Official Review: Boston Burning by Eric Salin

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Official Review: Boston Burning by Eric Salin

Post by starshipsaga »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Boston Burning" by Eric Salin.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Boston Burning is an action-packed suspense-thriller written by Eric Salin. Most of the story takes place over seven fraught days of paranoia and fear as the city of Boston is held under siege by a ruthless terrorist named Hassan Bucheri. Known as “The Fox”, Bucheri is every counter terrorism unit’s worst nightmare—he’s highly educated, professionally trained by the old KGB, and has been the mastermind behind some of the worst terror attacks the world has ever seen. On the cusp of retirement, he’s even more dangerous now that he has nothing to lose, and there’s also no negotiating with someone whose only goal is revenge.

No one knows this better than Harley Jones, formerly of the Army Special Forces as well as the FBI. Still grieving for a friend who died in a crisis negotiation gone wrong, Harley has been involved in everything from combat in the Vietnam War to undercover operations for US Intelligence. Now he has been called upon to serve his country once again, heading up the effort to stop Bucheri’s reign of terror on Boston. However, The Fox is a wily foe who keeps evading law enforcement at every turn, and as the body count rises amidst the mounting violence and chaos, Harley has no choice but to pull out all the stops in order to save the city.

Boston Burning hooked me from the start. The author created tension by swiftly introducing all of the story’s major characters on both sides of the conflict, switching frequently between perspectives to show different views of what’s going on across the city. Over time, the cast list expands even more as Bucheri begins launching his attacks, requiring the attention of multiple agencies at all levels of government.

Much of the book, however, is focused on the actions and decisions of Hassan Bucheri and Harley Jones. Harvard-educated, Bucheri is a smart enemy who understands American culture and politics, using the media to sow more panic while the good guys have their hands tied with miles of red tape and bureaucracy. As the city suffers attack after attack, the story begins revealing the psychological effects on the populace, which is gripped with anxiety and paranoia. Just when you think the situation can’t get worse for Boston, the violence continues to escalate to new and terrible levels. Throw in a couple of betrayals and some dissension among the ranks of Harley’s team, and you have yourself an intensely addictive read.

Here, the author also examines the difficult and emotionally wrought question of “Freedom versus Security”—an age-old debate which asks whether safety is worth the price of giving up certain individual liberties while allowing the government more control to do what it deems necessary. This is the problem Harley is faced with, watching the death toll rise as Bucheri gains the upper hand again and again. Some readers might condemn Harley’s decisions, such as suppressing the news media, lying to the public, or tapping into civilians’ phone conversations. However, it’s also hard not to sympathize with his position, considering some of the traumatic experiences in his past and the fact that all he wants is to save as many lives as possible. This book confronts us with all sorts of moral gray areas, making you ponder just how far you would be willing to go if it means preventing the deaths of hundreds of thousands.

Eric Salin’s background as a former Marine Corps officer and engineer also makes him very knowledgeable on the topics in this novel, which shows in his writing as he covers law enforcement, military, and intelligence operations at every level. The only area of concern I can think of is the huge number of agencies and characters involved, as well as the frequent point-of-view changes that can make following the plot difficult and a little confusing. However, this is only an issue at the beginning, and the good news is that you get used to the story’s rhythm quite quickly. There’s also a list of characters and a glossary of terms provided at the end of the book, which might be helpful to review first before starting to read.

In addition, the book feels professionally edited, containing only a few errors. I could count the mistakes I spotted on one hand, and all of them were very minor at that.

All in all, I’m happy to give Boston Burning a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Featuring a gripping story about the struggle between good and evil, the novel’s intense atmosphere and dynamic pacing along with its thought-provoking themes will make this one a perfect choice for thriller fans.

Boston Burning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like starshipsaga's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This book definitely sounds intense especially as "The Fox" is so highly trained! I'm glad, as well, that is was so well edited. That makes me want to pick this book up and see what happens. Thanks so much.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review - the premise is intriguing, and it seems like a fast-paced and exciting read!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds great! I like how you described it as "a gripping story about the struggle between good and evil... intense atmosphere and dynamic pacing along with its thought-provoking themes." What's not to like? I also appreciate the excellence in editing. Thank you for an informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 May 2018, 07:49 Wow! This book definitely sounds intense especially as "The Fox" is so highly trained! I'm glad, as well, that is was so well edited. That makes me want to pick this book up and see what happens. Thanks so much.
Yes, one of the best things about this book was the chance to see the opposition and get a glimpse into the scary mind of the main antagonist. Thank you for your comment!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This book reminds me of why I used to love watching 24. I love the examination of human nature that the premise allows for and it forces the readers to conduct a debate within themselves about heavy issues - those "gray areas" you referred to. No matter what side of these issues someone is on, these kinds of stories are hard to put down. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

You had me at "action-packed suspense-thriller". This sounds like an amazing read with an intricate plot and deep characters. Tha't's how I love it.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Sounds like an exciting page-turner book to be added to one's bookshelf.
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

SamSim wrote: 24 May 2018, 13:03 This book reminds me of why I used to love watching 24. I love the examination of human nature that the premise allows for and it forces the readers to conduct a debate within themselves about heavy issues - those "gray areas" you referred to. No matter what side of these issues someone is on, these kinds of stories are hard to put down. Great review!
I'm glad you mentioned 24, because there were definitely a few moments here that brought me back to that show, which I used to love watching as well. Harley wasn't a field agent like Jack Bauer, but there were a lot of tough calls he had to make, including ordering his people to do some unsavory things (like "enhanced interrogation") to try and stop the attacks. The style of writing and the scenes giving readers a play-by-play of events happening across the city also reminded me very much of the show's format.

Thank you to everyone for their comments, by the way!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Out of curiosity, how is a terrorist on the cusp of retirement? I'm imagining him godfather style turning away crime syndicates in his office. "Sorry boys, I'm out of the game. You'll have to pay someone else to wreak your havoc." :lol2:
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

The plot sounds intriguing; I might give this book a go. The battle of good against evil is always an interesting one to see play out Well done on the review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I like the fact that the book addresses the 'Freedom v Security' issue. It's a tough one: even though it's a cliché, publicity really is like oxygen to terrorists, but who wants to see things cut out of the media? Anyway, thanks for an intelligent and detailed review.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

I like a book with some technical details wrapped up in a story. I'll put this book on my "Want to Read" list.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

Nice review,making to be in love with the novel already, it's my kind of novel
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

YES. I love me some suspense and action! 8) This one has to go on my "to read list" for sure! Superb review mate :wink2:

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”