Official Review: Fortitude by Paul McParland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Fortitude by Paul McParland

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fortitude" by Paul McParland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hitchcockian thriller Fortitude by Paul McParland is a quick, entertaining read, and not just because it’s fast-paced.

Jack Sheraton goes out for a night at the theater, only to have a man say the word “fortitude” to him before collapsing in his lap. Unfortunately for Jack, this man has a knife in his back and is identified as Karl Schmidt, a German diplomat in London on important business. Accused of murdering Schmidt, Jack is forced to run for it. He seeks help from Elsie, an old friend, and Thomas Whale, a reporter. With their aid, Jack must not only prove his innocence but also find out who murdered Schmidt to prevent an international incident.

This book hits the ground running, a bit literally, and keeps up the pace until the end. There’s definitely the feel of a classic mystery novel here. The humor and situations fondly reminded me a bit of Raymond Chandler. I couldn’t help but like the characters and their hijinks. At times, they felt a bit one-dimensional—Elsie, especially, as the beautiful and innocent friend of the hero—but even so, I still liked them.

Events unfold very quickly, sometimes almost a bit too quickly. More than once, I was left wondering how characters knew something or where they got their information. In some of these situations, it felt as if they were bestowed with divine knowledge from the author, who needed them to know something in order to move the story forward. For example, there is a key to a safety deposit at an unidentified bank that’s associated with Schmidt’s murder. Jack and his coconspirators go to several banks with no luck. They decide to try a private bank and hatch an elaborate plan to break in, without even knowing if it’s the place they’re looking for. This type of thing left me shaking my head, but the characters inevitably got me giggling and not caring about the confusion.

Aside from the main characters, we are treated to the thoughts of various other people throughout the story. There are little asides into the minds of characters who are unrelated to the larger plot and whom we never see again. This disrupted my reading experience the first time or two it happened. By the third, I realized this was part of the writing style and found it less jarring. If you are the type of reader who finds this type of thing disruptive in large amounts, you may wish to avoid this book, even if some of the asides are quite humorous.

There’s also a bit of hopping between perspectives without warning. This did jar me throughout, more because I wasn’t sure when it happened. I’d be reading along and then suddenly have no idea why a character was having such odd thoughts. I’d go back and discover we were with a different character. It took me a bit to regain my reading momentum after these incidents, but once I did, things flowed smoothly.

I rate Fortitude 3 out of 4 stars. Many of the things that bugged me while reading are subjective—the head hopping and asides, in particular. I am unable to give the book 4 stars due to a multitude of grammar and spelling errors, as well as missing or repeated words throughout. Despite the issues I’ve mentioned, the characters were too endearing to rate this 2 stars. Fair warning, the Hitchcockian ending is in full swing, so if that’s not something you like, I suggest skipping this one. Otherwise, I recommend this for Hitchcock fans, as well as those who enjoy a fast-paced and fun mystery-thriller.

Fortitude
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Hitchcockian books are okay but mystery is not my genre. Your review was detailed enough that if I was a fan of mystery I would probably read it. I was also not sure if I would have had your patience on having to back track in order to regain the story line. All in all thank you for an informative review.
Dragonfly6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonfly6.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Dragonfly6 »

I appreciate your thorough and interesting review! I enjoy Alfred Hitchcock stories, as well as crime, mystery and thriller stories, but based on some of the things you described, I think I will pass on this one. In addition to the grammar and spelling errors, I would find the skipping around difficult to get past. I also would find the lack of character development and introduction of unnecessary people distracting. Thanks for the helpful information!
"A room without books is like a body without a soul." ~ Cicero
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

desantismt_17 wrote: 25 May 2018, 12:12 More than once, I was left wondering how characters knew something or where they got their information. In some of these situations, it felt as if they were bestowed with divine knowledge from the author, who needed them to know something in order to move the story forward. For example, there is a key to a safety deposit at an unidentified bank that’s associated with Schmidt’s murder. Jack and his coconspirators go to several banks with no luck. They decide to try a private bank and hatch an elaborate plan to break in, without even knowing if it’s the place they’re looking for. This type of thing left me shaking my head
You're clearly more chilled than I am - that would drive me bonkers. This sounds to me like a really talented author in need of a good editor - I mean the type that make you re-write, as well as organising professional proof-reading. Great review, though, I really enjoyed reading it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like a truly fascinating murder plot with a lot of twists and thrills. The author is truly talented. Thank you for your very thorough review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”