s trust and cohesion, so would appeal to people who enjoy family drama.

Toxic Side Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Helen_Combe's review? Post a comment saying so!
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Helen_Combe wrote: 30 May 2018, 06:39 Jennifer Burns’s father, Robert, is murdered and her mother is the prime suspect, so Jennifer sets out to find the real culprit. With Robert’s death, a family secret is revealed which leaves Jennifer feeling shocked and betrayed ... I had my perp chosen very early in the book. I got the ’who’ and the ’how’ quite quickly but had to read to the end of the book to get the ’why’ ... The author wasn’t terribly subtle in the dropping of clues ... The attempts to distract actually drew the focus.
A great premise that, unfortunately, wasn't well-executed. Thanks for the thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

SamSim wrote: 31 May 2018, 08:52
Helen_Combe wrote: 30 May 2018, 06:39 Jennifer Burns’s father, Robert, is murdered and her mother is the prime suspect, so Jennifer sets out to find the real culprit. With Robert’s death, a family secret is revealed which leaves Jennifer feeling shocked and betrayed ... I had my perp chosen very early in the book. I got the ’who’ and the ’how’ quite quickly but had to read to the end of the book to get the ’why’ ... The author wasn’t terribly subtle in the dropping of clues ... The attempts to distract actually drew the focus.
A great premise that, unfortunately, wasn't well-executed. Thanks for the thorough review!
Thank you :tiphat:
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I read this book and I rated it 2 out of 4 as well.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

KristyKhem wrote: 31 May 2018, 21:46 I read this book and I rated it 2 out of 4 as well.
Always good to know that other people have similar opinions. Thanks for posting.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Just reading the review for this book, I would probably give it 2 stars as well. The review itself of the book was great. Keep up the good work.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

Amy+++ wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 10:23 Just reading the review for this book, I would probably give it 2 stars as well. The review itself of the book was great. Keep up the good work.
Thanks very much.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! I am also turned off by books that are unrealistic, so I am glad that I came across your warning. I will have to give this a pass.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

You are very welcome. :D the review was very informative.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

gen_g wrote: 01 Jun 2018, 11:50 Thank you for the detailed review! I am also turned off by books that are unrealistic, so I am glad that I came across your warning. I will have to give this a pass.
Thank you. Thanks for posting.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I just downloaded this one. The first few pages are fast paced. I'd love to check back in once I'm further in.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

FictionLover wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 07:58 I just downloaded this one. The first few pages are fast paced. I'd love to check back in once I'm further in.
Please do, it’s always interesting to know what other people think.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Helen_Combe wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 09:26
FictionLover wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 07:58 I just downloaded this one. The first few pages are fast paced. I'd love to check back in once I'm further in.
Please do, it’s always interesting to know what other people think.
I will. First, I have to finish Hardcore Twenty-Four by Janet Evanovich. That one is a library book, and I'm about half through. But I should get to it in few days. :)
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like a good mystery, but it sounds like this one fell flat. Thanks for the review.
Helen_Combe
Currently Reading:

Post by Helen_Combe »

teacherjh wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 17:19 I like a good mystery, but it sounds like this one fell flat. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for posting.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”