Official Review: Source by Jay Klages

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Official Review: Source by Jay Klages

Post by ccrews0408 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Source" by Jay Klages.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Source: An Espionage Technothriller is book #2 in the Kade Sims series written by Jay Klages. In this book, Kade Sims is working with several government agencies to bring down The Chapter, a lethal militia organization. The Chapter has members in the US Congress, as well as globally, pushing their terrorist agendas to ultimately gain control of highly profitable traded items such as pharmaceuticals and thorium.

Each member has a computer chip embedded inside their brain that keeps all of The Chapter’s information. If the member is captured at any time or divulges any of their secrets, the chip will detonate and they will die immediately.

Sims was once a member of The Chapter, but went rogue when they planned a terrorist attack on the country. Being in this unique position, he must now figure out how to stop The Chapter’s next attack while being chipped but also using it to his advantage. Hence the technothriller genre.

Klages did an excellent job of paying close attention to detail at describing each scene. If he is describing a room, he gives the dimensions and objects inside. When discussing any particular mission or program, he thoroughly gives every minute detail through dialogue amongst the characters.

There was also, at one time, several different storylines going on at once. Of course of Kade and his team, but also of the POTUS and his team strategizing to take down The Chapter and members of an organization in China working with The Chapter. Eventually, all of the stories came together nicely.

One thing that was, in my opinion, a gift and a curse of the book was the amount of detail in it. Sometimes it was a lot of information to process and had the tendency to become a bit dry. There were quite a few action-packed scenes; however, the scenes spent explaining and providing information, far outweighed them. There was also a point in the novel where at times the author would refer to a character by their first name and then turn around and use their last name which was confusing. For example, in the dialogue between characters, the character was called Emory; however, during the narration, he was called Briggs. I had to re-read the text to ensure the author was still referring to the same person. This incident occurred a few times in the text.

I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars. All in all, I believe this was a pretty good novel. I noticed a few typos, but nothing major. I think I would have definitely benefited from reading book 1 of the series to get more of a backstory on Kade. Other than the information overload, I think anyone who enjoys a good technothriller, would enjoy this book. Based on the ending, I do believe there will be a book #3.

Source
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ccrews0408's review? Post a comment saying so!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

A rogue agent fighting against a terrorist attack... it sounds like a great read! Thanks for your informative review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

Nice review. It sounds like an action-packed movie, though a book. Thank you.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by book_worm 101 »

I've read books similar to this and I enjoyed them every single time. I'm looking forward to finding the first book and then reading this. I do hope there is a third book because usually a series has more than two books. Thank you for a beautifully written review.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Thank you for your thorough review. I understand that it must be confusing when there are too many details in a story. The plot is very interesting though and has an apocalyptic ring to it too.
Corhan2
Favorite Book: Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta #2)
Currently Reading: Land of Painted Caves
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corhan2.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Corhan2 »

Thanks for the review. The plot sounds interesting and I would like to read both the first and second book.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like exactly the type of book I look for. I might look for the series.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice to see your good review giving some insights about this techno- thriller book which is about underworld gang and your score indicates some overload info it had even though story was good
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

This is a genre I normally wouldn't be into, but this sounds like a great plot. I'm especially intrigued by the exploding head chips. It's too bad, though, about the overabundance of information, and I know I wouldn't read it without having read the first book, so I'll have to find the time to read both, now, *lol*... Thanks for the great review!
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

The story sounds action packed. You mentioned the author going into too much detail when it came to description. This is a put off for me, I may not read the book. This is a very thorough review. :tiphat:
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Thanks! The review is very helpful in giving readers just enough ideas what kind of thriller they'll be diving into without the spoilers. I like the way the protagonist, Kade Sims, is written by Jay Klages. Kade is shown to be an all-American professional who is very good at what he does, who is brave and adventurous but is not written as a mythic and larger-than-life Jack Ryan/Jack Bauer character. This guy can die, he's no Superman. But he's realistically smart, resourceful, grounded but gutsy and therefore, a survivor. And he doesn't forget to be a guy once in a while as he gets distracted by a pretty lady, why not?

The international politics that serves as the backdrop for the "Source" is very now as the economic giants of Asia have redrawn the map for power, economic growth, tension and competition in the world It's beyond Cold War because China is now US' rival in geopolitical maneuvering for trade and territorial influence. It also tackles the ever-present threat of domestic terrorism in America in a generation seeing a heated debate over gun violence and regulation. If you want a contemporary espionage thriller rooted in the present-day conflicts and challenges in the US, then this book is for you.
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review: I also missed book 1 but the little I have read in the sample which was more than eight chapters is enough to want to continue reading. It is great to read about American intelligence, searching for a mole in Congress who is making life impossible for our citizens especially with our economic trade/technology agreement with Asia. I would enjoy reading book 2 "Source." Your review has influence me to read more, and that I will do, and hope to read book 3 edition, once it is a continued series.
Halliana
Favorite Author: sylvia day
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 3447

Post by Halliana »

This seems like a full packed techno thriller :D . Which is very exciting to read. But I think its better to read the first book, since this is a series. To have a better understanding of Kade's story. It is very engaging and lots of twist and turns. And it me think if this could really happen.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”