Official Review: Return of the Brethren by P.G. Barnett

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Official Review: Return of the Brethren by P.G. Barnett

Post by Tbunde5 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Return of the Brethren" by P.G. Barnett.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Return of the Brethren is the second book in The Gifter’s Ring Saga by P. G. Barnett. It continues the tale of the struggle between the Brethren and the Coven, two groups from the same dimension, both trapped on Earth. Both groups live among us in human form; however, their motivations are completely different. The Coven has assimilated into human society and wishes nothing more than to live in peace. The Brethren desire nothing but ultimate power and control. For generations, the members of the Coven have succeeded in minimizing the effects of the Brethren and trapping their most powerful leaders inside the Gifter’s Ring. They have even successfully destroyed the bridge connecting our world to theirs, essentially cutting off the ability of the Brethren to grow in power.

Now, however, a child has been born who contains the power of both groups, as well as the power to once again open the bridge between worlds. The Brethren, led by the Blood Countess, will stop at nothing to get her. The Coven must protect her at all cost. Here is where this volume begins. Melissa’s daughter, Angie, is the key. To protect her, Melissa has gone on the run, attempting to return home to Texas alone and prepare a safe haven for Angie. As the new government of the United States, under the control of the Brethren, seeks Angie, they set off a series of events that lead the US into a second civil war, eliminating Melissa’s ability to move safely across the country. She meets Ott, a mercenary of sorts, who agrees to help her--for a price. Drawn into the danger is Ady, who is also trying to flee to the safety of Texas.

Meanwhile, Melissa’s sister, Irene, has been hiding in England with Angie, waiting for her sister to call them home. Irene, however, is wanted for a murder she didn’t commit and is being hunted by Coop, a determined detective. When Coop catches up with Irene, he finds out first hand the power Angie holds--and the danger of the Brethren. Everything comes to a head when everyone converges on a small town in Texas. It becomes a fight for survival as the Brethren seize Angie and Melissa and attempt to open the bridge once again.

I never like to start a series in the middle, and this book is no exception. Quite a bit of the action leading up to this story apparently happened in Book One, and the author gives little to no back story to help the reader get caught up. More of the story is filled in much later in the book, when Irene explains to Coop what is going on. However, it made it difficult to really engage with the characters for a large portion of the book. Once I did, I enjoyed the characters and, finally, was drawn into the story. Of course, the book ends on a cliffhanger, but the author does a respectable job of winding down this story while building suspense for the next book in the series.

I would love to say that I am ready to go out and buy all the books so that I can read them in order and enjoy the entire story. The actual plot, once you figure it out, is very exciting, and the characters are easy to love--and hate. It has all the ingredients for great fantasy fiction—except one. This book is very poorly edited. The author has a bad habit of running several thoughts together in one sentence. For example:
Irene picked up an assault weapon, checked to ensure the safety was on, snapped the magazine out and tapped it against the bumper of the truck and then slid the magazine back in and pulled back the charging bolt and swatted it with the palm of her hand.
I constantly felt myself adding punctuation in my head just so that I could understand the author’s point. In spite of his penchant for long-winded sentences and conjunctions, the author frequently misses or misplaces commas. He uses a dash when he should use an ellipsis. There were so many editing errors that, in order to actually finish the book, I had to make a conscious effort to ignore them and focus on the storyline. Because of the multitude of errors, I can only give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Anyone who loves fantasy fiction may enjoy this series, but I caution you to start with Book One. Be prepared, however, to turn off your mental grammar check and go with the flow of the story.

Return of the Brethren
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Tbunde5's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Sounds like a great story with a lot of action and thriller in it. Too bad about the errors. I wonder where you stand in this book about the side on I would recommend this book despite the errors because it is a great action pack or I would not recommend it because the grammar stands on my way? Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The plot sounds interesting enough, but editorial errors is quite a big turn off!!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

Well, I'm glad I read your review before picking this one up. I would really struggle to turn off the mental grammar checker and would inevitably be frustrated by the experience. Between that and the need to read the series in order, I won't plan to read this one anytime soon. Thanks for the information!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Sounds like you've done sterling work on this one - a complicated scenario to sort out, with hangovers from previous book, and then, on top of that, the editing errors, which must at times have made it difficult to make sense of the narration. Hope the next book is more fun, or more rewarding, or both.
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:45 Sounds like a great story with a lot of action and thriller in it. Too bad about the errors. I wonder where you stand in this book about the side on I would recommend this book despite the errors because it is a great action pack or I would not recommend it because the grammar stands on my way? Thank you for your review!
I found it difficult to recommend outright because, to me, that implies that there are few errors. The story is a good one, although I wish I would have read the first one first. However, the author's style is difficult for me, as a teacher, to get through. For others, it may not be a problem. So yes, the story was worth the effort. I just wish it had been edited.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I absolutely love the plot of this story. The good Coven versus the evil Brethren. How will Angie bridge the gap? I am so sorry about the editorial issues. Thank you for your great review.
eimerbatchelor
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by eimerbatchelor »

sounds like it has a good narrative. I personally love reading and watching anything crime, thriller related but I feel this wouldn't be my cup of tea. not gripping enough. want more!
Tbunde5

Post by Tbunde5 »

crediblereading2 wrote: 28 May 2018, 08:52 I absolutely love the plot of this story. The good Coven versus the evil Brethren. How will Angie bridge the gap? I am so sorry about the editorial issues. Thank you for your great review.
Angie is delightful and so blissfully unaware of her role in the Brethren’s plot. You will love her.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I loathe overlong sentences and poor editing! The example you gave turned me right off this book. A shame, when the story sounded quite interesting.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

The thought of two other world entities fighting each other sounds interesting. The journey to TX seems like it's going to be wrought with many ups and downs. I just wonder what city they will end up in. Knowing myself I too would get frustrated not knowing a backstory when reading a book out of order within a series. It's unfortunate about the editing as that does detract from a smooth read. Thank you for your review.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”